Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Realistic 3rd row seating for adults?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that we've had a Model S for about a month, it's unbelievable how old fashioned our gas-powered cars seem.

We currently have a Buick Enclave as our 'people-hauler' because the Lamda's offer by far the roomiest third-row seat. It is no problem to carry adults in the third row of this vehicle. Legroom is a tad tight for 6+ footers, but it still works.

The reason for this post is: Elon Musk has repeatedly said on calls, interviews, etc. that the Model X will "hold 7 adults and their luggage." I've only been able to see crappy photos of the Model X prototypes on display, but from what I've seen, the third row is currently quite diminutive. Much smaller looking than our Enclave. I can't figure out how it could be possible for adults to be comfortable back there.

Are they still working on the interior design, with the intent that the final design 3rd row will be roomy for adults? Is this optimistic "Tesla math?" Is there something I'm not seeing?

I really want the Model X to be able to replace the Encalve in a couple years, but we can't sacrifice passenger room.

This video will give you a good idea of access to the 3rd seat starting around 1:15.
The Buick Enclave is slightly longer (6") but its how you use the space that counts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sat in the 3rd row seats at the Model X reveal in February of 2012 at Hawthorne. It was a very, very short test ride and I was the only one back in the 3rd row, but it was very comfortable for me sitting there (I'm about 5 feet 10 inches and 200 pounds). I think it might be a tad cozy in terms of shoulder room for 2, but leg room and head room seemed to be generous.

It was only the prototype, so who knows what the production car will be like, but I think 7 could fit fairly comfortably. The luggage space is actually huge. If you look at the Teslamotors website, they have a video of the reveal and towards the end of the video, you can see all the bags they fit in the back and the frunk. It was quite impressive.

The back storage area behind the 3rd row is super deep because there is no fuel or exhaust system. You can fit a ton of big luggage back there because it's so deep.

Does anybody know if the third row folds away to create extra cargo room? I would not want the third row up except when boing used and don't know if that is part of the plan, or if it would always be up and available. Has this been announced yet?

Does anybody know if the third row folds away to create extra cargo room? I would not want the third row up except when boing used and don't know if that is part of the plan, or if it would always be up and available. Has this been announced yet?

I would certainly assume so; if not, this vehicle would be laughably impractical for carrying much of anything.

Bonnie captured a good pic some time ago of both rows folded from the reveal video

attachment.php?attachmentid=14581.png

We carry two large Akitas around frequently and so the most must-have feature for the X would be a removable third row with second row sliding forward to allow the dogs to climb into the back area. We want them to be removable (rather than just folded flat) to make the exit as low as possible so they aren't jumping down from a high space. Can anyone confirm/verify whether the third row can be easily removed? We would also want to be able to put them back in if needed. We have an S (well, my husband does) and the X is destined for me only if it works for the dogs. And I hope it does, because I want it!!

The model X is scheduled to have 3 seats which seems to take away quite a bit of leg space for someone sitting in the second row seats. Does anyone know if they are making a version that has only two rows of seats that has the second row adjusted toward the rear to allow more legroom?

The model X is scheduled to have 3 seats which seems to take away quite a bit of leg space for someone sitting in the second row seats. Does anyone know if they are making a version that has only two rows of seats that has the second row adjusted toward the rear to allow more legroom?

It was stated in this email sent out to all preorder customers that the third row will be an option, it will not come standard. So, the answer is yes.

I am more than a little worried about the legroom and comfort to be less than optimal in the second and third rows. The reason we didn't buy the Model S was the uncomfortable back seat and lack of room. This car will be roughly the same size but will have the option of an extra row. I know the height might help. I wonder if they made the third row seats optional because there is still a lack of space. We really only care about the second row so it is not as big of a deal for us although the whole point of the Falcon wing doors was the access to both rows. I guess we will find out soon when people get to see the alphas on the road.

I looked at all the pictures and videos of the prototype and really the leg room is not impressive.

We've had this discussion on the forum multiple times ... people that have ridden in the 2nd and 3rd rows (not just looked at pictures) would disagree. What it obviously comes down to is until people can climb in for themselves, they're not going to believe the first hand experience of any other person.

Imo, the leg room WAS impressive. Same for the guys who sat back there. We rode in it. Admittedly, I rode shotgun, twice. But I've also climbed around in the back. And plenty of other people here have ridden in the back rows and have verified. I'll find the link in a minute (before we repeat the same thread all over again...)

We've had this discussion on the forum multiple times ... people that have ridden in the 2nd and 3rd rows (not just looked at pictures) would disagree. What it obviously comes down to is until people can climb in for themselves, they're not going to believe the first hand experience of any other person.

Imo, the leg room WAS impressive. Same for the guys who sat back there. We rode in it. Admittedly, I rode shotgun, twice. But I've also climbed around in the back. And plenty of other people here have ridden in the back rows and have verified. I'll find the link in a minute (before we repeat the same thread all over again...)

Don't bother with the link, the same comments where made in the early days of the model S. I agree with you that we won't know until the final model x is there for people to try.
I also realize that "enough" space and legroom is different for different people.

I sat in the 3rd row seats at the Model X reveal in February of 2012 at Hawthorne. It was a very, very short test ride and I was the only one back in the 3rd row, but it was very comfortable for me sitting there (I'm about 5 feet 10 inches and 200 pounds). I think it might be a tad cozy in terms of shoulder room for 2, but leg room and head room seemed to be generous.

I also sat in the 3rd row at the Hawthorne Model X reveal and I am 6'4" and 260 pounds. I was surprised at the ease of getting in and out and the amount of space back there. My head did not hit the ceiling in the Model X because in the 3rd row the ceiling is actually the rear hatch glass. So that gave me an extra couple inches of headroom.

I have been hoping that as Tesla prepares an extended wheelbase Model S for the Chinese market that they would use that extended wheelbase for the Model X. In which case the 3rd row would be bigger than a minivan which crushes the Enclave in rear seat legroom.

I understand Tesla will make the 3rd row seating in Model X as optional. IMO, the interior design should integrate the third row seating as a standard feature, not an afterthought. I recall Elon saying there was "room for improvement" on the Model X prototype. I'm hoping he meant that literally and is increasing the vehicle room (overall length). I'd be concerned about having my kids in the 3rd row just inches from the back windshield. My current ride is a Honda Pilot, seats 8 standard, quite boxy in appearance, however I am comfortable with my kids in the 3rd row.
And why the fabric colour change for the 2nd row? IMO looks odd.

I understand Tesla will make the 3rd row seating in Model X as optional. IMO, the interior design should integrate the third row seating as a standard feature, not an afterthought. I recall Elon saying there was "room for improvement" on the Model X prototype. I'm hoping he meant that literally and is increasing the vehicle room (overall length). I'd be concerned about having my kids in the 3rd row just inches from the back windshield. My current ride is a Honda Pilot, seats 8 standard, quite boxy in appearance, however I am comfortable with my kids in the 3rd row.
And why the fabric colour change for the 2nd row? IMO looks odd.

I agree it looks tight from the exterior photos, but the inside shots look like there is a bit of room. I would be very surprised if it's unlike the S and lacks a substantial subframe between the rear of the car and the seating area. Here's the best photo I can find:

attachment.php?attachmentid=53297&d=1404887494.jpg