Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some Amateur Advice for Telsa...from a loyal Tesla convert.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been an early EV convert since 2011 and have been Driving a Volt for my daily driver and have solar panels that make generates extra power for me.....I am the furthest thing away from an environmentalist, but it just made financial sense for me to go electric and I am extremely happy since doing it. All the talk about the negatives of the Volt were totally overblown and I have thoroughly enjoyed driving it till now. My previous cars include an SL500, M6, Jaguar XJ, CL550, Porsche 911, Corvette, and my Escalade so I have been a bit of a car nut myself. I don't usually drive more than 30 miles per day, so I am usually driving the car under full electric power.

I hesitated last year buying a Model S, and decided to wait for the Model X because of the lack of financing options. After driving one of my friends Model S, and with the announcement of the the availability of financining, I took the dive and ordered it in May.
I was comfortable with the quirky way that Tesla has for test driving the car, but found it a bit strange I couldn't really see the color options(on the cars itself rather than just a palette on the wall)/other options that were avaiable such as the $6500 option for the suspension package to see and drive. I struggled whether to order a 85, P85, or an P85+ and could only use the advice on the forum as well as some reviews of the car that I found on the internet. So I decided, what the heck, lets order the best that Tesla makes for now and cross my fingers and hope I like it......obviously Tesla loyalists such as myself wouldn't hesitate to put $110K + tax on the car, but if Tesla wants to make this a truly successful company that entrenches itself into the fabric of the american culture like Apple did, I think they may have to change the way they do business. I understand it is currently outselling MBZ/BMW luxury cars, but given the reviews and the accolades, and the uniqueness of the car, I expected it to well initially. But what is going to happen when the hoopla dies down....???
As a person who just plunked down a lot of money for a car, I want Tesla to succeed and bring EV's into mainstream. They need to eventually have new cars for immediate delivery in a lot like every other car dealer, especially those who buys a car on a whim, or those who want to see all the different models/colors/configurations available prior to buying it. Also some just like my sister refuse to buy anything on the internet.....I just wonder if the new Gen 3 that will compete with BMW/Audi will be more easily available....
For now, I am excited about finally driving a P85+, and hope it won't disappoint....i think it will be ready for delivery at the end of the month.

Almost TL;DR. :)

They need to eventually have new cars for immediate delivery in a lot like every other car dealer, especially those who buys a car on a whim, or those who want to see all the different models/colors/configurations available prior to buying it. Also some just like my sister refuse to buy anything on the internet.....
I don't agree. But for the sake of an interesting discussion...

1. Are there things that you personally only buy online (i.e. never buy at retail/physical stores)? If so, why?
2. Does your sister have a cell phone? Does it have any apps on it?

Of course I buy things online. My point it that if Tesla wants to go from a Niche company to something global, Tesla has to reach out to everyone.
I know plenty of people who refuse to buy things online, not just my sister. Most people over 65 don't ever order things online...how is Tesla going to reach that population pool??

I know plenty of people who refuse to buy things online, not just my sister. Most people over 65 don't ever order things online...how is Tesla going to reach that population pool??
So far that has been addressed by selling loaners and orphans.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course I buy things online. My point it that if Tesla wants to go from a Niche company to something global, Tesla has to reach out to everyone.
I don't agree. They have to reach the masses, but not everyone.

As an example, Facebook and Google didn't have to reach everyone. They just had to reach enough people.

Interesting discussion. No disrespect to the OP's sister but I don't believe I know anyone who has/will never buy something online. My dad is 83 and he frequently buys things online. As the number of stores continues to increase more people will have a casual opportunity to see the car and drive it. Here in the rural Midwest it's still: "What is that?" "It's a Tesla Model S." "Who makes it?" "Tesla."
I don't have any data but I would think impulse car buying is pretty rare though I'm sure it happens. Gen 3 is the key. The vast majority of folks who write the car off say something more like "Wow, awesome car but I can't afford it." If Gen 3 comes out at a reasonable price it's gonna sell off the shelves. It's really not that hard to buy the car. I did the whole thing from my easy chair without leaving the house.

It is evolution in process in that Tesla is going from near zero (there was Roadster support in place before MS) to a global car company. You can bet they will go where the sales are even if it means being stocking sales outlets. If it makes financial sense, they will do it. It is just going to take some time.

It is my opinion that they are spending their time and cash on exactly what they need to if they are going to dramatically improve sales. My wife finally went for MS when Tesla put some detail behind the SuperCharger network. I think this will generate more sales in the next year than having cars on the lot ready to go.

