Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My new wheels are on! Opinions?

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but I'm interested in finding (1) "practically priced" (2) 19" wheels with the (3) great dry/wet/snow tires that are also (5) LRR and (4) quiet. [Numbers are priorities.]

If anybody else has been scouting something similar, I'd be interested in hearing more.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Nice look. Reminds me of a Porsche Panamera (and I mean that in a good way).

Nice. I wouldn't change them.

I normally hate car mods, and I love my turbine wheels, as in my opinion, they are part of the signature Tesla Model S look. Having said that, I think your car looks pretty damn sharp, and I wouldn't powdercoat the wheels or change them at all...As someone else said, it looks like a Panamera, in a good way! And I sure do love that grey color

Very nice pictures, love the grey car... and wheel choise is good.

Thanks everyone. The wheels are I ordered are 22", 9" width. 5X120 bolt pattern and 35 offset.

- - - Updated - - -

GOOD NEWS!!!!!

The manager of Ace wheels confirmed a group deal for us. Anyone that wants new ACE wheels (any model) for there Tesla, contact me. If we have a group of 5, he will give us 40% off! If you then send good quality pictures that they can use, he will give another 10% kick back of the price you paid. If people are interested, let me know. I get nothing for this, it's only to help other Tesla owners out.

So that would be $560 retail less 40% to 50% or $336 to $280.... Please add me to the list for a set of rims.
    P8911 ViN4288 85KW Silver Grey Obeche P85 21s Dual/Tech/Sound/Air Delivered 2/6/2013.
    P14936 Model S #2 14694 Red/Black/Black P85+ Dual Charger Solid Roof P+ 7/20 delivery.
    White/Tan S85 18201 ordered 7.26 delivered 9/2/12 (accident damage 12/12). Replacement White/Tan S85 delivered 3/5/14

Roadster Sports 835 & 972 ipdamages's Avatar
    The best wheel look I have yet seen. Don't powder coat. Fantastic!

That said, I'm curious how they will ride and how it does on real world roads. But for looks, simply awesome!

Those wheels look great!

That being said, for a similar look I would spring for a set of P40SCs by HRE, one of the best wheel makers in the world.

More here.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by yobigd20 View Post
    opinions? Sure! seems like a lot of people love it. personally, IMO, I think they look ridiculous, they aren't practical, the ride's much harsher, probably noisier, you'll be having blowouts all over the place, and you'll be spending a fortune on cracked rims and new tires every month. have fun with that. on the other hand, if your rich, as well as you don't mind calling AAA for towing every month, have a blast!!
    I'm sorry, but I hate comments like these. There are so many factors that play into ride and wheel quality your comments are simply gross over simplifications.

Blowouts from switching to 22" wheels, really? Maybe if you buy defective tires from a back alley. Cracked rims? Sure, if you buy garbage wheels from Wal-Mart; however, wheel technology/engineering is at a point where this is hardly a concern (especially with forged wheels). I replace all the wheels on my cars and have owned HRE, BBS, and Brabus wheels. All amazing quality. Add on some high-end tires like the Michelin Super Sport, Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta, or Nitto Invo / NT05 and you have an excellent setup where your aforementioned complaints are never a problem.
    Last edited by logan; 06-14-2013 at 11:42 PM.
    P9935 - 85kWh Performance white/tan fully loaded w/ grey wheels
    G63 AMG, SL65 AMG, CLS550, GT-R, Challenger SRT8

Quote Originally Posted by logan View Post
    I'm sorry, but I hate comments like these. There are so many factors that play into ride and wheel quality your comments are simply gross over simplifications.

Blowouts from switching to 22" wheels, really? Maybe if you buy defective tires from a back alley. Cracked rims? Sure, if you buy garbage wheels from Wal-Mart; however, wheel technology/engineering is at a point where this is hardly a concern (especially with forged wheels). I replace all the wheels on my cars and have owned HRE, BBS, and Brabus wheels. All amazing quality. Add on some high-end tires like the Michelin Super Sport, Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta, or Nitto Invo / NT05 and you have an excellent setup where your aforementioned complaints are never a problem.
    If you say so. I was a little harsh though, I'm sorry. I can be like that some times. I'm not looking to start a fight over this and I agree I am definitely over simplifying it, but you have to admit that there are many people now complaining about blowing out there 21s and cracking their rims. I mean basically then you're calling Tesla's stock 21s defective and their rim's garbage. I wouldn't go as far to say that, but rather just because people are unaware of the downsides to driving around with low profile sport tires. It's a risk you take, if you are not aware of their high risk to damage on 'regular sized' potholes and always on the lookout for them as well as their short tread lifespan, then you're going to suffer the consequences of expensive repairs and replacements which will negate all cost savings from driving an EV in the first place.

I was thinking of starting a thread to track all the blowouts and rims cracked as there have been so many already. I would think this would at least educate people more about those kind of tires and help steer them to a more educated, e.g. practical, decision. Tesla's little warning on their website in small text at the bottom of the page "21-inch wheels are equipped with low-profile performance tires that provide less protection from, and are consequently more likely to suffer damage from, uneven road surfaces, debris, curbs, and other common obstacles. Damage to wheels or tires from these conditions are not covered under the Model S new vehicle limited warranty. 21-inch wheels with low-profile performance tires reduce battery range compared to 19-inch wheels with all season tires. Model S does not come with a spare wheel and tire." isn't doing enough to warn people about the risks and consequences. If people knew how much of a risk the blowouts or cracked rims actually are, they probably wouldn't have got the 21s in the first place and we'd be seeing a lot more 19s on the roads instead. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the 21s really should only be for the super-enthusiasts aware of the risks and the normal every day Joe using the Model S for daily commuting probably should be running on 19s but I just see waaay to many people on the 21s. I can't imagine they are all aware of the risks. I could be wrong though.

Anywho I'm not really trying to /rant , honestly I just feel bad for all the posts I see from people saying 'i just suffered a blowout' or 'i just cracked my 21" rim on a pothole' or the "I just blew out BOTH my driver side tires on a pothole" (yes that was last week I think). I also see a lot of posts "should I get the 19s or 21s?" where clearly they don't know anything about low profile tires. also, I haven't even referenced yet the extremely shorter tread lifespan of 6-12k miles for the 21s, another fact that many buyers are unaware of. I've seen many posts of replacements already just for regular usage and low tread levels. I think I've seen two already about having 2 sets of replacements already by 12k miles. PLUS the posts about 21" curb rashes...I could go on and on. so I'm just trying to spread awareness of these issues to help them with there decisions more as a 'preventive measure' so they don't have costly repairs later. Buying the car is expensive enough, and many of us (including myself), have stretched our budgets to get it already. Having $1-$2k repair and maintenance bills every now and then already on top of what we spent is probably not a desired characteristic of ownership.
    P85. VIN05837. Mileage (04/11/14): 44,500mi , Black | Tan Leather | Perf Seats | Obeche Glossy | 19" std rims | Goodyear | Pano | Tech | Sound Studio | Air Susp | Spoiler | Parcel Shelf | Twin Chargers | HPWC | Fog | Extended Trim | Alcantara | Premium Lighting, Aftermarket: XPEL Ultimate PPF | 3M Crystalline 40% | Madico Charcool 20%

Thread Information