Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does it fit in the garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am cleaning out one side of my garage to make room for the Model S.
The garage width and length seem fine for where I want it. However there is a support beam in the middle of the garage. I think it might be about where the driver side front door will be opening.
Can someone tell me exactly the distance from the front of the car to the edge of the door where it needs clearance to swing open? Thanks

Can someone tell me exactly the distance from the front of the car to the edge of the door where it needs clearance to swing open? Thanks

Bottom of the door, around 108". Top of the door window around 113".

So if you open the window you'll have a little additional clearance, but would be fairly annoying. (Though you can open the windows with the remote in a bind).

I am planning on doing the tennis ball hanging from the ceiling so I pull forward to the exact same spot each time.
But you are correct, I will put a pad on the support column for the occasional accident.

You won't need the tennis ball, just align your stopping point with the bottom of the rear view camera and you will be perfect every time.

Never having had a rear view camera, I am not sure what that means. Sorry.

No problem. The Model S has a big screen for the rear camera, and the rear-view mirrors tilt down when you are in reverse. You use the mirrors to align the car and then back up until some line/crack/curb/etc. is just visible at the bottom of the screen. Then you will be perfectly parked every time.

Is this car really 196 inches long ? 16 ft 4 inches? I measured that in my garage and I am just shocked at how I am going to have to deal with this on a daily basis. This thing will barely fit.
Am I the only person with this issue?

My house was built in the late 80s. It is a two car garage, but there are two garage doors with a barrier between them.

Width with mirrors extended is listed as 86.2 inches.
My garage door measures at 95 inches wide. So I should be fine there with a massive 8.8 inches to spare.
http://www.teslamotors.com/models/specs

This doesn't look good. I might have to leave it outside and just backup to the garage door near where the panel and my NEMA 14-50 outlet will be, just on the other side of that garage door.
Then just plugin and leave the garage door open about 1 inch for the cable.

Last edited:
No problem. The Model S has a big screen for the rear camera, and the rear-view mirrors tilt down when you are in reverse. You use the mirrors to align the car and then back up until some line/crack/curb/etc. is just visible at the bottom of the screen. Then you will be perfectly parked every time.
Perfect example. I used the tennis ball for my SUV before and now I use the Volt's backup camera with the grid to get the perfect park. Pull in just a little extra. Put in R(everse) and slowly go back until the door to floor crack is on one of the grid lines. I could see where the bottom of the screen would work as well. Definitely will use this technique with my Model X.

I have a question. Will it be you -- and you alone -- parking this car?
I have found out that I can easily navigate my wife's car down our driveway with no trouble whatsoever. The same driveway that forces my better half to fold in the side mirrors and still she has scraped the wall four times (that I know of).
If it were me, I'd clear a larger space.

-- Ardie
Sometimes a harbor pilot sounds perfectly reasonable.

Is this car really 196 inches long ? 16 ft 4 inches? I measured that in my garage and I am just shocked at how I am going to have to deal with this on a daily basis. This thing will barely fit.
Am I the only person with this issue?

My house was built in the late 80s. It is a two car garage, but there are two garage doors with a barrier between them.

My garage door measures at 95 inches wide. So I should be fine there with a massive 8.8 inches to spare.

This doesn't look good. I might have to leave it outside and just backup to the garage door near where the panel and my NEMA 14-50 outlet will be, just on the other side of that garage door.

I have the same issue in my garage. It is a tight squeeze made worse by the fact that I have two motorcycles lined up at the edge of my garage.

Needless to say it is snug. With that said, I have not hit anything after 6 months of ownership.

uploadfromtaptalk1370824547244.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1370824586111.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1370824610687.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1370824633471.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

It's definitely a full size car. It's demensioned about the same as a Mercedes CL-Class and is slightly smaller than a Mercedes S-Class. I've definitely lived places where the garage wasn't deep enough to fit a Tesla. We had one garage that was so tight with our Mercedes and Range Rover that we had to hang foam "swim noodles" between the cars so we wouldn't get door dings getting in and out. If the cars were parked perfectly, there was less than three feet between them.

Similar door width to me. I come very close to the mirrors each time. It's fine so long as you're going in straight. Which I wasn't one day, and now my bumper is scraped :( My fault, now I am careful to straighten up.

I was very concerned about the width of the Model S and my narrow garage doors, but after 5 months with the car I've found it much easier to gauge where the front fenders are in relation to the garage door than I would have thought. Find the same thing with parking - I used to curb my Audi all the time because it was impossible to tell where the front nose ended. Not so with the Model S. There's something about how the hood slopes down in combination with the creases down the edges of the hood that make it easier to know where the edges are. It's surprisingly easy to park.