Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rebuilding after my accident

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally some good news! Parts for my Car are supposed to arrive on June 19. The accident was May 25. Can you tell that I cleaned my car the afternoon before it was hit?

With some luck, I'll be able to take my car to Teslive--It'll be tight though. After the bodywork is done, the car has to go to the Menlo Park Service Center to have airbags and seatbelts replaced. i'm going to have them fix my squeaky Pano roof and replace one of the door handles while it's there.

Attachments

• photo-5a.jpg
    photo-5a.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 1,586
Last edited:
What is the concern for battery at this point? It is still isolated I assume to vamp load is minimal if at all but was/were there any concern expressed or suggestions/expectations voiced?

Here's what Tesla had to say about the battery:
------------------------------
...Given the normal loss of range due to electronics, and the charge state of your battery pack at the time of incident, I am very confident that no long-term degradation effects will be observed regarding your standard range outside the standard curve.

Also, if the state of charge becomes exceedingly low, we have safeguards in place to minimize the chances of permanent loss of range outside normal use. For example, the vehicle will hibernate to preserve the residual charge in the individual cells. It is not until the car loses this residual value that there is any danger of long-term effects outside the standard degradation curve. The vehicle can also alert us proactively when the state of charge becomes alarmingly low, so we can enact measure to prevent long-term effects.

Usually, the vehicle must be without charge for a period of months before these effects will begin to occur, so rest assured, in this instance, you are safe.

Thanks for sharing, GasDoc.

That response addresses the "charge decay while unplugged" concerns. Have they said anything about the more mundane aspects of your battery pack? Like whether it was crushed or otherwise deformed in the collision?

Wow I thought they would total the car but I guess since it hit the front where you basically have crumple zones. Doesn't look like it even hit the front wheel. That's great!
On the one hand, I think it's a great research opportunity if there's any physical trauma at all to the pack.
On the other hand, it's a great feather in their cap to show that it was "just a flesh wound" and get it back on the road with most of the original vehicle.