Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Westar Energy exec likes the MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With a few more experiences like this, hopefully, we'll get more charging stations around the Wichita area. plugshare.com shows that Wichita is pretty much a charging wasteland. Only six within the city limits right now. Westar has brought electric cars (usually a Volt) to public events around town, so they're not totally in the dark about electrification of transportation. Westar, which is the electricity provider in the Wichita area, is nice enough to offer public charging at their offices. They have 2 offices within Wichita, and within 40 miles of Wichita, they have another 3 sites with free public charging. It is pretty cool that the electric utility provides free charging for the public.

I'm really starting to pay attention to availability of charging infrastructure now that I have a Leaf on order. It's not a critical issue to have charging around town since for my daily driving, even with the limited range on a Leaf, I should be fine. It would be great to have some additional chargers available for the odd days that I come close to the range on the Leaf. The only normal driving I do that would be at the outer range of the Leaf is a trip to my brother's place or my parents' place. Neither of these towns have existing charging, or charging options available on the road between my house and theirs. That means I'll probably upgrade the Leaf's included EVSE to 240V and get 240V outlets installed in each of their garages for a top off while I visit. Once an prices come down on EVs with about 150 mile range, I can make both those trips without needing to drive 55 mph (or slower) to make the round trip. :)