Page 1 of 43 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Coda Automotive (formerly Miles Automotive Group)

Coda Automotive (formerly Miles Automotive Group)

Has anyone seen this company site before?

http://www.milesautomotive.com/showroom_xs200.php

They already have two models available, top speed only 25mph, "runtime" of 200 minutes. But they do plan on releasing other vehicles:

Javlon Electric Motor Coporation, Ltd., a proud division of Miles Automotive Group, Ltd. is continuing the development of advanced high speed all electric vehicles which will have speeds of 80 mph. They will meet all National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and EU standards and will have ranges in excess of 150 miles on a single charge. It is anticipated that these high speed vehicles will become available for sale by the end of 2008.

Possible WhiteStar challenger - Javlon XS500. Is it real?

This seems more like a stick shift than an EV.* At the very least, it does not appear to be an EV built from the ground up.
    The undercarriage photo may even show a catalytic converter.* Personally, it does not do much for me – too ICE looking.* However, it is not a "punishment" car!

4-door, 5-passenger sedan
    85 MPH top speed
    150 mile range
    25 kWh, 80 Ah lithium-ion batteries
    6-hour charge time
    $30,000 base price

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/04...-electric-sed/
    P1431, 60kWh, Pearl White, Active Air, Pano, Textile, Supercharger Access

Head Moderator / Administrator doug's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Possible WhiteStar challenger - Javlon XS500. Is it real?

I was just about to post on this, but you beat me to it. Nothing about it says EV to me. Too bad there's no photo showing what's under the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by doug
    I was just about to post on this, but you beat me to it.* Nothing about it says EV to me.* Too bad there's no photo showing what's under the hood.
    If you listen to the interview, they said it's not a functioning EV, it's just a shell to show potential dealers what the finished car will look like.* So I assume it's something they are already building in China as a gasoline-powered car.* (Similar to Zap going around showing the Lotus APX to dealers and telling them it's what the ZAP-X will look like.) Here's what I already posted on ABG:

It sounds to me like a good addition to the marketplace. A couple of things were said in the interview that I found questionable. The suggestion that a fast charging system would heat and degrade the batteries implies to me that it lacks the sort of cooling system that Tesla have built into their battery pack. The suggestion that regenerative braking might not improve the range, or that it might result in a bad driving experience, seemed based in ignorance.

It should be easily apparent that this is a conversion from an existing gasoline-powered design (much like the Phoenix SUT & SUV).

The limited range and speed, the mundane appearance, and (let's be honest) the fact that it's made in China are all negatives on a $30,000 car. It might get traction if gas prices go higher (which doesn't seem unlikely) or if electric cars suddenly become fashionable (which could happen, but this car won't be what makes it happen).

MP3 audio on Auto Blog Green indicates the vehicle is based on a Miles chasis shown in the photos. *Perhaps they will remove ICE components and retrofit the EV motor and batteries. * The vehicle will be made in China.

Using Tesla as the model company, then there'd have to be validation prototypes at present, right? I'll bet we see some big releases shortly--or maybe I'm hopeful. That's a price I'd be happy to pay, and a release date in 2008 beats everyone in the sedan department.
    Dave

'05 Passat powered by Biodiesel
    '54 Corvette

I also hope to see significant releases. Perhaps sometime around 2010 the EV floodgates will open.

As tonybelding indicated, javlon’s range, speed, appearance and foreign manufacture will be limiting factors.

This yahoo! article does not mention Tesla. ???

http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center-article_161/

Miles Javlon

This one crept up on us...Miles is likely to have their prototype in the states by September, '07

http://news.com.com/In+electric+car+...3-6201822.html

That could be some serious competition for Tesla, especially for an EV for $30,000. Even if it's made in China. You have to figure most of the components of the Roadster are foreign-manufactured as well. Let's hope one doesn't spontaneously combust
    Dave

'05 Passat powered by Biodiesel
    '54 Corvette

Hmm...I wonder how the average American will feel about driving a Chinese car. I'm not saying they have a problem with China but even if this car is greatly engineered will people be able to get over the whole "China makes cheap thing" notion. The price seems a little high, especially when it will have to compete with the bluestar. To me the whitestar, although much more expensive, may end up being better value.

Here are some pictures: http://www.autobloggreen.com/gallery...t-afvi/201752/

Do we know the engine power?
    Apparently it is an EV conversion of Hafei Saibao III. I wouldn't bet on its quality as it really is just a standard Chinese car.
    Last edited by WarpedOne; 2007-08-11 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Added link
    I believe in Tesla as a concept, a brand, and a suite of products. No matter who conceived, started, runs, or maintains, I hope it ultimately prevails and lasts.
    -- TEG

Thread Information