Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second meter installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if anyone in Northern California has installed a second meter for charging the Model S. I currently use E7 TOU with solar. Looking into second meter on the E9b program which is going to change to EV program. With the current use I think that in the winter the kWh I use for charging will push me into a higher tier then the cost escalates.

Yes... had one installed at the end of March. Haven't received a single bill. Not sure why, but not complaining.

Wondering if anyone in Northern California has installed a second meter for charging the Model S. I currently use E7 TOU with solar. Looking into second meter on the E9b program which is going to change to EV program. With the current use I think that in the winter the kWh I use for charging will push me into a higher tier then the cost escalates.

Yes - I live in the Bay Area and installed a 2nd meter in December (E-9B for car; E-1 for the house), plus new solar to bring us down to zero kWh. No bills received for six months, then they all came at once in late May. E-9B is good for at least a couple of years before to potential change to proposed new rate card for the EV program (which is still pending with the public utilities commission). Regardless of what happens with the rate plan, you can still have a 2nd meter. I think it's worth it, as E-9B night rates are very low.

From a project perspective I had to apply for 2nd meter to PG&E, get a new drop to the house, add the meter as well as a 2nd panel for the car - and then run wiring to the HWPC and my 2nd 50A backup circuit (which I had installed first since I took delivery of the Tesla in December, but was still waiting for the HWPC at that point).

If you already have solar and are on an E-7, do not switch to the E-9. Or at least ask a lot of questions. The peak hours are completely different and the E-9 plans also have a "partial peak"
Solar Plan
E-7
E-9
Peak time 12n-6pm2p-9p
Peak Rate32-54cents31-56cents

Partial Peaknone7a-2p, 9p-12mid
Partial Peak Ratenone??

Off Peak6p-12noon12mid-7am
Off Peak Rate8-30cents4-20 cents
When I looked at the numbers I realized I'd get killed on my home use on the E-9. Peak goes through to 9pm. Good luck with the laundry and using the oven to cook anything....

Yes, all that is true but I will keep the E7 TOU solar for the house and the second meter will be the E9b for the car. This will prevent me going into the higher tiers in the winter. I do not have enough solar to pay for all my kWh and have no more room to add anymore. I have done the numbers and it may make sense to do the second meter depending on the total cost to do it. That is what I need to know, Pg&e will be coming up to look at my current set up and tell me what they would have to do to add the second meter. I know the cost of installing the second panel and permit fees, plus the $250 for the meter. What I do not know is the cost from Pg&e.

Last edited:
Yes, all that is true but I will keep the E7 TOU solar for the house and the second meter will be the E9b for the car. This will prevent me going into the higher tiers in the winter. I do not have enough solar to pay for all my kWh and have no more room to add anymore. I have done the numbers and it may make sense to do the second meter depending on the total cost to do it. That is what I need to know, Pg&e will be coming up to look at my current set up and tell me what they would have to do to add the second meter. I know the cost of installing the second panel and permit fees, plus the $250 for the meter. What I do not know is the cost from Pg&e.

Pg&e covers I believe up the $1,900 for any work that requires them. They covered my cost to do a drip loop for the power for the 2nd meter. Only thing I had to pay them was $99 for a second meter. The $1,900 covers having them pull a new service line if they need to change it. If you have underground power, then your screwed in terms of cost. Otherwise, don't worry about cost from the PG&e side..worry more about the electrician's cost. I spent roughly $650 in parts (new panel,3 outlets (110v, 220v for 14-50 outlet, and open box for HPWC), over 40ft of #2 gauge wire for the meter to pole, and 80 ft of #2, #6, and #12 wire for my ooutlets.) All the sheetrock was opened up to hide all the wires. Labor $500.00. Permit fee $68.

Pimp-boy, thanks for the info. That would be great, I have an overhead line from the pole to house of about 75 feet. About $1200 to install another 125 amp service, I was told the meter cost from pg&e was $250, did you pay $99?

Reading online, the meter was supposed to cost $250. But they only sent me a bill for $99. I didn't ask why or anything. PG&E will go out and do a site survey. They determined they need to replace the transformer on my street. They will determine whether your service line to your house is sufficient for both panels drawing full power. They will assign you a project manager and he will guide you and provide you with documentation of how the installation must go (how far the panel needs to be away from obstruction, different ways to install the panel, and ways to power the panel (gutter, drip loop, completely new service line, etc...)). I did the drip loop at it is the least intrusive. I didn't want to service lines going to my house. It is just having PG&E come out and split and tie the power from one weather head to the other. Just make sure you have a decent amount of wire hanging from the new weather head, otherwise, PG&E will not connect. Measure the distance between the 2 weather heads and add roughly 2 -3 feet more.

Definitely recommend having another line pulled for a 14-50 in case the HWPC craps out. :)

Chris Rousseau, was your bill really high when you received your first bill after six months? Its quite a long time since after installation to receive a bill. I drive about 2k miles a mo. and concerned about receiving a 6 mo. bill.

Yes - I live in the Bay Area and installed a 2nd meter in December (E-9B for car; E-1 for the house), plus new solar to bring us down to zero kWh. No bills received for six months, then they all came at once in late May. E-9B is good for at least a couple of years before to potential change to proposed new rate card for the EV program (which is still pending with the public utilities commission). Regardless of what happens with the rate plan, you can still have a 2nd meter. I think it's worth it, as E-9B night rates are very low.

From a project perspective I had to apply for 2nd meter to PG&E, get a new drop to the house, add the meter as well as a 2nd panel for the car - and then run wiring to the HWPC and my 2nd 50A backup circuit (which I had installed first since I took delivery of the Tesla in December, but was still waiting for the HWPC at that point).

If you already have solar and are on an E-7, do not switch to the E-9. Or at least ask a lot of questions. The peak hours are completely different and the E-9 plans also have a "partial peak"
Solar Plan
E-7
E-9
Peak time 12n-6pm2p-9p
Peak Rate32-54cents31-56cents

Partial Peaknone7a-2p, 9p-12mid
Partial Peak Ratenone??

Off Peak6p-12noon12mid-7am
Off Peak Rate8-30cents4-20 cents
When I looked at the numbers I realized I'd get killed on my home use on the E-9. Peak goes through to 9pm. Good luck with the laundry and using the oven to cook anything....

I use E6

Monday through Friday
Monday through Friday Saturday and Sunday
Off-Peak:
Winter (service from November 1 through April 30):
Summer (service from May 1 through October 31):
Peak:
1:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Partial-Peak
10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. AND 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.

Plus 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.

Partial-Peak: Off-Peak: Holidays:
5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Monday through Friday

Crisbrousseau: just finished the second meter install and they put a smart meter on that panel. I still have an analog meter on the rest of the house which is solar so net metering. PG&E say that they now have a smart meter that could be installed on the house system. Wondering if you have a smart meter or not. Heard some negative reviews when the first round of smart meters came out, some people where saying their bills went up. Your input would be appreciated.

I am in the midst of getting a third meter installed. I already have my main meter and a second meter for PV net metering. The third meter is for a pilot program with SMUD for TOU metering for EVs

SMUD Pilot.jpg