With their retail/low inventory strategy, it would be very impractical for Tesla to have one of every color at every location. If prospective buyer requires that, then they'll just need to head on down to the typical GM/Ford/Nissan, etc. dealership with their bloated inventory. Even normal ICE dealerships don't stock all models, (or even most models), so she is really limiting her options by selecting just from the dealership lot.

I have been an early EV convert since 2011 and have been Driving a Volt for my daily driver and have solar panels that make generates extra power for me.....I am the furthest thing away from an environmentalist, but it just made financial sense for me to go electric and I am extremely happy since doing it. All the talk about the negatives of the Volt were totally overblown and I have thoroughly enjoyed driving it till now. My previous cars include an SL500, M6, Jaguar XJ, CL550, Porsche 911, Corvette, and my Escalade so I have been a bit of a car nut myself. I don't usually drive more than 30 miles per day, so I am usually driving the car under full electric power.

I hesitated last year buying a Model S, and decided to wait for the Model X because of the lack of financing options. After driving one of my friends Model S, and with the announcement of the the availability of financining, I took the dive and ordered it in May.
I was comfortable with the quirky way that Tesla has for test driving the car, but found it a bit strange I couldn't really see the color options(on the cars itself rather than just a palette on the wall)/other options that were avaiable such as the $6500 option for the suspension package to see and drive. I struggled whether to order a 85, P85, or an P85+ and could only use the advice on the forum as well as some reviews of the car that I found on the internet. So I decided, what the heck, lets order the best that Tesla makes for now and cross my fingers and hope I like it......obviously Tesla loyalists such as myself wouldn't hesitate to put $110K + tax on the car, but if Tesla wants to make this a truly successful company that entrenches itself into the fabric of the american culture like Apple did, I think they may have to change the way they do business. I understand it is currently outselling MBZ/BMW luxury cars, but given the reviews and the accolades, and the uniqueness of the car, I expected it to well initially. But what is going to happen when the hoopla dies down....???
As a person who just plunked down a lot of money for a car, I want Tesla to succeed and bring EV's into mainstream. They need to eventually have new cars for immediate delivery in a lot like every other car dealer, especially those who buys a car on a whim, or those who want to see all the different models/colors/configurations available prior to buying it. Also some just like my sister refuse to buy anything on the internet.....I just wonder if the new Gen 3 that will compete with BMW/Audi will be more easily available....
For now, I am excited about finally driving a P85+, and hope it won't disappoint....i think it will be ready for delivery at the end of the month.

I think you're overthinking this. Tesla has their first production car on the road. All the things you point out are things that cannot reasonably all happen overnight. This is the first year. Give them a litte time. And more importantly, their current business model is providing a solid backlog of orders in the pipeline. It would be a waste, quite frankly, of limited resources to focus on activities to increase that pipeline when there are so many other tasks to get done.

As the company matures, we may see more models available to purchase on the spot for that rare person who doesn't ever ever ever shop online. We may see traditional advertising. But right now it's not necessary.

I think if you look at luxury brands they will rarely have an abundant stock. Most people that buy want to choose how they want it and it is also just too expensive to keep abundant inventory waiting for a buyer........ So as long as there is no mid market car there will be no abundant stock. Gen.III maybe... but how many BMW3s are sitting in the lot at your local BMW dealer? in Europe: very few.. but then again that might be europe...........

Joep85+, please give us your impressions of the car after you drive it for awhile. Did your friend have an 85 or a 60?

One of the issues I can see is not having the ability to test drive all the versions of Model S (so you can compare performance).

Elon nailed it when he said we were his best sales force. Several of my rides have resulted in orders. Perhaps I should team up with an S85 and S60 owner to provide potential buyers with some contrast. I'd be up for a coffee get together every couple of weeks to let potential buyers have a lookiesee

With their retail/low inventory strategy, it would be very impractical for Tesla to have one of every color at every location. If prospective buyer requires that, then they'll just need to head on down to the typical GM/Ford/Nissan, etc. dealership with their bloated inventory. Even normal ICE dealerships don't stock all models, (or even most models), so she is really limiting her options by selecting just from the dealership lot.

Best place to see an assortment of colors is the Service Centers. They have cars in for service as well as being processed for delivery.

…] Also some just like my sister refuse to buy anything on the internet.....I just wonder if the new Gen 3 that will compete with BMW/Audi will be more easily available.... /…
To me there’s quite the difference between companies like Tesla, Apple or Amazon for instance and some other company I’ve never heard of before with a homepage that looks like it was made ten years ago.

