Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coda Automotive (formerly Miles Automotive Group)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone seen this company site before?

http://www.milesautomotive.com/showroom_xs200.php

They already have two models available, top speed only 25mph, "runtime" of 200 minutes. But they do plan on releasing other vehicles:

Javlon Electric Motor Coporation, Ltd., a proud division of Miles Automotive Group, Ltd. is continuing the development of advanced high speed all electric vehicles which will have speeds of 80 mph. They will meet all National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and EU standards and will have ranges in excess of 150 miles on a single charge. It is anticipated that these high speed vehicles will become available for sale by the end of 2008.

Possible WhiteStar challenger - Javlon XS500. Is it real?

This seems more like a stick shift than an EV.  At the very least, it does not appear to be an EV built from the ground up.
The undercarriage photo may even show a catalytic converter.  Personally, it does not do much for me – too ICE looking.  However, it is not a "punishment" car!

4-door, 5-passenger sedan
85 MPH top speed
150 mile range
25 kWh, 80 Ah lithium-ion batteries
6-hour charge time
$30,000 base price

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/0...-is-the-miles-javlon-30-000-all-electric-sed/

Re: Possible WhiteStar challenger - Javlon XS500. Is it real?

doug said:
I was just about to post on this, but you beat me to it.  Nothing about it says EV to me.  Too bad there's no photo showing what's under the hood.

If you listen to the interview, they said it's not a functioning EV, it's just a shell to show potential dealers what the finished car will look like.  So I assume it's something they are already building in China as a gasoline-powered car.  (Similar to Zap going around showing the Lotus APX to dealers and telling them it's what the ZAP-X will look like.) Here's what I already posted on ABG:

It sounds to me like a good addition to the marketplace. A couple of things were said in the interview that I found questionable. The suggestion that a fast charging system would heat and degrade the batteries implies to me that it lacks the sort of cooling system that Tesla have built into their battery pack. The suggestion that regenerative braking might not improve the range, or that it might result in a bad driving experience, seemed based in ignorance.

It should be easily apparent that this is a conversion from an existing gasoline-powered design (much like the Phoenix SUT & SUV).

The limited range and speed, the mundane appearance, and (let's be honest) the fact that it's made in China are all negatives on a $30,000 car. It might get traction if gas prices go higher (which doesn't seem unlikely) or if electric cars suddenly become fashionable (which could happen, but this car won't be what makes it happen).

MP3 audio on Auto Blog Green indicates the vehicle is based on a Miles chasis shown in the photos.  Perhaps they will remove ICE components and retrofit the EV motor and batteries.   The vehicle will be made in China.

Using Tesla as the model company, then there'd have to be validation prototypes at present, right? I'll bet we see some big releases shortly--or maybe I'm hopeful. That's a price I'd be happy to pay, and a release date in 2008 beats everyone in the sedan department.

Miles Javlon

This one crept up on us...Miles is likely to have their prototype in the states by September, '07

http://news.com.com/In+electric+car+stakes,+its+Miles+to+go/2100-11389_3-6201822.html

That could be some serious competition for Tesla, especially for an EV for $30,000. Even if it's made in China. You have to figure most of the components of the Roadster are foreign-manufactured as well. Let's hope one doesn't spontaneously combust

Hmm...I wonder how the average American will feel about driving a Chinese car. I'm not saying they have a problem with China but even if this car is greatly engineered will people be able to get over the whole "China makes cheap thing" notion. The price seems a little high, especially when it will have to compete with the bluestar. To me the whitestar, although much more expensive, may end up being better value.

Miles Automotive Photoshop Wizardry

Their nifty new website, www.milesev.com, has a nice gallery of the XS500. The problem was, when it was first deployed, I caught them showing not a XS500 "Javlon" at all... but rather a rebadged Hafei Saibao.

