Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Re-lined trunk with tan carpet for transporting my yellow Lab

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I finished a project I've been intending to do after transporting my yellow Lab a few times and suffering major dog hair contamination of the black carpet that lines the trunk/hatchback. Basically, as my dog's hair is tan, I decided that lining the trunk in tan carpet would do a much better job of hiding most of the hair. I also concluded that good lab hair management also required lining the entire space. As the carpet I chose has a longer nylon pile it tends to attract the hair and keep it from floating around.

To start the project I ordered the US Trunk liner (it's made of semi-rigid plastic) and assembled it. It didn't fit very well so I spent a lot of time trimming it and taping it together with duct tape to make for a better fit. BTW, if your tempted to buy the US Trunk liner, be prepared for some major work getting it to fit. Mine was not very well made.

However, the liner does serves well as a semi-rigid base for the carpet, giving it stiffness on the sides and back and providing a good surface to attach it to using double sided carpet tape.

Today I finished cutting, trimming, and installing the carpet. Here are a few photos of the finished project. The sides in the rear can be folded out providing access to the storage spaces on both sides.

The photos were shot in bright sunlight so the contrast is a bit extreme.

I've also attached a photo of the lab. She's a real sweetheart, named Button. All I have to do now is shoot a few photos of the her in the back.

DSC_3457.JPG

DSC_3458.JPG

DSC_3459.JPG

DSC_3460.JPG

DSC_3462.JPG

Button1.jpg

I just lost my yellow lab. 6 days shy of her 14th birthday. Totally crushing. Enjoy this beautiful pup.

During the warmer months, after years of dealing with hair, I finally caved into a friend's suggestion and had her groomed. Not quite shaven, but pretty darn close. Each time I did this, and for several months after, my house and cars were hair free. It was such a pleasure and she seemed to like it.

Regardless, awesome carpet job. I bet your dog loves it.

Cute dog. Do you lift her in and out of the car? We no longer have our dog, but when we did, the plastic bumper on the old mini-van was really scratched up from his nails jumping in and out. I ended up with a folded over mat that I could drop down over the bumper to let him in and out. (Our dog was a lab - Bouvier mix and much too heavy for me to lift!)

Cute dog. Do you lift her in and out of the car? We no longer have our dog, but when we did, the plastic bumper on the old mini-van was really scratched up from his nails jumping in and out. I ended up with a folded over mat that I could drop down over the bumper to let him in and out. (Our dog was a lab - Bouvier mix and much too heavy for me to lift!)

At home, as I'm backed up against the curb she can jump in. From ground level I have to lift her front paws over the bumper and lift her rear torso in. She'd try to jump from ground level but that's very bad for the rear legs and she's already had surgery on both.

I added today another piece of rolled up carpet that's velcroed to the inside rear of the hatchback. When the dog gets in or out I roll it over the bumper for protection from scratching. It also gives the dog a better grip. Here are a few photos of that feature.

DSC_3474.JPG

DSC_3476.JPG

At home, as I'm backed up against the curb she can jump in. From ground level I have to lift her front paws over the bumper and lift her rear torso in. She'd try to jump from ground level but that's very bad for the rear legs and she's already had surgery on both.

I added today another piece of rolled up carpet that's velcroed to the inside rear of the hatchback. When the dog gets in or out I roll it over the bumper for protection from scratching. It also gives the dog a better grip. Here are a few photos of that feature.
Well done!

You might as well add some soft cushion or the like to the back of the trunk, just in case you accelerate and forgot she is in the back.

Why did you puppy need surgery on her legs?

Also, you worried about heat in the rear of the car? I've heard it's an issue for the rear facing child seats.

Why did you puppy need surgery on her legs?

Also, you worried about heat in the rear of the car? I've heard it's an issue for the rear facing child seats.

She's no longer a puppy, although the photo was taken when she was a pup. She had the surgery when she was about 6 years old and is now in excellent condition.

I don't leave her in the car alone for any length of time. She rides with me on the way to and from doggie day care about twice a week. Loves riding in the car and looking out the window.