Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AZ APS Special EV Rate Plan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Found this on another site (Tesla Owners) but wanted to let people know that if you are with APS, you can apply for a special EV Owner pilot program where they have a super off peak rate of 2.2 cent per kWh from 11pm to 5am. I sent in my information yesterday and got a quick response and am just waiting for the analysis.

If interested, send an e-mail to Christopher below and you just need to reference your account# from your electric bill and also provide a copy of the registration for your car in order to qualify for the rate. The given rates also apply for the entire household.

Christopher Malotte
Sr. Program Coordinator, Asset Deployment & Pilot Implementation
400 North 5th Street, Phoenix, AZ 85004-3902,
M.S. 9998 Tel 602 250 3593
[email protected]

The overview/process is as follows: The electric vehicle rate has a peak rate (noon - 7pm M-F), off-peak rate (7pm - 11pm and 5am - noon M-F and all day Sat, Sun, and Holidays), and super off peak rate (11pm - 5am M-F). Once APS receives the registration they will run a transformer analysis to see if your local transformer is properly sized, they will run a rate comparison between ET-EV and your current rate, and they will place you on the EV rate if you choose to go with the program. The details of the rate tariff can be found here: https://www.aps.com/library/rates/ET-EV.pdfhttps://www.aps.com/library/rates/ET-EV.pdf.

Just an additional note that this pilot program currently runs through 2014.

Last edited:
I saw a brochure on this program while waiting at Tesla Service in Scottsdale. Unfortunately, I'm in Tucson and we have TEP and they currently don't offer such a program. I am on a grandfathered TOU off-peak rate of 6.3¢/kWh summer and 4.3¢/hWh winter (R-70F), but the APS EV rate sounds great. It looks like from the rate in the PDF file that it's for both summer and winter.

We are on the regular peak/off peak program with APS currently but this does seem like a much better plan as long as the analysis comes back showing it would be an advantage to switch (can't see how it wouldn't be...)

Your rate with TEP isn't too bad... I think as EV's become more popular, they will create special programs.

I saw a brochure on this program while waiting at Tesla Service in Scottsdale. Unfortunately, I'm in Tucson and we have TEP and they currently don't offer such a program. I am on a grandfathered TOU off-peak rate of 6.3¢/kWh summer and 4.3¢/hWh winter (R-70F), but the APS EV rate sounds great. It looks like from the rate in the PDF file that it's for both summer and winter.

I believe this info is posted in the AZ thread...

I need to see if APS can do a compare for us -- just to see what our past bills would look like on this (excluding having the EV). We're currently on a the now-frozen 9am-9pm TOU APS (https://www.aps.com/library/rates/et-1.pdf). All the newer TOU plans (including this EV one) have significantly higher peak rates, although for a shorter period (7 hours instead of 12).

I ran a quick compare of the 2 plans to see what 500kWh would cost off-peak with our current plan, vs the EV plan at super off-peak. The super off-peak is ~$15 less expensive. FWIW, 500kWh is my estimate of what the Tesla will use based on my typical monthly milage, including being conservative for vampire drain and charging inefficiency...

What I need to know is would our on-peak go up by more than $15... If so, I should stick with our current plan!

APS is supposed to contact me with the results of their analysis based on our existing plan. Will let you know what they come back with. Basically there are supposed to provide the analysis of your cost with the new plan vs. your current plan and then let you decide if you want to switch to the EV plan. Tough part is that it may be better to have the analysis done after a month of using the car so we know what it will be given that we have only had ours since Sat.

I believe this info is posted in the AZ thread...

I need to see if APS can do a compare for us -- just to see what our past bills would look like on this (excluding having the EV). We're currently on a the now-frozen 9am-9pm TOU APS (https://www.aps.com/library/rates/et-1.pdf). All the newer TOU plans (including this EV one) have significantly higher peak rates, although for a shorter period (7 hours instead of 12).

I ran a quick compare of the 2 plans to see what 500kWh would cost off-peak with our current plan, vs the EV plan at super off-peak. The super off-peak is ~$15 less expensive. FWIW, 500kWh is my estimate of what the Tesla will use based on my typical monthly milage, including being conservative for vampire drain and charging inefficiency...