I’ve done plenty of shopping online, and never had one single problem. But I only shop from websites that I know, or at least I’m very certain of are reputable. How do I know, or how can I be very certain?

In Sweden there are two web portals where you can compare prices between different companies and products in all kinds of categories. On these portals you can see which companies have been verified as safe to do business with. There are also reviews you can look at. So even if I haven’t heard of the company before; if it is verified as safe to buy from on these portals, and there are thousands of reviews that are all mostly positive, then I feel pretty safe buying from them regardless.

But even so, just to be absolutely safe I only use a VISA card without access to credit, and I never have more money on the connected bank account than I need for my purchases. So if the card/account somehow were to get hacked, and my bank was to decide to not refund my money immediately, then there’s only so much money that’s at temporary risk.

If I had the money, and needed a car for my personal transportation, I’d buy a Model S in a heartbeat. Because: 97% of the scientist in the field are unable to guarantee that we – the people living on this planet – aren’t facing catastrophical sea-level rise as a result of man made climate change. About half a year ago the sea level in the New York region had risen nine to ten inches over the last 100 years!

Source (includes transcript): A Crisis Foretold: Studies Warned New York Infrastructure Critically Threatened by Climate Change | Democracy Now!

See also: Global Warming and Climate Change skepticism examined

And this tread on this forum for instance: Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

Therefore – I am absolutely an environmentalist!

Tesla is currently the only company in the world that is committed to producing a mid-sized electric vehicle with enough usable range – the Gen 3 car – and to me, that’s worth supporting. And until the Gen 3 arrives, IMHO, the Model S or the Tesla Roadster are by far the best options out there.

Last edited:
Also some just like my sister refuse to buy anything on the internet.....I just wonder if the new Gen 3 that will compete with BMW/Audi will be more easily available....

My guess is that someone who refuses to buy on the internet is probably not likely to take the risk of buying an electric car controlled via touchscreen. Not the target segment for S, X or Gen III, IMO.

My guess is that someone who refuses to buy on the internet is probably not likely to take the risk of buying an electric car controlled via touchscreen. Not the target segment for S, X or Gen III, IMO.

Have there been issues reported about this part of Tesla’s business model?

Also: Can’t you just place your order in one of the Tesla Stores? I know you currently can’t in Texas, but how about the rest of the US?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok. You can place an order in a Tesla Store in Texas. It’s just that in Texas a Tesla employee can’t assist you with that part. Right?

Have there been issues reported about this part of Tesla’s business model?

Also: Can’t you just place your order in one of the Tesla Stores? I know you currently can’t in Texas, but how about the rest of the US?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok. You can place an order in a Tesla Store in Texas. It’s just that in Texas a Tesla employee can’t assist you with that part. Right?

You place the order online...

On a computer, on the Internet... :)

I think if you look at luxury brands they will rarely have an abundant stock. Most people that buy want to choose how they want it and it is also just too expensive to keep abundant inventory waiting for a buyer........ So as long as there is no mid market car there will be no abundant stock. Gen.III maybe... but how many BMW3s are sitting in the lot at your local BMW dealer? in Europe: very few.. but then again that might be europe...........

I think most folks in the Bay Area are more likely to buy out of dealer stock.

The local BMW lot had 4 M5s that I could choose from. The local Audi only had 3 S6, but there could have been more at the next dealer. If I wanted an E63 AMG instead, I would have needed to drive an hour or so to get any selection, but after that drive, they would have had 5 E63s.

Here's the thing, though: 4 or 5 is usually "good enough", but not necessarily "abundant". You get the brochure that has all these options and colors, and then you go to the store, and the only one with the options you want isn't your first choice of color. You have the option: you can buy the imperfect car today on their "this weekend only!" sale at "invoice price" (including dealer crap like a $300 cargo net or overpriced paint protection), or you can pay close to MSRP for them to build you the car you want over the next few months. Last time I bought a car from a dealer, I bought the suboptimal car at invoice price, rather than waiting for them to build me the perfect car. If I could have ordered the optimal configuration for the same price but with a 2 month wait, I would have done that, but others that needed a car today wouldn't.

Anyway, with a queue of orders, Tesla's current strategy of build to order certainly makes sense. Once they work through their queue, however, I think they might need to have some standard configurations ready to go to the person that ordered today and wants the car tomorrow. I'm not convinced that they need to have dozens of cars at every sales location, though.