Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" tires in the rain--"suction"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my first long trip in moderate rain today and experienced something strange. The car tracked really well, almost too well. When the road curved and I need to turn the car, I had to apply some "breakout" force to get it started. It was like there was some sort of hydrodynamic suction going on with the tires. It became a really uncomfortable feeling at 70-75 mph.

There were no tire track ruts and when I hit some milled pavement the issue went away. This was during a 170 mile drive through two states, and I noticed it when the rain picked up in intensity. Didn't seem to be a hydroplaning issue. Checked tire pressures after they cooled and they were normal. Has anyone experienced this?

Sounds like the start of hydroplaning to me. The "breakout force" basically displaced the water and allowed you to turn. Hydroplaning happens when the wedge of water that builds up in front of the tires equals the air pressure inside the tires.

Okay, so I experienced this same thing today but without rain. It started about 45 minutes into the drive at 75mph speeds. Don't know if temp of the tires have anything to do with it. It takes a little extra "nudge" with the steering wheel to get the car turning. I did switch from sport to standard steering and it was a bit better but not resolved. Could it be a steering issue rather than a tire issue?

Okay, so I experienced this same thing today but without rain. It started about 45 minutes into the drive at 75mph speeds. Don't know if temp of the tires have anything to do with it. It takes a little extra "nudge" with the steering wheel to get the car turning. I did switch from sport to standard steering and it was a bit better but not resolved. Could it be a steering issue rather than a tire issue?

This description makes it sound like steering behaviour. Borrowing a set of different tires from another owner and seeing if that changes things is really the only way to determine it. I didn't experience anything like that on my recent trip.