Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the new Supercharger going to be in NJ ? Any confirms?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where is the new Supercharger going to be in NJ? I heard Molly Pitcher service area, exit 7A, 8 or near Trenton area. I saw on this forum that somebody scoured those areas and didn't find any new construction. I went to the Milford. Ct supercharger last week and saw that a service area 13 miles south ,there was construction and that service area was shut down due to construction, plus I saw a tall crane which is probably used for putting solar panels on the roof of the gas station.

No confirmation but I was told by Tesla Service that they heard Guy Lombardo Service Center on the Tpke. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

Do you mean Vince Lombardi? That would work in both directions, while Molly Pritcher and Joyce Kilmer are one direction only. So that would be sensible. Vince Lombardi is 130 miles from Newark supercharger, and is closer to manhatten than the others too. Overall I'd be pleased with either choice.

Have not seen or heard anything, but very much want to know. In the zone of exit 7 might also work for East/West commutes on I195 with small diversion.

If it lands between exits 7 and 8, I'd lobby to get a Roadster HPC there as well...definitely close enough for me to use time to time.

Exit 14 (on the Turnpike (95)) has Rt 78 crossing it, as well as Rt 1 and Rt 22, as well as the Turnpike extension going to the Holland Tunnel. A very congested area.

Route 80 crosses the Turnpike a bit to the North, maybe 15-20 miles.

On a side note, months back there was speculation of a SC at the southbound Molly Pitcher rest area (around exit 8 I think)...well today I stopped there and saw no signs of any SC construction.

If you look at the Tesla supercharger map it does show a dot right by Staten Island and Northern NJ , like by Elizabeth NJ Exit 14 , 13. I don't think its further south like Trenton. I think they want closer it to Nyc , by I-78, I-80 with I-95.

I drive from exit 4 to exit 16E daily for work. I am the one who periodically scouts out the rest stops in both directions. I have yet to see ANY supercharger installs or markings for installs, and I also don't expect to see any soon either. A lead Tesla Manager told me they were in talks with NJ DOT officials but they will not allow any Tesla supercharger installs because it is 'specific' to Tesla and if NJ is going to approve anything, it must be generic so that ALL EVs can use it. This rules out any NJ Tesla superchargers. Tesla has counter offered to do both Tesla Supercharger + generic Chargepoint stations side by side, but NJ rejected it on the same basis that the Tesla ones cannot be used by other non-Tesla EVs. The last thing he told me was that Tesla scouting out off-highway locations and is likely just going to buy some private property close to an exit somewhere (therefore not at a rest stop), and put the superchargers there. Since it's private property they can do whatever they want.

This update is only 2/3 weeks old so unless something has changed since then it's unlikely we'll see superchargers are a rest stop on the highways.