Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refreshing Traffic

Refreshing Traffic

Before 4.5 I could refresh the traffic indicators in Google Maps by tapping on another app and then tapping back on the Nav app -- which would cause the entire map, including traffic, to refresh. Now the map and traffic data seem to be cached, which makes them display very quickly, but I can't find any way to cause the traffic indicators to refresh. Since I commute about an hour each way every day it's generally true that the traffic patterns change during my commute, but I can't figure out to get the traffic to update. This unfortunately makes the traffic feature pretty much useless to me. Any suggestions?

P4398
    Does Zoom In/Out refresh it?
    Model S #P4398 | VIN #8521
    60kWh+SC | Metallic Brown+Body Color Roof | Tan Leather+Obeche Gloss | 19" | Tech | Active Air | v4.4 (1.31.11) | No Fog Lights | 60 Badge | Door Handles 1.5?
    Reserved 7/5/11 | Finalized 2/6/13 | Deliver Button 4/4/13 | Delivery Window 4/19/13-5/3/13 | Final MVPA 4/11/13 | Live in App 4/15/13 | Delivered 4/18/13

Quote Originally Posted by sfisher View Post
    Before 4.5 I could refresh the traffic indicators in Google Maps by tapping on another app and then tapping back on the Nav app -- which would cause the entire map, including traffic, to refresh. Now the map and traffic data seem to be cached, which makes them display very quickly, but I can't find any way to cause the traffic indicators to refresh. Since I commute about an hour each way every day it's generally true that the traffic patterns change during my commute, but I can't figure out to get the traffic to update. This unfortunately makes the traffic feature pretty much useless to me. Any suggestions?
    I'm in your boat commute-wise.

The *only* real answer for true traffic navigation and optimization (on the fly) is WAZE!

Free GPS Navigation with Turn by Turn - Waze

It's an app for iPhone, iPad, and Android smartphones too. (EDIT: it's free) It's crowd sourced traffic updates, showing real speeds on the road, police, accidents, stalls, etc., and you can have it check your route multiple times for updated best paths home or to work. It often times will find a better route on its own while you're driving. But I find if you ask it right before key forks in route options it will do even better, usually giving you 3 updated (to the second) routes.

Good news too in that Google just bought the company this week, so we can only hope that this kind of traffic aware navigation comes to the Google system... and our internal nav on the car.

I actually use more on my iPad for bigger screen display (there's a tailored version for the iPad)... though now in my Model S, I haven't quite figured out how to get my iPad sit/stand in a good display place, without it sliding around, etc.
    Last edited by SCW-Greg; 2013-06-20 at 06:43 AM.

Ran into this issue today. Ran into stop and go traffic on a green-displayed highway. I turned the traffic button off and on and it switched to all red. Not sure if that always forces a refresh, but it worked that time.
    All EV, no ICE!
    '13 Model S 85, Multi-Coat Red
    '12 LEAF SL, Cayenne Red

I have the same issue. Pressing the traffic button on and off doesn't usually work for me. I have more success when I toggle between satellite and map view. But still seems inconsistent. This makes the traffic view pretty marginal... Hope it gets addressed in next update.

4.5 works better than 4.4 for me, however, zoom in or out definitly helps to refresh the information.

Traffic used to work well for me, but hasn't been working correctly in the last few days. For example, I was stuck in stop and go traffic on the I-290 outside of Chicago because of an accident and the NAV traffic showed totally green. Nothing I tried worked to refresh/update the traffic info. It's been like that now for maybe three days. Not sure if this is a 4.5 issue or a google issue or what.

I have called ownership about this and they suggested dragging your current location off the screen and back again. It didn't work.
    They said one way for sure was rebooting the computer! I definitely need to know when I get into my car if I'm looking at stale data or not.
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum.
    My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.
    VIN 2415 - Blue 85kWh Model S / pano | VIN 48714 - Red 85kWh Model S / pano / tech

Quote Originally Posted by toto_48313 View Post
    4.5 works better than 4.4 for me, however, zoom in or out definitly helps to refresh the information.
    I've noticed with 4.5 that the traffic seems to be refreshing itself almost constantly by itself.
    Delivered 03/09/2013

85kWh | Blue Metallic | Tan Leather | Obeche Wood Gloss | 19" Wheels | Pano Roof | Tech Pkg | Sound Studio | Air Suspension | Parcel Shelf | Twin Chargers

The opinions expressed here are to be taken as my own and do not represent those of anyone else, including my employer. Please do not copy anything I post outside of the TMC Forum without express permission.

Pistons are unnecessary. Todd Burch's Avatar
    I have 4.5 (the .44 flavor) and my traffic automatically refreshes every two minutes or so. I don't need to do anything for this behavior. (I have the "satellite" view showing).
    P85 VIN55228. Black and tan w/ Carbon Fiber decor, spoiler, coils, Pano, Reus audio (To be installed), 19s (for now), tech, parking sensors, premium lighting.
    (Original Model S, now in hEaVen: VIN 1653, S85, Dolphin Gray)

Thread Information