Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DME as Alternative Diesel Fuel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am all for it! Here in Sweden I know they've been experimenting with DME for a while now....most of the fuel originates from the paper industry...they use the restproduct from producing paper to make DME. One of the most important things is that DME has very good cold temperature properties...so even if you have arctic climate it shouldn't be hard at all to start the vehicle with 100% DME.

I'm also very interested in DME. Oberon Fuels is selling complete plants as packages to convert natural gas and/or biogas to DME which could be set up for local fueling. I haven't seen any cost estimates for bioDME, but my understanding is that DME from natural gas is less expensive than diesel and because of the lower anti-pollution system requirements the overall cost for transportation should be significantly less.

I'm not sure what all this says about the electric vehicle model of transportation. Currently it's being looked at for heavy trucks, but I don't really see any reason it wouldn't work in a passenger car if there were a significant DME fueling infrastructure. It's really the same problem Tesla is facing with its Supercharger/Swapping stations.

If carbon sequestration were real, bioDME could actually have a negative carbon footprint which would be pretty impressive.

I think DME could potentially leapfrog natural gas for Class 8 trucks. The biggest headache the Class 8 diesel drivers have currently is exhaust aftertreatment. DME runs so clean, it requires NO aftertreatment. No DPF, no SCR. It also retains the sparkless diesel combustion process, unlike natural gas trucks, which require spark-ignited engines. Storage and fueling are much easier as well. Storage pressure is only 75 psi, compared to 3600 psi for CNG and LNG, which needs to be stored at -260º F. It can be produced from a variety of methane feedstocks, including natural gas, and also municipal sources (trash & sewage). Very promising. The day may come for electric long-haul Class 8 trucks, but DME seems like a very promising "bridge" fuel for heavy trucks.