Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice recognition quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nearly everyday that I drive, I try to use the voice recognition in my Model S. To complete disappointment. If I attempt to say "drive" or "navigate" it doesn't work. Even if I use Siri through Bluetooth the recognition is horrible.

I've finally resorted to disconnecting my phone from Bluetooth in order to use Siri directly and type the addresses where I plan to navigate.

For reference, I'm from upstate NY (originally), so not much of an accent. Using Siri directly works perfectly. My only trouble with voice systems is through the car.

There's a thread on this that has tips, but it's actually a pretty good system when used correctly.

Tips:

1) After pressing the button, wait for the beep AND for the console message to display "recording". This will take just slightly longer than you think. Make sure you let up the button after you finish speaking.

2) You should be able to get it to correctly recognize at a normal volume level and normal speaking rate, unless the pano roof/windows are open.

3) Speak normally but clearly.

4) 3G coverage is obviously required.

5) If needed, try turning toward the mic in the center of the roof above the windshield.

6) if not having success speaking normally, try talking slightly slower or faster.

7) If it still doesn't work well, you might have service look into your mic quality.

Voice recognition works very very well for me.

Hey Todd -

Thanks for the reply. I'm familiar with the processes to get good recognition (I wrote voice recognition software for a few years). My problem is, despite doing all of those things I'm still not getting good recognition. I've used Google voice many times, as I understand it this is what's behind the Tesla reco system, and haven't had these kinds of problems.

In fact, to get a good recognition I have to turn off the air conditioner - even when the blower is on low. :-/

Just wanted to get a better understanding of other people's experiences.

The two main people that I talk to during my commute have commented that "it sounds like I'm in a car". As apposed to when I use my iPhone directly, they cannot tell. I assume this is due to the multiple microphone noise cancellation in the iPhone.

Does that jive when your experience or can people not tell?

At first I didn't get very good results with my Voice Recognition in my car, but now I get pretty good results with the voice recognition. I'm from the Northwest, so I have no real accent for it to deal with.

I found in my car that the seal of the pano roof just in front of the area where the Microphone is was initially not seating correctly. That was causing wind to get into the seal and cause wind noise to be picked up by the mic. I tested it by having my wife drive the car and I called her on the phone. The speaker phone in the car did not sound good. After adjusting the seal in the leading edge of the Pano roof, that helped improve the quality of the speaker phone and it seemed to improve the Voice Recognition for me. So check your seal and make sure it is flush with the car.

Just out of curiosity .... do you get any complaints of call quality when on the phone using bluetooth?

yes I do! Try placing your phone in the cubby under the 17" screen, that resulted in much better quality according to my callers. My theory is that its not (just) a microphone problem but that the bluetooth radio reception is inadequate for the "downlink" unless your phone is in an optimum spot.

Anybody else find this to be true?

I have found the voice recognition and audio quality to be pretty good overall, EXCEPT when the pano roof is open. I just figured out why.

Driving with the pano roof open causes a downdraft on the front edge of the opening that flows down over the mic and down the widshield (on the inside). At speeds of 30-40mph I was able to cup my hand over the front edge of the mic and it dramatically improved the caller's ability to hear me. I didn't check voice recognition in this state, but given the air flow over the mic without my hand there to disrupt it, it doesn't surprise me how bad it is.

There needs to be a better wind cutoff mic or something inside the cover to eliminate the wind noise.

I hate having to close the roof every time I get or want to make a call. I am going to look into options.

Bill