Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GREEN EZ Pass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the NJ Green EZ-pass. You get the green discount on the NJ toll booths - but it does *NOT* get you the green rates for the NYC tunnels and bridges. You'd need the PANYNJ ez-pass for those. I believe the same vise versa. So if you live in NJ and work in NY you need to 'tag swap' to get the green pass discount on the NJT and then put that away in the baggie and then use the PANYNJ tag to get the green pass discount through the tunnels into NYC. pain in the a$$ that they don't all just work together in one tag.

It is my understanding that the EZ Pass mounted inside the car does not work well, and that the exterior "brick" pass is needed. Has anyone had success with the regular pass mounted inside by/behind the rear view mirror?

Yes, I have the NY Green EZ pass. It took me over 2 months, about 10 phone calls and faxing my information 4 times. It was utterly ridiculous. Ask for a specific fax number that will go to someone associated with the Green Pass, I believe I finally sent mine to "Carlos". Follow up, ask when they expect you to have it. Ask who you talked to. I must say, for all the pain it was, it's totally worth it paying only $4.75 at the bridges and tunnels.

-edit-

The green ez pass is internal only. I found sticking it to the black plastic mount for the rear view mirror works 100% for me.

It is my understanding that the EZ Pass mounted inside the car does not work well, and that the exterior "brick" pass is needed. Has anyone had success with the regular pass mounted inside by/behind the rear view mirror?

Take this as one person's experience ... I have the transponder mounted below the mirror mount. Works like a charm when I have to stop at a gate, no problems being read. Not sure yet when passing through at speed.

I've tested on Whitestone, Tappan Zee, New Rochelle toll booth and Mass Pike.

I have for 4 EZPASSES and I live in Brooklyn, NY. One regular NJ ezpass and one green discount pass that did'nt work today at NJ garden state toll today for some reason but worked at the Goethals and Verrazano bridges. One Regular NY ezpass and one NY Thruway State green discount ezpass which I received but I applied for the Port Authority of NY green discount which you get $4.75 for the bridges instead of $10.75 but I got the NY Thruway green discount and get 10% off all tolls. I know its confusing but im going to call them and try to switch to Port Authority green discount ezpass.

I am still having trouble placing the green EZ Pass such that it gets read. I tried placing it on the back of the mirror stem. It worked about 50 % of the time. Anyone have a picture of the green EZ Pass in a location where it is working well?

I have my Green Pass. I went to College Point and applied in person. That was in late June. The downloadable form was missing some info on the bottom so I had to register again. After I submitted I had it in 2 weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

I placed mine at the top of the windshield right behind the mirror. It has worked every time.

Are you able to get the Green Pass if you are not a NY/NJ resident? I often go up to NYC and use the bridges and tunnels.

yes. I just received mine the other day. It's a "port authority of NY/NJ" green pass, so at least anyone from NY/NJ can get it.

Mine took forever to get. First, you can't apply online for the green pass - not allowed (there is no option to select green plan). I guess this is because they require proof (copy of registration). I had to print the PDF and fill it out. I faxed this app in (along with photo of registration) a few times with no luck. Calling them didn't help either. I waited months and never got anything.

Finally I just went over to the Port Authority EZPass service center in Staten Island on my way home from work 2 weeks ago to do this in person. They also had nothing on me in their system. I have no idea why they never received my faxes. So now that I was there in person, I find out that they do not process the green pass apps at this service center. Go figure. One of the NY service centers handles these. They said they would have to mail it to a different service center. I was skeptical of this since my previous attempts failed but 2 weeks later it arrived ;) Plus the people that worked there were idiots. They kept asking me 'what kind of car do you have?' and 'is it a hybrid?'. I said "its a Tesla Model S' and 'No it's not a hybrid, it's an EV'. They kept saying 'oh well that's probably why you never got your pass, it has to be a hybrid and there's only 3 vehicles on that list and yours isn't one of them'. I tried to explain to them how the program is for full EVs and not hybrids and the difference between them but they were too stupid to understand and kept telling me that my app would not go through because I didn't have a hybrid. Finally I just said to them "my mistake, yes my car is a hybrid...I thought you meant something else, can you mail my app to the other center please?" and they faxed it over on the spot. Wow. Shoot-me-please.

That being said, I now have 2 green passes. One from NJ EZPass for the Turnpike tolls and the NY/NJ Port Authortity Green pass so I can get the $4.75 lincoln tunnel toll in the mornings. I have to 'bag swap' so they don't both trigger. I make sure I put the other in the ESD baggy and put it under the console. Basically I hold up the NJ pass on entry/exit of the turnpike and then I hold up the NY/NJ Port authority green pass for the lincoln tunnel entry. A bit of a pain, but hey it saves me >$200/month so I'll deal with it.

Also, to those NJ Ezpass green pass holders: the NJ Green Pass discount program that was set to expire Nov 30th, 2013, has been extended for another 5 years ;) The new expiration date for the NJ EZPass Green Pass Discount is November 30, 2018.

N.J. Turnpike Authority extends toll-discount program for 'green' vehicles | NJ.com

src: http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/documents/Minutes_09-24-2013.pdf

- - - Updated - - -

Are you able to get the Green Pass if you are not a NY/NJ resident? I often go up to NYC and use the bridges and tunnels.

oh you are from PA - sry. not sure then. :(

Yobigd,
Where do you hold it up to?

I have tried 2 different inside passes, as well as the external "brick" in 3 different locations, and have problems with it reading consistently.

Thanks

Yobigd,
Where do you hold it up to?

I have tried 2 different inside passes, as well as the external "brick" in 3 different locations, and have problems with it reading consistently.

Thanks

i hold it above the rear view mirror. below the mirror and to the right of the mirror both do not work for me. i have about 70% success rate LOL . honestly, I think its more of how sensitive the scanners are. since I do this daily, I think I am starting to see a pattern of how some toll booths work consistently and others do not work consistently. I tend to drive through the ones that I can trigger successful detection more consistently now. so I'm starting to think that NJT's sensors suck.

teslasmarttag.JPG
After a month of inconsistent toll pass readings, I finally mounted mine physically attached to the black plastic cover of the rear view mirror. This location has worked for me every time in tolls in Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey and New York. Also, be sure the tag is new enough since they have an internal battery that does lose strength after a few years. (sorry for the sideways iphone picture)

Well I can confirm you can get the NJ Green pass regardless of the state you live in. Per NJ EZPass website: "Discounts are offered to customers of the NJ E-ZPass Program, regardless of their state of residency"

http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/toll-rates.html#calc

Not sure about the Port Authority one, but I would assume the same.