I have both the original and Photoshopped photos here for your viewing pleasure :)

Note the clutch pedal. Given the plain flat coloring where the stick is supposed to be, my guess is they at least remembered to remove that the first time.
XS500_Clutch_Pedal.jpg

The clutch pedal disappeared! You can still see a piece of it at the bottom-right of the steering wheel, though.
XS500_Clutch_Pedal_Photoshop.jpg

Miles Automotive XS500 "Javlon", featuring a rusty old tailpipe:
XS500_Tail_Pipe.jpg

Tail-pipe (and a small part of the bumper) removed:
XS500_Tail_Pipe_Photoshop.jpg

So, while I'm as excited about the possibilities of an affordable electric sedan as anyone, this behavior by Miles isn't all that encouraging.

-Ryan

I would not be that concerned. If the car is basically the same then it's a whole lot easier to spend 30 minutes of PS time than it is dragging a photo-perfect car to a studio and spending a day lighting and shooting a nearly identical vehicle.

Simple cost savings going on.

Miles Javlon Prototypes Complete

I've been waiting to hear about the protoypes and it sounds like they'll be in the U.S. in a couple of months:

New York Mayor Bloomberg test drives Miles Automotive's Javlon in China
Posted Dec 19th 2007 7:26PM by Lascelles Linton
Filed under: EV/Plug-in, Miles Automotive, China

According to CNET, the first prototypes of Miles Automotive's Javlon have come off the production line in China and New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg got a chance to test drive one of them. CNET also reports the prototypes will come to the states in a few months, the Javlon will cost $35,000 and come out early 2009. Here is Bloomberg talking about Javlon before taking the test drive:

After my remarks, I look forward to going outside and seeing some of the latest-model battery-powered all-electric cars that an American company-Miles Automotive Group-is developing in partnership with the Chinese Automotive Technical and Research Center or 'CAT-ARC,' the Chinese Electronic Technology Group Corporation, Lishen Battery Company, and the city of Tianjin.

I will be joined by the chair of Miles Automotive Group, Miles Rubin, and its chief operating officer, Kevin Kiley. As well as by their Chinese partners: Zhao Hang, director of CATARC; Wang Xi Wen, vice-superintendent of Chinese Electronic Technology Group Corporation; Qin Xing Cai, general manager of Lishen Battery; Liang Rui, deputy general manager at Lishen Battery; and Wu Zhi Qin, general manager of Tianjin Qingyuan Electric Vehicle Company.

Assembled here in China, the cars they are making can be marketed to drivers in both our nations, and in South America and the European Union, too. The result is a marriage of U.S. and Chinese technology that is taking us forward-toward 100 percent electric-powered vehicles that drastically reduce air pollutants, cut carbon emissions, and are less expensive to operate

New York Mayor Bloomberg test drives Miles Automotive's Javlon in China - AutoblogGreen

If the quality is adequate, and Chinese labor costs stay down, Tesla will have a hard time competing with something like this. (At least for the "Bluestar" idea). Whitestar may be sufficiently more upscale to have a market to itself.

If the quality is adequate, and Chinese labor costs stay down, Tesla will have a hard time competing with something like this. (At least for the "Bluestar" idea). Whitestar may be sufficiently more upscale to have a market to itself.

Agreed. And if there's one thing the Chinese know how to do, it's quick production. This thing could blow right by GM, Tesla, Phoenix, and everyone else hoping to get in the game around 2009-10; assuming they don't use lead paint and it passes safey guidelines. If Miles gets the marketing right, lookout. Bloomberg is a good start.

The guy at the Miles booth told me that range is only about 120 miles. Good enough for a lot of people, but personally I wouldn't buy it unless it was somewhere over 150. Around 200 would be a nice figure.

Of course, batteries keep getting better, so in a few years, even the Miles could be a lot more.

They could very well sell a lot of these Miles Javlons.

I think this is it folks, electric cars are back, and this time they are here to stay. No looking back, the future is electric!

One thing I've noticed over the past year is how the Javlon's price has been creeping up. First it was under $30,000, then it was $31,000, now it's $35,000. I imagine that there's some cost surprises going on, but the declining value of the dollar may also be having an effect on an imported product like this. I wonder what it'll cost when it finally goes on sale.

I still have some doubts as to whether it'll actually enter production. The Javlon is based of the Chinese Hafei Saibao, a gasoline car for the Chinese market. Building an electric car for the U.S. market is a very different thing.

-Ryan