Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should the Gen 3 to be a smaller version of the Model S but otherwise identical?

Should the Gen 3 exterior simply be a smaller version of the Model S?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ipdamages

Roadster Sport 835
Sep 25, 2011
Las Vegas Area
In light of Elon's comments that the Gen 3 is going to be similar to the Model S, only 10% smaller, do you think the Model S exterior is otherwise perfect as is for Gen 3 purposes, or would you prefer that it be more sporty/aggressive, or less sporty/aggressive?

It has to be more than just 10% smaller to reduce weight and get an aerodynamic cross section that's going to be needed to get as much range as possible from a smaller pack. Make it small, slippery, and sporty please, not just a smaller S.

As a frame of reference, the Volt is approximately 18% smaller than the Model S based on footprint. I have a hard time picturing the Gen 3 being any smaller than this as it's already pretty tight on passenger space. The A4 by comparison is only 12% smaller than the Model S, while the 3 series is 14% smaller. I think ultimately the Gen 3 will be in the neighborhood of 10-15% smaller than the Model S or you end up positioned too far down market to be competitive with luxury manufacturers.

If they can fit 3 in the rear seat, I think they've made it too large/wide.

They dont necessarily need to be able to fit three adults in the rear seat, but the ability to put a rear facing child seat in the middle between the two font seats is critical. This is a MAJOR issue with the Volt, and has prevented a lot of sales. The guys over on GM-VOLT.com complain about it all the time.