Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen 3: "A strong family resemblance [to the Model S]"

I assume that's supposed to be the Gen III SUV as opposed to the hatchback? I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

Quote Originally Posted by timf View Post
    I assume that's supposed to be the Gen III SUV as opposed to the hatchback? I'd buy it in a heartbeat!
    Don't know if the designer had a premonition, but I think the conventional wisdom is that the first iteration will be a sedan, so the second being an SUV or crossover could look something like this - of course I'd be fine if both the 2WD and 4WD looked like that, but I'd still wait for the 4WD.

Having owned two compact hatches, I really like the looks of this, but at this stage in my life, I'd be more interested in something along the lines of the 3 GT. Definitely all for a 5-door, but more of a grand touring style. Literally like a scaled-down Model S.

Quote Originally Posted by Darko View Post
    Attachment 23632

I realize I should have posted actual images, or at least one from the article. Btw, the Photoshop/doctoring design work is apparently by Theophilus Chin. Sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by igotzzoom View Post
    Having owned two compact hatches, I really like the looks of this, but at this stage in my life, I'd be more interested in something along the lines of the 3 GT. Definitely all for a 5-door, but more of a grand touring style. Literally like a scaled-down Model S.
    I see your point, although functionality-wise there really isn't much difference, just a bit longer in the butt. I actually have a SAAB 900 now, and that and the BMW 3GT are as you suggest slightly smaller versions of the Model S - basically a hatchback-sedan (I'm sure there's car-lingo for the type), which are great blends of style and functionality. It parses multiple car worlds and this appears to be Tesla's genius in breaking down barriers between categories - with performance in the electric drivetrain, but in turn with the style and functionality. So if Gen III were a sedan/hatchback/SUV crossover that would be pretty cool!

The again, I know I'm going to buy it no matter what the hell it looks like!

So if Gen III were a sedan/hatchback/SUV crossover that would be pretty cool!

The again, I know I'm going to buy it no matter what the hell it looks like!
    I'm with you. I'm really excited for the Gen-III whatever form it takes.

[QUOTE=Darko;361856]Attachment 23632

This would make a great Gen3
    60kwh⚪Blue⚪Tan Interior⚪Obeche Matte Wood⚪19"wheels⚪Pano Roof⚪Tech⚪SC
    Reserved:11/12/2012⚪Finalized:1/31/13⚪Delivery email:4/27/13⚪Delivered:5/17/13

Roadster Sports 835 & 972 ipdamages's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by igotzzoom View Post
    I'm with you. I'm really excited for the Gen-III whatever form it takes.
    I'm with you, and I think many are in this camp. All of these idea offerings are largely "nice to haves" and ideas to make the car even more compelling. But if they deliver on the mechanicals the style would have to be horrific to screw it up. A mini-S would be fine.

I'm one who would like to see some minor mods to the S in the Gen 3 (other than putting it on a diet). I think the Theophilus version Darko linked in does some of that. I like it. The front/nose and back are shorter, relatively speaking. I also like the shooting brake design or a wagon. But a sedan will almost surely be offered before such a design.

That squared off back seem unlikely. With all the extra space in Tesla's electric cars that box shape is unnecessary. Even the X does not do this.

Attachment 23632

I realize I should have posted actual images, or at least one from the article. Btw, the Photoshop/doctoring design work is apparently by Theophilus Chin. Sweet!
    Now THAT is the Tesla I would buy in an instant.

By the way, that Theophilus Chin is the same guy who did the great looking Wagon Version of the S.
    He really should work on Tesla's design team!

Roadster Sports 835 & 972 ipdamages's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinPowers View Post
    Now THAT is the Tesla I would buy in an instant.

By the way, that Theophilus Chin is the same guy who did the great looking Wagon Version of the S.
    He really should work on Tesla's design team!
    Here is the Theophilus version overlaid against the existing Model S, as well as the sedan I photoshopped.Name:  adjustments w theophilus.jpg
Views: 3680
Size:  432.3 KB

I agree, Eric, that the crossover/shooting brake/wagon will not be the first version released, but it may be offered eventually. With the heavy chopping of the back end I think the extra storage might be valued by buyers. In fact, it really doesn't add much vertically to the S on the back end as much as it is just cutting off the last foot or so of the taper.

Also, I size adjusted this to have the same wheelbase for the Theophilus version compared to the Model S. With that adjustment, his version is actually about two inches higher than the Model S if you keep the proportions and match the wheelbase. If one were to make the height the same and shrink the wheelbase a little, it would make the car even shorter in length, and then the storage shrinks even more.

Thread Information