Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshing Traffic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before 4.5 I could refresh the traffic indicators in Google Maps by tapping on another app and then tapping back on the Nav app -- which would cause the entire map, including traffic, to refresh. Now the map and traffic data seem to be cached, which makes them display very quickly, but I can't find any way to cause the traffic indicators to refresh. Since I commute about an hour each way every day it's generally true that the traffic patterns change during my commute, but I can't figure out to get the traffic to update. This unfortunately makes the traffic feature pretty much useless to me. Any suggestions?

Before 4.5 I could refresh the traffic indicators in Google Maps by tapping on another app and then tapping back on the Nav app -- which would cause the entire map, including traffic, to refresh. Now the map and traffic data seem to be cached, which makes them display very quickly, but I can't find any way to cause the traffic indicators to refresh. Since I commute about an hour each way every day it's generally true that the traffic patterns change during my commute, but I can't figure out to get the traffic to update. This unfortunately makes the traffic feature pretty much useless to me. Any suggestions?

I'm in your boat commute-wise.

The *only* real answer for true traffic navigation and optimization (on the fly) is WAZE!

Free GPS Navigation with Turn by Turn - Waze

It's an app for iPhone, iPad, and Android smartphones too. (EDIT: it's free) It's crowd sourced traffic updates, showing real speeds on the road, police, accidents, stalls, etc., and you can have it check your route multiple times for updated best paths home or to work. It often times will find a better route on its own while you're driving. But I find if you ask it right before key forks in route options it will do even better, usually giving you 3 updated (to the second) routes.

Good news too in that Google just bought the company this week, so we can only hope that this kind of traffic aware navigation comes to the Google system... and our internal nav on the car.

I actually use more on my iPad for bigger screen display (there's a tailored version for the iPad)... though now in my Model S, I haven't quite figured out how to get my iPad sit/stand in a good display place, without it sliding around, etc.

Last edited:
I have the same issue. Pressing the traffic button on and off doesn't usually work for me. I have more success when I toggle between satellite and map view. But still seems inconsistent. This makes the traffic view pretty marginal... Hope it gets addressed in next update.

Traffic used to work well for me, but hasn't been working correctly in the last few days. For example, I was stuck in stop and go traffic on the I-290 outside of Chicago because of an accident and the NAV traffic showed totally green. Nothing I tried worked to refresh/update the traffic info. It's been like that now for maybe three days. Not sure if this is a 4.5 issue or a google issue or what.

I have called ownership about this and they suggested dragging your current location off the screen and back again. It didn't work.
They said one way for sure was rebooting the computer! I definitely need to know when I get into my car if I'm looking at stale data or not.

I've got 4.5 (-48), and have a lot of trouble forcing the traffic data to reload. In the new version, hiding and re-showing traffic data no longer refreshes the data. I have to leave it off for 2-5 minutes before the data will refresh. I'm in map not, not satellite mode. I haven't tried zooming yet, but it's a good one to try :)

Hey Tesla: would be nice if press-hold the traffic button would force a reload. Also would be nice if it said somewhere when it was last refreshed/fetched.

Most of the time, I don't find traffic refreshing at all. In fact, it usually puts me in a bad mood.

I can remember one exception: I was lower on SOC than I should have been and I was on the way to pick up a friend at the airport. I got stuck in traffic and was forced to go < 10mph for a few miles. It helped me ensure the range would last both directions of the trip. An odd wry grin developed and I'm sure those around me thought I had snapped.

How about this problem that has been frustrating me. In the bay area I like to stay zoomed out so I can see my whole route and alternative routes and choose the path of least resistance.

However there is a point where if you zoom out past it, pretty much everything is just green. It seems that the UI starts smashing all the segments together and must place a preference on Green segments over all others. This is absolutely the worst behavior, the worst case speed should get the highest priority when I zoom out, a RED zone should never combined with GREEN and just become GREEN.

I can't trust what the traffic is showing me on the dash board and must use my cell phone (iPhone google maps app) and it always gets it right even on a smaller screen.

On 4.5, my traffic usually refreshes every few minutes automatically. But occasionally will get stuck - and doing a zoom in or zoom out (and staying at that setting until the map refreshes) seems to force the traffic to refresh.

Now, if they can only get the traffic to integrate with the navigation software - and warn about upcoming problems...

How about this problem that has been frustrating me. In the bay area I like to stay zoomed out so I can see my whole route and alternative routes and choose the path of least resistance.

However there is a point where if you zoom out past it, pretty much everything is just green. It seems that the UI starts smashing all the segments together and must place a preference on Green segments over all others. This is absolutely the worst behavior, the worst case speed should get the highest priority when I zoom out, a RED zone should never combined with GREEN and just become GREEN.

I can't trust what the traffic is showing me on the dash board and must use my cell phone (iPhone google maps app) and it always gets it right even on a smaller screen.

Yeah this is the behavior I'm seeing - all green if zoomed out far enough. I resolved this by zooming out to the maximum that still includes traffic detail, then going to full screen on the nav. It's just big enough it shows my entire route. Not ideal.

Given other descriptions I have a feeling this is what some other people are encountering - they're zoomed out and everything is just green at that level.

Yesterday, I found if I replaced the NAV display with the browser - and then went back to NAV, the entire NAV window was repainted, including refreshing of the traffic data. At least that's what happened once yesterday - will try this the next time the traffic gets "stuck".

Yeah this is the behavior I'm seeing - all green if zoomed out far enough. I resolved this by zooming out to the maximum that still includes traffic detail, then going to full screen on the nav. It's just big enough it shows my entire route. Not ideal.

Given other descriptions I have a feeling this is what some other people are encountering - they're zoomed out and everything is just green at that level.

After having this problem since i got the car, it seems lately to be behaving slightly differently. Pure speculation but perhaps something is changing on the back-end that is feeding the maps application the road data, because my car software didn't upgrade. I wonder if Tesla is reprocessing Google's data before making it available to the car application?