Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Signature begins delivery in early 2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of curiosity I clicked the "Upgrade" button on my Model X reservation and got this screen which clearly states "Model X Signature begins delivery in early 2014." Was this just never updated, or is there some news here?

Untitled.png

UPDATE 6/4/2013: Ok, it must be an old remnant that needs revising. At the 2013 Shareholders meeting they clearly said "Late 2014" on the Model X slide. Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up, mine included. :)

Last edited:
Wow. That would be news. I've seen a few small relics around the website that should be updated, but if that's a relic, it's a big one. Went to that page exactly once, briefly. Wish now I had paid better attention. ML

IIRC, it did say that, because production was to begin in late 2013 with significant deliveries beginning early 2014. I always assumed that meant a few token cars (perhaps Founders cars) in December of 2013.

Certainly contrary to every Elon interview I have seen or listened to in the past couple of months.
He has consistently said late 2014 for initial Model X deliveries. My guess is the site won't display this for long
but hope I'm wrong.

Don't get too excited... I'd bet 100:1 odds that this is simply a relic, a web page that didn't get updated when the production schedule for Model X was pushed back. All available data points to a few cars delivered in late 2014, with major deliveries starting in early 2015.

As it is the Sig X page, it's specific to that. So how long would it take to build & deliver the entire Sig reservation order? At some point before the end of the Sig run, regular production Xs would be on the assembly line, getting built & out the door. That would be sooner by at least several months than has been recently stated (changed to be later -about 2 days after my license plates arrived :eek:). Would like to be proven wrong, but I figure it's a mistake.

so here's my plan: when Bonnie gets hers, I'll know it's time to start thinking about cleaning out the garage! Don't keep it a secret Bonnie :smile: !

As it is the Sig X page, it's specific to that. So how long would it take to build & deliver the entire Sig reservation order? At some point before the end of the Sig run, regular production Xs would be on the assembly line, getting built & out the door. That would be sooner by at least several months than has been recently stated (changed to be later -about 2 days after my license plates arrived :eek:). Would like to be proven wrong, but I figure it's a mistake.

so here's my plan: when Bonnie gets hers, I'll know it's time to start thinking about cleaning out the garage! Don't keep it a secret Bonnie :smile: !

It won't be a secret :). In fact, I'll pick it up at the factory and then invite anyone who wants to see it up close to meet me over at City Beach across the road. (You'll all buy me lunch for that, right? RIGHT?) I expect that pictures will be posted by many of you that I'll look at later and say, 'Hey! I didn't know my X had that feature!'.

- - - Updated - - -

fyi, my garage is ready.

Bonnie: There ought to be a crowd. If there is a way I can be there, I will be! Lunch is a big YES! But when? Shall we say - - - early 2014 ??

Nigel: I'm hoping to drive mine home too. We'll see. Not quite as far yours, but would be a thrill!

Last edited:
Ok, it must be an old remnant that needs revising. At the 2013 Shareholders meeting today they clearly said "Late 2014" on the Model X slide. Sorry if I got anyone's hopes up, mine included. I'll update my original post. Nothing to see here, move along...

I just visited the Tesla factory in Fremont and saw some very, very happy customers getting their new Model S cars. Unfortunately for us Model X customers I was informed by one Tesla person that Model X deliveries look like they will slip into 2015 at the earliest for Signature orders and Production X
orders are looking at the 3rd quarter of 2015. Not very happy to hear that I can tell you.

A few comments on that:
First of all thanks for the report, we're eager for whatever news we can get.
Second, Bummer. I posted yesterday that today is the 5,681st day I've owned my "current" car! Tesla's efforts should allow me to never need to buy another ice car ever again, but 2+ more years seems like a stretch for the ol' Dodge.
Third it is my sincere hope that even more delay will result in an even better vehicle. Design, interior refinements, UI, performance, ideas that haven't even been thought of yet (tho that one might be too much to expect) could all potentially be improved on a brand new vehicle given more time. And what about battery tech? At Teslive Elon said he expected battery revamp/upgrade to happen about every 5 years. Depending on when you start the clock, that would put a Model X release 2 yrs from now just a year or so before a whole new battery is ready. I'd sure like that new & improved battery in my Model X if it's near release-ready.

anyway, all that said, it was also at Teslive someone told me that Tesla Motors, for lots of reasons, does things when they have too. Not a lot of excess capacity there right now. At one time they "had to" get production up to 400/week so they did. This summer they "had to " get the European roll out done, so they are doing that. When they "have to" get ready to crank out thousands of Model Xs, then that will happen too. (& you can put "have to" install SuperCharger network in there somewhere soon too!)

lastly, I was looking at TM website photos of the Model X debut. That is one Great Looking Car! (even better w the wings down)
ML

I just visited the Tesla factory in Fremont and saw some very, very happy customers getting their new Model S cars. Unfortunately for us Model X customers I was informed by one Tesla person that Model X deliveries look like they will slip into 2015 at the earliest for Signature orders and Production X
orders are looking at the 3rd quarter of 2015. Not very happy to hear that I can tell you.

Just keep thinking "about 2 years", and stick with that mentally. Until Tesla starts talking about Model X with some detail, delivery dates, features, test drive events, Signature holders getting the notice to configure, it's "about 2 years" :)

MikeL you made very good and valid points regards the impact of any delay. I think the vehicle will just be better and we will have a much stronger supercharger network established. That has already started with two new Supercharger stations on either side of Florida. I also agree they are going full bore with getting production up for domestic and overseas customers. Even though I hate to think how long it could be for the X I am still firmly committed to getting the X. As the guy says "stay hungry for the X or was that thirsty for the X?
" :)