Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has anyone gotten an aux video/audio input into the display?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone successfully put an auxiliary input on the the display? Dvd player, bluray player, ps3, additional cameras?

With the rear view camera, there's obviously a video input going into the display, I wonder if there would be a way to split and splice into it.

This would also solve my no-cd-player issue.

Also, has anyone been ballsy enough to tinker with the display? anyone have pictures of what's back there and the inputs, etc back there?

I've done plenty of successful tinkering on my old cars and usually have no problem taking apart and putting back together the dash components, but this car is obviously a whole new ballgame.

I have been wondering about this as well. Regardless of the physical interface, it would be nice to have a way to use the display or parts of the display for external devices. Like a radar detector status for example. Perhaps that is the wrong question - is there a developer's guide?

Any glaring reason why this one wouldn't work?

Amazon.com: Mpow® Portable Bluetooth 3.0 Audio Music Streaming Receiver Adapter with Hands Free Calling and 3.5 Mm Stereo Output: MP3 Players Accessories

I'll probably buy it and try it out (and return it if it doesn't), but is there something specific I should be looking for?

edit: I'm gonna go ahead and buy and let y'all know if it works ;)

That won't work because it's a receiver (used for adding bluetooth to cars without bluetooth). You need a bluetooth transmitter :)

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I'll eventually be looking to do this as well. I have a weekly 2 hour drive and it's perfect for listening to a movie. With my Volt, I just pop the DVD disc into the car's DVD slot and I'm good. With a Model S, I should be able to bring along a portable DVD player, link it to a compatible bluetooth transmitter, and get it to play out of the car's speakers. Not nearly as neat, but hopefully it should work. I hope future Tesla's will at least have an aux in audio port, as that would make it a little less clunky.

> listening to a movie [Skotty]

Rip the audio using Audacity as flac/mp3 onto a flash drive at home desktop. Then just play thru usb port as you drive (there is an audio input selection for doing this, right??).
--

Update: Tried the Amazon.com: TaoTronics® TT-BA01 Wireless Portable Bluetooth Stereo Music Transmitter (Not A Bluetooth Receiver) for 3.5mm Audio Devices (iPod, MP3/MP4, TV, Kindle Fire, Media Players...) + 3.5mm Female to 2 RCA Male Cable: Electronics and it did not work. The Model S was unable to pair with it in discovery mode. This may be because the device is Bluetooth v2.1 and the Model S uses 3.0. I heard from someone the newer Model S might even use 4.0. Anyone know?

I would think that Bluetooth would be back-compatible tho...

Anyway, so my next step is to double check that the device actually works by attempting to pair it with some other things, and then maybe returning this thing and trying something else. Amazon doesn't have a lot of options tho...

I'm wondering if the solution may eventually end up involving my smartphone as the middle-man between a device and the car.

The Model S was unable to pair with it in discovery mode.

Well that's really disappointing to hear, I was planning on buying one of those so I could use my favorite MP3 player in the car. In fact I had it in my Amazon shopping cart.

Please let us know if you get it to work with anything else, maybe, you just got a dead one?

Just successfully paired it with my Jambox and it works really well actually. I'm probably going to keep the thing after all and use it for other purposes. lol

I'm still not sure why it didn't work with the Tesla - perhaps a call to the Service Center might be helpful.

Additionally, I just now chose to update from 5.12 to 6.0 so I'll try it again once that install completes.

No camera other than the Tesla camera will work with the 17 inch touchscreen. That is why artsci's camera switch requires a Tesla camera for the front of the car. The touchscreen does not communicate with any other camera.