Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

iOS in the Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Generally an embedded OS is not an option. It is the way it is. I would hate it if the main screen was iOS.

Obviously we don't know all the details, but that wasn't my impression of how it worked. On the model S, I would expect one of the app windows to have the IOS in the car interface. There's no reason they have to host the whole OS, the entire thing could be done with a similar API to airplay streaming, with some UI feedback for touch events going back to the phone.

But it'll probably never happen. I'll be happy if I can just get voice control for Siri and music someday.

My read is this is simply a way to get the iphone to display on a remote screen and handle remote button/touch events. Tesla could implement this by making a new "half screen"

I will be shocked if they don't offer this. They already make a big deal about firmware updates. Imagine if they could market "We've implemented iOS 7 Car for all Tesla Model S cars - even those built before the service was announced!" ?

I'd be happy with plain old simple iPod controls like just about every other car in its class has. It's a pain having to pick up my phone to switch playlists or fast forward/rewind through podcasts.
I'm actually pretty surprised by this. There's USB, so you could access the iPhone directly through that. Since the car is Linux-based, they could set up Zero-conf to enable AirPlay support. While this isn't better than Bluetooth streaming from a usability standpoint, it would have significantly higher audio quality. Hopefully in a future update, I guess.