Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iOS 7, and questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

anticitizen13.7

Not posting at TMC after 9/17/2018
Dec 22, 2012
United States
The iPhone I bought has iOS 6 installed. I saw on the news that Apple demonstrated an iOS 7 Beta, and it is supposed to be released to customers in the Fall.

Given that iOS 7 looks radically different than iOS 6, and seems to be completely re-worked, I don't know if I want to upgrade right away.

My question relates to Security Updates. How long does Apple generally support older versions of iOS with security patches?

I chose iPhone over Android because Android phone makers generally tend to have a spotty record of issuing software patches to correct Security holes.

If I wait a few months to see how iOS 7 shakes out upon release, I hope iOS 6 users are not left in the dark:eek:

As a developer, I tend to target the latest OS, especially on iOS since most users upgrade quickly. Apple is fairly good with not COMPLETELY locking out older devices and OSes, but you can be sure you won't be getting any of the new goodies going forward -- either from Apple wrt new features or apps, since the developers will likely target the latest OS with their new releases.

I'm using the beta right now, and it definitely takes some getting used to. They stole some cues from other mobile OSes (WebOS for one), but the features are nice. Perhaps if they wouldn't have gone so radical on the UI...

Apple doesn't typically support older releases with 'maitenance updates' for very long if at all - their goal is to push out the newest version when it is ready to everyone, creating a more unifed ecosystem.

That said, "getting iOS 7" will mean very different things to owners of different devices. While they might be able to move most of their userbase to the newest version rather quickly, iOS has it's own sort of 'fragmentation,' see the chart here:

http://gizmodo.com/all-the-new-ios-features-your-old-iphone-wont-get-512359950

Which model of iPhone do you have? If it's an iPhone 5, it's the latest and greatest until whatever Apple introduces before Christmas (likely an iPhone 5S).

As for the bolded question, well, Apple is generally pretty good at continuing to release versions of iOS for older hardware for a few years before they dead-end it (no longer release iOS versions for that hardware). Apple does NOT seem to back port security fixes to devices that have been dead-ended. The only choice you have at that point is to stop using that hardware and trade up or live with it.

If you just bought an iPhone 5, my wild guess is that you should probably be ok w/receiving the latest iOS versions (security updates and all) for the next 2 years. If you bought the oldest model currently selling, the 4, I'd watch out.

FWIW, the iPhone 3GS came out in June 2009 (Apple - Press Info - Apple Announces the New iPhone 3GS—The Fastest, Most Powerful iPhone Yet) and finally was discontinued in September 2012 (Apple confirms discontinuation of iPhone 3GS). Yet, the 3GS still got iOS 6.1.3 and thus has every security fix they've released so far. But, the 3GS won't receive iOS 7. And, it's unclear how many more iOS 6.x.x releases there will be and whether the 3GS will get them.

However, the consistency in which they offer support and for how long is a hell of a lot better than if you pick a random Android (esp. if it the OEM has put on their custom shells or made lots of modifications and if it's old hardware that's behind to begin with) or a Windows Phone device. The duration of support from a security update and support duration POV does SUCK compared to say desktop Windows OSes (e.g. Windows XP).

These should help.
List of iOS devices - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of iOS devices - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - look at highest supported operating system
iOS version history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apple security updates - to give you a flavor
About the security content of iOS 6.1.3
About the security content of iOS 6.1 Software Update

(I've owned an iPhone since the iPhone 3G (was the latest model when I bought it). I then upgraded to a 4 and then to a 5.)

Last edited:
Apple doesn't typically support older releases with 'maitenance updates' for very long if at all - their goal is to push out the newest version when it is ready to everyone, creating a more unifed ecosystem.

That said, "getting iOS 7" will mean very different things to owners of different devices.

Thanks. This all makes sense to me now. I was used to Microsoft Windows where MSFT would have a support roadmap for patches and EOL dates for prior OS releases.

I think I will update to iOS 7 if for no other reason than security updates.

Moving to an iPhone has involved a bit of a learning curve for me. I am used to iOS 6 now and it's going to feel odd to learn a new system so soon after.

Which model of iPhone do you have? If it's an iPhone 5, it's the latest and greatest until whatever Apple introduces before Christmas (likely an iPhone 5S).

As for the bolded question, well, Apple is generally pretty good at continuing to release versions of iOS for older hardware for a few years before they dead-end it (no longer release iOS versions for that hardware). Apple does NOT seem to back port security fixes to devices that have been dead-ended. The only choice you have at that point is to stop using that hardware and trade up or live with it.

However, the consistency in which they offer support and for how long is a hell of a lot better than if you pick a random Android

I have an iPhone 5, so hopefully I'm good for a couple years. Update consistency is why I didn't go with Droid. Too many stories of phones that were abandoned and never updated by handset makers.

Thanks to all for explaining this to me!

^^^
No problem. Yeah, I don't think Apple publishes any sort of official software support lifecycle w/EOL dates for iOS devices.

For me, since I always buy subsidized phones (until T-Mobile started mucking around w/some plans I don't care about) I always upgrade when my contract is up (every 2 years, used to be a few months shorter). There's no point in waiting as my carrier (AT&T) and most others don't give you a break on your bill once your contract is over.

And, Apple doesn't generally lower prices on phones until they are about to come out w/the next gen. The only notable exception was what they did w/the 1st gen iPhone, pissing off a lot of early adopters.

If you stick w/the latest model and upgrade iPhones every 2 years, you should continue to receive all the latest iOS versions, even though you won't get all the features supported by newer hardware (iOS 6: Which software features does my iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch support?, for example).

The new UI is different - still haven't quite accepted it.

I downloaded it last night, and I don't like it. And the more I read of the Fashionistas (Gruber, et. al.) fawning all over it, the more I think of shouting "The Emperor has no clothes!".

I get the simplicity angle, but I think they went too far too fast. I LIKE the shiny look of text bubbles, and drop shadows, and buttons that depress when you touch them and return when you release. Guess I'm old fashioned. The new look reminds me of X Windows back in the awm days. Simple, yes. Ugly too.

From Electric Kool-Aid iOS 7 Test | TechCrunch.
tumblr_mo7b9ml6271svn1xeo1_1280.jpg

For those who don't get it, the guy on the right is Apple - Press Info - Apple Leadership - Jonathan Ive. I'd imagine that most know that Jobs used to drop acid in his earlier days.

Prior to iOS 7 coming out, there were rumors of "Deforestation" as Scott Forstall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (apparently ousted) supposedly liked skeuomorphism while Jony Ive supposedly didn't.

iOS 7 Improvement? Text (SMS) Ringtone now comes through on bluetooth!!!

I have an iPhone 5 and updated to iOS 7 beta. I'm VERY happy to report that when I receive a text message the ringtone now comes through the audio system on my Model S! I previously had to set the phone face up in the center console or keep it in my pocket to feel the vibration. Because the phone was linked to the Tesla through bluetooth, when I received a text there was no sound at all, only the display lighting up for a few seconds. I'm on Tesla Firmware 4.4. Any other developers (or hackers) notice this? It actually was a Tesla problem because the text ringtone worked through the audio system on my Audi A6 with iOS 6. Anyway, I'm a physician and it's VERY important for me to know when I receive a text.

I get the simplicity angle, but I think they went too far too fast. I LIKE the shiny look of text bubbles, and drop shadows, and buttons that depress when you touch them and return when you release. Guess I'm old fashioned. The new look reminds me of X Windows back in the awm days. Simple, yes. Ugly too.

I looked at some of the demo videos and everything is just too bright. I hope they tone it down a notch or two because it does feel a bit "trippy" to me.