Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor Trend reviews DT 1.5!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2009 Tesla Roadster One Speed - First Drive - Motor Trend

The car we drive today has the final single-speed transmission. Earlier press testers used a two-speed unit, often locked in second because it had durability issues. The single-speed finally realizes the dream of the electric car: absolutely progressive, smooth, transparent acceleration.

And boy does it deliver. The powertrain is now so intuitive that I seldom thought about it. Repeat for emphasis: I've driven a car with performance better than a Corvette Z51, and I hardly thought about the propulsion. The performance is an extension of your brain: the amount you've squeezed your foot is directly related to the proportion of its surge the motor delivers. No need to make sure you're on boost or on the cam, or in the correct gear. Nothing to think about. All to enjoy.

And it's not just accurate and progressive, it's instant: as fast as you can stretch your foot, this thing delivers. So don't floor it until there's clear air in front of you. Lots of clear air.
112_0810_04z+2009_tesla_roadster+front_three_quarter_view.jpg

Nice review. 180 miles out and about!
I am still waiting to see what 1.5 feels like in person.
There were a few minor errors... Like saying top speed (125MPH) was unaffected by the drivetrain change (it did drop a bit from original plans).
Also they said 500 orders, but we hear it is 1200+
These kinds of articles are likely to keep the demand up.

Also they said 500 orders, but we hear it is 1200+

I am not sure this is an error. The article is focused on the 2009 Model. I think Tesla have said that they plan to only take 600 orders for 2009 and then start taking orders for 2010. Since they are not yet taking orders for 2010, 500 is probably accurate.

I think the 1200+ numbers we have heard are either inaccurate wishful thinking, or do not take into account the numbers of cancellations as well.

I liked this.
But do you miss the rumble of a V-8, the wail of a V-12? Yes, I guess you might. But on the other hand, you have no need of such sonic cues to time your gear changes.

I do believe the 1200# is right. 600 sold out first year plus down payments on second year combined with Europe sales.

We have guys in here with cars in the mid 500's

Last edited: