Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ahnold to Detroit: "get off your butt"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the article:
It goes from 0 to 60 in 4 seconds. It drives 130 miles an hour, and it has 250 miles on a charge, and then the recharging only takes 3 1/2 hours. Now, that’s what I call cool. And the car cost 100,000 dollars—to be exact, 98,000 dollars—and it is so popular, it sold out immediately. And now the second version is being produced, and that car, the cost will drop down to 50,000 dollars.
They keep using outdated specs...

• saying 130MPH, actual 125MPH
  • saying 250miles per charge, but actually 244 (had fallen to 220 until DT1.5 improved it again)
  • saying $98,000 but now $109,000+ (for new orders)
  • saying $50,000 estimate for Sedan but now $60,000+
I know the numbers being used aren't too far off from reality, and really they are just using old numbers, but still, slightly inflated specs cause people to wonder what else being said might be inaccurate.

And what was this weird paragraph after they quoted his speech?:
Well, Let us just wait and see if Detroit and other Michigan automakers like Chrysler Group, maker of Jeep models with quality Jeep vent visor can meet California’s emission standards in the near future.
?

They keep using outdated specs...
To be fair, that's Ahnold's mistake, not Tesla's. I appreciate his enthusiasm, though.

And what was this weird paragraph after they quoted his speech?
Yeah, no idea. I figured it was some kind of commercial. Probably a better transcript will turn up. I found the thing to be a great read. You can really hear his voice in it. "Let me tell you something..."

Good speech Arnold,
Now, California, for instance, has already a car company that’s called Tesla Motors. Tesla Motors has just designed and produced a car that’s called the Tesla Roadster. It’s 100 percent electric. Now, why is it that a car company that has never produced a car before is already producing a car with zero emissions—zero emissions—and Detroit is still lagging behind? Now, this car, let me tell you something, is a very sexy looking car. It’s really cool. I mean, I test drove it. It goes from 0 to 60 in 4 seconds. It drives 130 miles an hour, and it has 250 miles on a charge, and then the recharging only takes 3 1/2 hours. Now, that’s what I call cool. And the car cost 100,000 dollars—to be exact, 98,000 dollars—and it is so popular, it sold out immediately. And now the second version is being produced, and that car, the cost will drop down to 50,000 dollars.

Talk about old Data, why not say that you have purchased one and that it has been delivered by now.

Heard this on the radio almost a month ago, but recently came across this vid and thought it relevant to this thread.

Full video here: FORA.tv - Arnold Schwarzenegger on Keeping California Cool
Commonwealth Club of California
San Francisco, CA
Sep 26th, 2008

In signing a landmark climate change law two years ago, Governor Schwarzenegger put California ahead of the parade to a low-carbon economy. "The global warming debate is over," he declared. Public awareness has surged since then, but most of the hard work still lies ahead.

How will California meet its goal of reducing emissions of greenhouse gases 25 percent by 2020? Will offshore oil drilling be resumed? Who will pay for the transition to sustainable energy? Will California's energy and environmental laws become part of a national plan under a new president?

The governor will provide an update and his vision of the road ahead - The Commonwealth Club of California

Last edited by a moderator: