Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Best mattresses for Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I measured the back of my Model S, and it is around 38.5" x 72-75" (depending on where you measure, and how far forward the front seats are). This is about the size of a twin bed. So, I was wondering: has anyone tried to put a mattress (air mattress or otherwise) in the Model S? How does it work and feel? What are the best products? I am thinking that an air mattress with a 12V DC pump would work best.

When I laid down in the back with the back seats down, it felt like it could be doable. However, if one's head is placed in the front, filling for the footwell right before the front seats is absolutely necessary.

I read some posts about people putting full size mattresses in the Model S, but I think they were referring to deflated mattresses, not inflated/usable mattresses in the car itself. I do not see a way to fit a full size mattress in the car to be able to sleep on it.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
I slept in mine at a campground the other night. I can report that 1" thick egg-carton foam is NOT thick enough to keep you from noticing the rise where the seats fold over. Also, the top of the folded-over seats curve forward/down, so your pillow constantly threatens to fall (hence the need for "filling"). It never did, though.

It was nice to use the phone to vent and close the sunroof. I may try to find some thick heavy foam and cut it to the size of the cargo area, to make it the same height as the seats.

I think a regular mattress might be too thick, and put you too close to the hatch for comfort. But I am sure there are some foam or air mattresses that will work well.

• Informative
Amazon.com: Coleman Packable SUV Quickbed: Sports Outdoors

Fits perfectly in the Model S with seats folded down

Have you actually tried this? It says 70" by 41". But I measured the narrowest part as 38.5" (for those who have child seats, I measured from the wall where one side hook attaches to the other side hook, inclusive of the hooks). Maybe this makes it a nice, snug fit when fully inflated in-place, but it might be difficult to insert or remove. And for those of us who are longer than 70", our heads (or feet) will be hanging off the edge...

• Informative
I slept in mine at a campground the other night. I can report that 1" thick egg-carton foam is NOT thick enough to keep you from noticing the rise where the seats fold over. Also, the top of the folded-over seats curve forward/down, so your pillow constantly threatens to fall (hence the need for "filling"). It never did, though.

Your sleeping the wrong way. Sleep with your head pointed to the rear. Not only does this eliminate the seat rise problem but the parcel shelf blocks out the light allowing for a good night's sleep. It was fine for me with no mattress.

Love the inflatable idea, since it stores nicely.

From time to time, Home Depot gets special buys on twin sized foam pads for $14.97. The foam is about 4" thick. We have two up above in the garage now. I'll get one down and see if it fits.... (EDIT) tomorrow evening... there's too much stuff to maneuver to get them down right now.

Last edited:
  • Informative
I have camped several time in the S and use a Yoga mat. It fits one person just fine. As for the step between the seats and trunk I made a tapered bolster out of "etha" foam. It is a dense foam that has very little compression. The only thing I wish the S had is an always on setting for the climate control system "camping mode". It was below freezing at my campsite. I had the car plugged in so battery life was not an issue.

• Helpful
Reactions: chjch and mblakele