Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delaware supercharger. 90kW->120kW?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

andrewket

Dec 20, 2012
I'm going to be using the Delaware supercharger this weekend for the first time. Does anyone know, perhaps someone who has used the SC in the past few days, if the Delaware SC has been upgraded to 120kW?

Thanks.

I'm going to be using the Delaware supercharger this weekend for the first time. Does anyone know, perhaps someone who has used the SC in the past few days, if the Delaware SC has been upgraded to 120kW?

I haven't used the DE Supercharger in a while, but I did take a pic of the UL label on it a few months back and it matched the one someone posted from one of the CA Superchargers which had a model SC-120 (or something like that). I think that suggests that the hardware is already in place and there may be a software change needed.

Bon Voyage! Look forward to hearing about your experience.

Andrew

Was there this past Saturday and its still at 90KW. Elon had said about 3 months for the update to 120KW. I'm also positive it will require a software update to the car since it is responsible for controlling the charging. Also remember that this power upgrade also includes a later "taper off" to also increase the speed of charging.

I expect to see it in the fall sometime. I believe they are still doing testing.

Aaron

Thanks.

Andrew

Was there this past Saturday and its still at 90KW. Elon had said about 3 months for the update to 120KW. I'm also positive it will require a software update to the car since it is responsible for controlling the charging. Also remember that this power upgrade also includes a later "taper off" to also increase the speed of charging.

I expect to see it in the fall sometime. I believe they are still doing testing.

Aaron

<nod> to both points. I wasn't sure if 4.5 enabled 120kW in conjunction with software updates to the SCs. 90kW will be fast enough for this trip.

<nod> to both points. I wasn't sure if 4.5 enabled 120kW in conjunction with software updates to the SCs. 90kW will be fast enough for this trip.

I used both sets of east coast Superchargers (the Delaware ones and the Milford Northbound and Southbound ones) this past weekend and was impressed with the speed. How (other than looking for possibly-obscure labels) can one tell if it's 90 or 120--how high do the amps/volts go on the 90 versus 120, in the lower/first half of battery charging?

kendallpb

Was that you charging last Wednesday morning in DE? I arrived somewhere around 11:30am or so and there was a MD Model S charging - and I gave a thumbs up! Was gone before I was ready to go....

Was on my Way to Richmond, VA for my nieces graduation. I hit DE again on my way back to NY on Saturday evening about 7:45pm (no one else was there charging)....

Aaron

I used both sets of east coast Superchargers (the Delaware ones and the Milford Northbound and Southbound ones) this past weekend and was impressed with the speed. How (other than looking for possibly-obscure labels) can one tell if it's 90 or 120--how high do the amps/volts go on the 90 versus 120, in the lower/first half of battery charging?

Was that you charging last Wednesday morning in DE? I arrived somewhere around 11:30am or so and there was a MD Model S charging - and I gave a thumbs up! Was gone before I was ready to go....

Was on my Way to Richmond, VA for my nieces graduation. I hit DE again on my way back to NY on Saturday evening about 7:45pm (no one else was there charging)....

Hi, Aaron--I was in Delaware Thursday, later in the day than that...must've been someone else.

It is easy to tell - 90 kW maxes out at 225 A and 120 kW at 300 A.
So if you are getting charge current over 225 A then it is a 120 kW station. 120 kW is in beta testing and so far I have seen only one report quoting 280 A charge current.