Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4.5 broke my workflow! (changed unlock procedure)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PattyChuck

Model S P100D, Model X P90D
Jan 24, 2012
Valparaiso, Indiana
I used to be able to approach the back of the car, press the trunk release switch (the one right above the license plate) for about a second, and it would unlock the car (extending the handles) without opening the rear hatch. After upgrading to 4.5, the trunk now opens. Does anyone know of a "workaround" for this? I'm usually approaching my car with my toddler in one arm, and a school bag in the other, so digging in my pocket for a key is difficult.

I know, I know, this is a really silly gripe, and the rear hatch now functions as it was probably intended to, but if anyone knows of a way to unlock the doors by approaching the rear of the car without having to press the button on the keyfob, I'd love to hear it.

I've attached a relevant xkcd before anyone else does :biggrin:

workflow.png

I don't understand, why hold the rear lift handle for a second to unlock it, but not want to raise it? What's the point?

If the goal is to get the rear door handles to extend, why is pausing and using a hand to hold the rear handle for second better than just stepping 3 feet closer to the front door to get it to detect your key? Seems like that'd be faster anyway.

I don't understand, why hold the rear lift handle for a second to unlock it, but not want to raise it? What's the point?

In my case, the point is to get the car to unlock so I can remove the charging cable. I back into my garage, so the car doesn't unlock as I approach it from behind – and you can't remove the charge cable until you've unlocked the car. Fumbling in my purse for the fob is an inelegant solution, as is having to do the shimmy described above. I'm not thrilled about this change.

I used to be able to approach the back of the car, press the trunk release switch (the one right above the license plate) for about a second, and it would unlock the car (extending the handles) without opening the rear hatch.

Pressing the trunk release switch on the car (which I only found out about within the past couple of weeks) used to not operate the trunk? I've never heard of this...wow. Was this just your car or was this an actual feature that Tesla documented and others also experienced? I thought I'd read every thread on every obscure little feature here--I guess not!

Pressing the trunk release switch on the car (which I only found out about within the past couple of weeks) used to not operate the trunk? I've never heard of this...wow. Was this just your car or was this an actual feature that Tesla documented and others also experienced? I thought I'd read every thread on every obscure little feature here--I guess not!
Long pressing it when the car is locked would unlock/present the handles. Another press woudl then open the trunk. If the car was already unlocked, then a single press open the trunk

In my case, the point is to get the car to unlock so I can remove the charging cable. I back into my garage, so the car doesn't unlock as I approach it from behind – and you can't remove the charge cable until you've unlocked the car. Fumbling in my purse for the fob is an inelegant solution, as is having to do the shimmy described above. I'm not thrilled about this change.

I can certainly understand having one's routine. To be honest, I'm still not sure how having to have a hand free and hold the button for a second is faster/easier than just walking 5 feet towards the front door, but we all have our preferences.

<snip>I back into my garage, so the car doesn't unlock as I approach it from behind – and you can't remove the charge cable until you've unlocked the car.</snip>

Yes, this is also part of the reason why I don't like this change. It'd be really super nice if Tesla was able to update the software to where pressing the button on the charging cable would detect if the keyfob was in your possession thus unlocking at least the charging cable, if not the doors as well.

PattyChuck, I think that would be an excellent feature. It's annoying to have to try to get the car to see the key fob, when all I want to do is just remove the charging cable. Another benefit is by lowering the "friction" of removing the charging cable, the more likely that folks will extend the courtesy of timely removing the cable at public charging stations.

Yes, this is also part of the reason why I don't like this change. It'd be really super nice if Tesla was able to update the software to where pressing the button on the charging cable would detect if the keyfob was in your possession thus unlocking at least the charging cable, if not the doors as well.

Great idea! I still forget this periodically at home, and try to remove it before going up (or tapping the fob button).

I use the trunk unlock button method all the time to remove my charge cable. Instead of walking to the car door and then shaking my leg at the handle (not kidding!) I just touch the trunk unlock button and the car unlocks. Don't have to touch the key or shake my leg. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I use the trunk unlock button method all the time to remove my charge cable. Instead of walking to the car door and then shaking my leg at the handle (not kidding!) I just touch the trunk unlock button and the car unlocks. Don't have to touch the key or shake my leg. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This, I need to see.

I'm with the OP: I like the way it used to work, before 4.5, and for the same reasons. The "Tesla Two-Step" is awkward and inefficient, at best; and double-clicking the top fob button through my pants is a PITA.

I like PattyChuck's suggestion even better than the old behavior, though.

I often used the hatch button to unlock the car. Sometimes it really is more convenient than any other available method.

What I don't understand, though, is why the car doesn't auto-unlock when I'm right next to it. I wish the auto-unlock range were several times larger than it is. and directly_in_front_of_the_car isn't as useful as right_next_to_the_rear_door.

This is my #2 frustration with the car.