Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NoVA to NY and/or Atlantic City?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JST

May 23, 2013
All,

Just had my first Tesla test-drive the other week, and was utterly blown away. I've gone from "just screwing around" to "how do I make this work" very quickly, and am looking for practical stories/experiences that anyone can offer.

I'm thinking of a 60, just because an 85 is probably a bit out of reach financially.

I live in Arlington, and my two main out-of-town travel destinations are family in suburban NY/NJ and Atlantic City. Either looks easily doable with a stop at the Delaware Supercharger. In NY/NJ, I could hit the Short Hills Tesla store, which is not far from where my inlaws live. PlugShare shows a couple of options in Atlantic City.

So, two specific questions:

1. Does anyone have experience with doing a run from NoVA to Atlantic City? Where'd you charge when you got there?

2. I'd be making the NY run at least some times in the winter. What have been peoples' experiences making that trip in the cold? I know about the infamous NYT article, but am interested in any input folks might have on just what kind of a range hit I'd be looking at (and how the terrible traffic on, e.g., Thanksgiving might impact range).

Thanks in advance!

I would highly recommend reading ChadS post here about range on road trips, and charge times. How to plan a road trip - how long will it take?

I can't speak to AC, but I do NYC regularly from Rockville, in my 85. I can tell you that it's an easy trip, just over 100 miles to the DE Supercharger, then another 120 or so to NYC. With the upcoming Supercharger around exit 13 on the Turnpike, it will get even easier. The biggest issue I see with planning is what you will see from ChadS post which in a nutshell is, I've had trips where conditions and traffic where great, and I get 220 Wh/m and I've had trips that I was in a monsoon the entire drive and was in the 450 Wh/m range. The saying YMMV is very true, and if you are doing the trip regularly you should plan your needs for bad weather.

As a quick side note, I've found traffic to be no issue at all, I get better efficiencies in heavy traffic than I do when it's empty out and I can zip along.

Peter

There are some chargers located in the public garage at the foot of AC Expressway by the outlets. I have driven my MS to Harrahs and Borgata and they were willing to accomodate me overnight with a charge. I think Harrahs has a golf cart outlet in their garage (no idea of the volts/amps) I think they had a 110 at the Borgata. The Valets know best. I live in Mullica Hill, NJ (which is about 20 miles from the DE supercharger) and have a 100AMP HPWC in my garage if anyone can't make it back to DE. PM me.

I'm heading to Atlantic City next weekend. Based on what I can see on Plugshare, the Borgata has a few charging options but there are no rooms left, so it looks like we're going to stay at Harrahs. I see from an old post above that Harrahs was able to provide some kind of charging support a few years ago. Has anyone been there recently and managed to charge there? If so, I would be interested in hearing the details. Thanks.

My comment's are similar to bluetinc's.

I live in NoVA (Ashburn to be exact) and have made the NYC trip half a dozen times. The DE supercharger is almost exactly the halfway point for me at ~125 miles away. A 30-40 minute bathroom/lunch/snack stop, and you'll have more than you need to hit NYC in all but the coldest of weather.

Early on, destination charging in NYC was a bit more of a concern, but now that there are several superchargers along the NJ Turnpike, including some right outside the city, you can hit one as you enter/exit the city to juice up to make it back to DE.

That having been said, for the last trip we made (a stop in NYC as we continued north up to MA), I found a parking garage with HPWCs, so I basically had a full pack the next morning. Check Plugshare for options...

I'm heading to Atlantic City next weekend. Based on what I can see on Plugshare, the Borgata has a few charging options but there are no rooms left, so it looks like we're going to stay at Harrahs. I see from an old post above that Harrahs was able to provide some kind of charging support a few years ago. Has anyone been there recently and managed to charge there? If so, I would be interested in hearing the details. Thanks.

Sorry, haven't stayed at Harrahs; we generally stay in a house up there and I end up using the Wave garage downtown, which is moderately inconvenient but not terrible. I've never had a problem getting a charging spot there. (knock wood).

I'd give Harrahs a call and ask, but if you don't want to stay all the way out by the Marina you can stay downtown somewhere and leave the car at the Wave garage.

My comment's are similar to bluetinc's.

I live in NoVA (Ashburn to be exact) and have made the NYC trip half a dozen times. The DE supercharger is almost exactly the halfway point for me at ~125 miles away. A 30-40 minute bathroom/lunch/snack stop, and you'll have more than you need to hit NYC in all but the coldest of weather.

Early on, destination charging in NYC was a bit more of a concern, but now that there are several superchargers along the NJ Turnpike, including some right outside the city, you can hit one as you enter/exit the city to juice up to make it back to DE.

That having been said, for the last trip we made (a stop in NYC as we continued north up to MA), I found a parking garage with HPWCs, so I basically had a full pack the next morning. Check Plugshare for options...

My small piece of advice to Tabarnouche would be to avoid the DE supercharger if you can. I live in NoVa also (Fairfax), have "only" a 70D, but going with the flow of traffic, I've went from home to the NJ rest stop on a single charge. It's faster to SpC at a lower SOC and DE tends to get crowded and is only 90kw, so if you're paired, you're stuck for a while.

I have family in NY, so I've done this trip many times in the warmer weather. In the winter, I don't think I'll have the range to skip DE, but if I had an 85kwh, I'm sure I could skip it year round.

My small piece of advice to Tabarnouche would be to avoid the DE supercharger if you can. I live in NoVa also (Fairfax), have "only" a 70D, but going with the flow of traffic, I've went from home to the NJ rest stop on a single charge. It's faster to SpC at a lower SOC and DE tends to get crowded and is only 90kw, so if you're paired, you're stuck for a while.

I have family in NY, so I've done this trip many times in the warmer weather. In the winter, I don't think I'll have the range to skip DE, but if I had an 85kwh, I'm sure I could skip it year round.

But DE has a Baja Fresh!