Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(Seattle) Rent Parking with EV Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi...

I'll be getting my MS in a few weeks and the condo I live in wants $30k to install a charger. Yeah, crazy! Something about needing to do xrays and structural studies to run the cables.

But I'm not letting that rain on my parade to buy the Model S.

Can anyone suggest a garage in downtown or South Lake Union that I could rent a monthly parking space that at least has access to a public charger such as Blink or Charge point. It doesn't necessarily have to be in the downtown area.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love any hear from you.

Thanks

Chris

Hi...

I'll be getting my MS in a few weeks and the condo I live in wants $30k to install a charger. Yeah, crazy! Something about needing to do xrays and structural studies to run the cables.

Can anyone suggest a garage in downtown or South Lake Union that I could rent a monthly parking space that at least has access to a public charger such as Blink or Charge point. It doesn't necessarily have to be in the downtown area.

Thanks

Chris

Have you considered just charging at work? It should give you enough power for daily usage, and for weekends you'll be very close to SuperChargers pretty soon.

Have you considered just charging at work? It should give you enough power for daily usage, and for weekends you'll be very close to SuperChargers pretty soon.

I wish my work garage had a charger nearby but unfortunately not. I live 3 blocks from the SLU store but I was told not to count on them for regular charging.

The one alternative I thought of is the Whole Foods garage at 2200 Westlake but the parking manager never picks up his phone :(

Hi...

Thanks

Chris

30K?!? I could see maybe a couple of grand if it's involved. It might be a good idea to get an electrician to take a look with an eye to a plan that doesn't involve coring concrete and what-not. I suspect your condo board is just being obstructionist and 30K is their way of saying "go away kid, don't bother me". Box and corner is one way to get at it. They couldn't possibly object to you having a study done. Then get some quotes (I'm pretty certain it would be way less than 30K). At that point their obstructionism would become clear. Maybe get creative and find some one to swap parking spots with you if that makes the job cheaper/easier. I'm pretty sure you can get what you want if you just persist. [edit: you could always threaten to sue them. that ALWAYs gets the attention of condo boards. don't know if you want to get nuclear over it, though]

Also, you could probably sell them on increasing the desirability of the condos since they are "green" and EV friendly.

As to your original question, there are number of buildings downtown that have chargers in the garage. I know that the City Center parking garage (enter on Union btwn 5th and 6th has 2 charging stations though they seem to be ICEd some of the time. Not sure what the rules are. IIRC, they are Blink but it's been a while since I looked at them. CC parking definitely isn't the cheapest.

30K?!? I could see maybe a couple of grand if it's involved. It might be a good idea to get an electrician to take a look with an eye to a plan that doesn't involve coring concrete and what-not. I suspect your condo board is just being obstructionist and 30K is their way of saying "go away kid, don't bother me". Box and corner is one way to get at it. They couldn't possibly object to you having a study done. Then get some quotes (I'm pretty certain it would be way less than 30K). At that point their obstructionism would become clear. Maybe get creative and find some one to swap parking spots with you if that makes the job cheaper/easier. I'm pretty sure you can get what you want if you just persist. [edit: you could always threaten to sue them. that ALWAYs gets the attention of condo boards. don't know if you want to get nuclear over it, though]

Also, you could probably sell them on increasing the desirability of the condos since they are "green" and EV friendly.

As to your original question, there are number of buildings downtown that have chargers in the garage. I know that the City Center parking garage (enter on Union btwn 5th and 6th has 2 charging stations though they seem to be ICEd some of the time. Not sure what the rules are. IIRC, they are Blink but it's been a while since I looked at them. CC parking definitely isn't the cheapest.

If that doesn't work then GET JESSE!