Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kansas City, MO area Hotel with EV charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
Hoping to simplify my research. Will be driving to the Ray-Pec area for a track meet on Saturday, sleeping overnight somewhere between there and Liberty. Want to take the Model S and would prefer a hotel with a 30 or 50 amp outlet or an EV charger.

Anyone know of a good, reasonably cheap, option.

Evan, Via Tapatalk

I don't know about hotels but I'm staying at the Oak Grove KOA in one of their cabins on my trip to Colorado.

That's an interesting option. Looks like $54/night, no bathroom in the cabin, which is doable, but less than desirable. Is there a 50amp service at the cabin? Did you call to arrange a spot so you'd have access to the 50 amp service?

FWIW, I found a hotel (Residence Inn) less than a mile South of Union Station for $119/night. I shouldn't need 50 amp service to get a full charge and don't need a full charge to get home, so that should work fine. The Westin is closer, but $200/noc. There's also a Fairfield in just across the street from the Residence Inn that's $129/noc. Still hoping for an on-site charging option, so still open to other suggestions

I don't see any hotels with on-site charging, but many hotels near the Kauffman Center for Performing Arts, which has ChargePoint J1772's and overnight parking for around $5-10.

Directions & Parking | Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts

EV Charging Location - Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts Garage - Kansas City, MO

Please let us know which hotels you called and asked to install chargers for next time =)

- - - Updated - - -

Just found the Courtyard Marriott has chargers!
4000 North Mulberry Drive · Kansas City, Missouri 64116
816-841-3300
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/maps/travel/mcino-courtyard-kansas-city-at-briarcliff/

Photos from PlugShare, it's not on Recargo:
http://www.plugshare.com/?location=13026#

I would call and double check that it is working, please report back!

Great Find dbfish! I have made a reservation. Called to confirm they still have the charger, but at midnight the guy wasn't sure. I'm trusting in PlugShare and will call in a day or two during daylight hours to confirm. Saves me $15 and will be a lot more convenient to have the charger there at the hotel. I like Courtyard by Marriott better anyway.

Plan B, spend several hours at Boulevard Brewing Company? :)
http://www.recargo.com/sites/2157

LOL! Then I'd never make it home!
Was excited to see a charger at a Walgreens in Liberty right across the street from the High School, but it turns out the track meet is a William Jewel College a bit too far down the road to walk. Still, as long as the hotel charger works I should be in good shape for getting home.

Quick update. I'm sitting in my bed at the very nice and comfortable LEEDS certified Courtyard by Marriott - Briarcliff in North Kansas City. My Model S is charging at 30 amps on the GE Wattstation which worked without a hitch. There is what appears to be a very nice shopping center within easy walking distance nearby (will check that out tomorrow).

I've added this charger to several of the EV Charger apps that didn't have it before and have edited the name on PlugShare (previously just labeled as "GE Wattstation) to Courtyard by Marriott - Briarcliff so it is easier to identify as being at a hotel. Particularly important since it appears to be the only one directly on hotel property in KC--there are several within walking distance in downtown KC, but I didn't feel comfortable leaving the S overnight there.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1370660061.290579.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1370660044.555661.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1370660112.500794.jpg

Evan, Via Tapatalk

Reactions: mobe
Quick update. I'm sitting in my bed at the very nice and comfortable LEEDS certified Courtyard by Marriott - Briarcliff in North Kansas City. My Model S is charging at 30 amps on the GE Wattstation which worked without a hitch. There is what appears to be a very nice shopping center within easy walking distance nearby (will check that out tomorrow).

I've added this charger to several of the EV Charger apps that didn't have it before and have edited the name on PlugShare (previously just labeled as "GE Wattstation) to Courtyard by Marriott - Briarcliff so it is easier to identify as being at a hotel. Particularly important since it appears to be the only one directly on hotel property in KC--there are several within walking distance in downtown KC, but I didn't feel comfortable leaving the S overnight there.

Evan, Via Tapatalk

Thanks Evan (and DBFish)! This will be our overnight stay as we travel to MN & WI. I will be telling them when reserving, and again while staying there, that our reason for stopping is the EV Charger.

I'll add the hotel Aloft in the Leawood area of Overland Park, KS. There are 2 ChargePoint EV chargers in the free parking garage immediately adjacent to the hotel. And the hotel is outstanding. There are tones of eating and shopping options in the Park Place shopping district it is located in and even an AMC 20 movie theater. This is a good option for a South/West KC hotel.

Evan, Via Tapatalk

I am currently at this Courtyard, but am not yet able to recharge using the GE WattStation.

Maintenance spent a generous amount of time trying to get it to work, but I don't see any sign that the unit ever activates. When I plug into the j1772 adapter, there is a check charger power message on the 17" screen, followed by "charger cable fault". On the WattStation screen a red exclamation point flashes.

The hotel had difficulty contacting WattStation support, and when they did they were told that Internet and remote diagnostic tools were down, so they would have to wait for assistance. The manager reports that several people use the station regularly without issue. For my part, I used L2 Chargepoint 4 days ago without a problem.

On plugshare someone mentions a failure a few weeks ago, but there is a more recent successful check-in.

The hotel has kindly offered me r/t transportation if I leave the car somewhere remotely to recharge. I am going to try the WattStation again around 8 pm. If it is still down, I'll accept the Courtyard's offer. May someone suggest a secure location to drop off the S for an overnight recharge?

Nissan Fenton of Tiffany is kindly allowing me to charge overnight. They refused my offer to pay, but I was able to leave a small souvenir of Canada that I brought for such occasions.

A lot of the city L2 stations had posted time limits, so would not have helped much.

The Courtyard of Marriott at Briarfield is where Tesla visits for KC road tests. Naturally, one 30 amp station (currently broken) is rather weak for Tesla. According to staff, there are discussions about having Tesla "fast chargers" put in. I think they are referring to HPWC rather than SpC.

Hampton Inn & Suites - Country Club Plaza, 4600 Summit, Kansas City, MO 64112 has made available to registered guests two Clipper Creek HCS-60 Level 2 chargers with J1772 connectors. These chargers are rated at 48 amps or 11 kW. The chargers are located on the 1st level of the parking structure nearest to the elevators.

Very thankful to stumble across this thread via a Google search & find everyones' great feedback. Planning my first road trip for summer 2017 from Dallas, TX to my home town of Waterloo, IA. The plan was to overnight in KC, and then try to make it all the way to Des Moines the next day (2016 MS 75). The nav system has me routing from Topeka SC north to Council Bluffs, IA to the next SC stop. But a lot of that leg is on state highway - and I want to avoid as much start/stop through towns as possible. Was tickled to learn about the Hampton Inn/Suites - Country Club Plaza...I love Hamptons, and that I can earn Hilton points!! A big TAHNK YOU to everyone on this thread, and esp. Model S P.

BTW, if anyone who has been on this thread previously has any additional new spots, I'd love to know! Cheers!

There is a nice place to stay right next to the SuperCharger in KC (actually Independence). I think it is the Stoney Creek (Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center Kansas City Independence) but call them first and make sure this is the one by the Bass Pro Shop/Tesla SuperCharger. They are a stone's throw from one another, the SuperC between them. Nice place to stay with reasonable pricing, as I recall. I just got up in the morning, took the car the block over, walked back while my wife and I showered and got ready, and the car was charged when I walked back to get it. You could leave it there all night, but I preferred it next to the hotel at night.