Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AM Radio Needs Filter...?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bakoplan

Supporting Member
May 20, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I listen to several local AM radio sports talk stations here in LA, but with the new S it's almost impossible as the AM radio is picking up so much interference from the internal electric interface of the car. While it can be entertaining for a short bit to hear the frequency sound increase as the car picks up speed (like a surrogate engine), it gets tiresome very quickly, and all too often I cannot hear the sportscaster on the radio.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so, any suggested fixes? My only thought is an AM radio filter, but understandably hesitant to take the car into a Best Buy and ask some installer to monkey with the electronics of the car...

I listen to several local AM radio sports talk stations here in LA, but with the new S it's almost impossible as the AM radio is picking up so much interference from the internal electric interface of the car. While it can be entertaining for a short bit to hear the frequency sound increase as the car picks up speed (like a surrogate engine), it gets tiresome very quickly, and all too often I cannot hear the sportscaster on the radio.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so, any suggested fixes? My only thought is an AM radio filter, but understandably hesitant to take the car into a Best Buy and ask some installer to monkey with the electronics of the car...

I haven't experienced this problem.

You can probably listen to the same station streaming over the internet, if you find interference. Have you checked TuneIn/Slacker?

Have had the same problem. I drive into NYC and once you are in the canyons, AM is out. Tunein/Slacker also don't quite work smoothly in the city. Talked to the SC and they acknowledged the problem, but not working on a solution.