What I need to know is would our on-peak go up by more than $15... If so, I should stick with our current plan!

Some things to consider:

-If currently on the 9-9 plan-and change to EV plan, cannot go back to 9-9. That's important since the EV plan expires at end of 2014. No guarantee it will be renewed.
-Super rate does not apply Sat and Sun nites.
- Importantly, the peak rate on 9-9 plan is 12 hours, under EV plan just 7 hours. So its easier to shift routine usage items--dishwasher, dryer, oven, etc to off peak times.
We opted to change to the EV rate in March, shortly after delivery, and now have 3 months experience.. .Our electricity cost has increased approximately $30/month , and we average 1000 mi/month.

Thanks for the info Ron... Your points are the same as our thinking.

My thought is that unless the APS rate compare based on our previous usage shows our current usage close to flat, that we'll just stay with the 9-9 plan. I'm curious as to what it will show -- my wife works from a home office, so there's only so much peak reduction we can do. And the frozen 9-9 plan we're on has a significantly lower charge for peak than all of APS' current plans...

So we received a call from APS... *The numbers below are based on our current usage and estimating 400kWh per month for the car using the Super Off Peak window.

APS EV Program
$252 Savings (Estimated Annual based on car using 400kWh per month vs. current usage)
$.045 kWh Super Off Peak (11pm-5am) and savings is based on car charging during that period.
*Good through 2014 but if program is not approved by ACC then we would no longer be able to stay on current 9-9 Time of Use (TOU) plan and move to new TOU plan.

*New TOU Plan 7pm-Noon ($.22 on peak / $06.5 off peak kWh) The non-Super Off Peak prices are basically the same for the EV plan.

Existing TOU plan 9-9 (Averages to ~$.19 kWh currently)

We are still debating but may just stick with the current 9-9 plan.

I had a call from APS on a Friday. Numbers they gave over the phone were similar to yours. I asked if they could email me the details, and never said yes. Without being able to see the estimate in writing, no way will I switch.

I did get her to run the EV plan without the extra 400kWh during Super Off Peak. That baseline was $38 more than the 9-9 plan over 12 months.

But at 4.5 cents per kWh super off peak vs our current ~5.8 cents off peak, the extra 400kWh should only cost ~$5.2 per month "extra". So ~$63 per year, less the $38 extra for our base usage = $25 per year more / $2 per month to keep the grandfathered 9-9 plan. APS' math doesn't jell -- which is why I want to see this in writing...

Thanks for the heads up on this program. We lost the 9-9 rate program when we moved a few years ago, so we've been on the 12-7. Given that we'd simply go back to the standard 12-7 rates (i.e., the 11pm-5am M-F reduced rate just goes away) if this pilot program isn't approved going forward, it's a no brainer that we take advantage of the EV rate program at this time. APS will be completing the programming by tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up on this program. We lost the 9-9 rate program when we moved a few years ago, so we've been on the 12-7. Given that we'd simply go back to the standard 12-7 rates (i.e., the 11pm-5am M-F reduced rate just goes away) if this pilot program isn't approved going forward, it's a no brainer that we take advantage of the EV rate program at this time. APS will be completing the programming by tomorrow.

Agree that this makes sense if you do not have the grandfathered 9-9 plan...

At least a couple of us that were grandfathered decided the 9-9 plan was better, or at least close enough to hedge that the EV plan would not be renewed... In my case, APS was less than forthcoming with the savings calc -- they verbally told me we'd save a few hundred dollars per year, but that didn't gel with my estimate based on the published rate schedules of both the 9-9 and EV plan. I was able to get them to run the EV plan without an assumption for EV charging and then compare that our existing plan -- basically our baseline usage from before the car, but with the new rate plan. That would have cost us ~$30 more per month -- which means that adding in all EV charging during super off peak would still cost ~$10/month more on the EV rate. So far from saving a few hundred dollars!

The 9-9 plan is working well for us -- I've done all but perhaps 1-2 hours of charging during off-peak, and our bills have all been between $30 and $45 higher than the same month last year. I had estimated $40-50, so pretty happy with the results...