Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experiences with Water-less Washes.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious if others are using similar products and what your experiences have been.

I tried Griot's Garage water-less wash today. I typically foam and water wash, but I didn't have much time this weekend. The car was lightly soiled with pollen and some dust -- nothing major except around the trim and wheel wells, which I was basically leaving alone anyway. Since the Model S's paint seems to be fairly soft, I was sure to use a good amount of coverage of the spray. I also used 6 very nice 600 g/m2 microfiber clothes to spread the wash and the clean side to wipe clean. I basically used 1 towel per panel. After I did the wash, I inspected the paint with a swirl finder. To my dismay, I found some new swirls and a new scratch.

This leads me to believe that 1) the car was just too dirty for the water-less wash, 2) I did not spread the spray enough to provide adequate coverage, 3) I should have changed towels more frequently, or 4) the paint just is that sensitive. Of course, none are mutually exclusive.

Anyway, I waxed with with Pinnacle Souveran using my DA polisher, and it looks fine. But, damn. Maybe I just need more experience with these sprays? This is going to be my go to product come winter.

Assume you have a black car. It will show every tiny swirl and scratch. Never use waterless on a black car. Much less any other car. I use Car wash soap with wool hit after a rinse. Then rinse with filtered water and dry with shammy or equivalent.

Assume you have a black car. It will show every tiny swirl and scratch. Never use waterless on a black car. Much less any other car. I use Car wash soap with wool hit after a rinse. Then rinse with filtered water and dry with shammy or equivalent.

I have a blue car. This has really soured my experience with this.

Try Optimum No Rinse which works on a similar premise. I've been using it faithfully and it seems to work very well.

*Disclaimer: I don't own a "swirl finder". ??

I'm familiar with ONR...just never tried these things. I'll look into it further. Swirl finder = high powered LED or Xenon light cannon.

Last edited:
Preface, I do have Optimum's OptiCoat on my blue S.

I sometimes do a waterless wash, but it's usually a mid-week (2-3 days) after my regular wash. If it's gone a whole week, I'll do a rinseless (ONR with Wax) wash. I use Ultima's Waterless Wash Plus+ concentrate and DAMP microfiber towels. I'll pre-wet my towels to allow it to pick up the dirt easier without dry scratching. I'll do a spray, wipe with damp MF towel, lightly spray again and then use a dry MF towel to dry and pick up any remaining dirt.

For the rear hatch, I always rinse off with a hose for a few seconds, it just gets so much dirt there that a quick rinse gets a lot off. In the winter, even a bucket of warm water and sponge rinse on back of the model S should help release a bulk of the dirt.

I've used Optimum Opti Clean, their waterless wash product several times now and have been happy with the results. It's like a quick detailing spray on steroids. I'm a long time (8 years) user of their rinseless wash product, Optimum No Rinse. I use that when the car is really dirty and it's too cold out for a wash in the driveway.

I just ordered more of the Opti Clean. Autogeek has the concentrate on sale right now for buy 1 get 1 free. It's a 3 to 1 delusion, so while you use a bunch for a "wash" that amount will go a long way.
Optimum Opti Clean Concentrate, Opticlean cleaner protectant, Optimum all purpose cleaner protectant

Here's a nice rundown on a bunch of waterless wash products:
(A) Wisdom of Waterless - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum

Last edited:
Just curious if others are using similar products and what your experiences have been.
I tried Griot's Garage water-less wash today.

I assume you mean this? I've been using it in the garage and really like it. Admittedly, I'm lazy and am willing to "not see" some swirls or have them taken care of at semi annual detailing. It might just be personal tolerance but I really think my (blue) car looks great.

Has anyone used Griots Speed Shine? I've been using Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer and really like it. Just wondering if the Griots Speed Shine could be even better?

I'm obsessive about swirls. Otherwise, I don't think I'd care about the potential damage caused by GG Spray On Car Wash. I'm not talking about massive swirling...just a few new ones noticed. The car looked fine after a good sealant/wax combo.

I've gone through gallons of Speed Shine. I use it as a quick detailer and as a clay lubricant. I've noticed that if you don't buff it quickly, it will leave streaks. Not a big deal -- they buff out fine with a nice MF cloth. I can't say whether anything is better; it works just fine for me. I haven't tried others. I'm always game for trying. I've read good things about the QDs from Wolfgang, Pinnacle and DP.

Like I said: I use it constantly and have a small bottle in my frunk along with quick detailing items.

Sent via Tapatalk.

Personally, I don'y have the "guts" to try a waterless wash on my car. I do as you do and use a good quality car wash soap and water. As careful as I am, I do see some swirls in the paint and can only conclude that Tesla's paint is very soft/prone to scratching.

I use Optimum no rinse and OptiSeal. Best stuff ever. Had always used car soap and water, and here in Texas our water is pretty hard. I noticed swirls using car soap and water after just a couple of washes with the MS. After detailing guy polished them out, he told me to use Optimum No Rinse and, although initially quite skeptical and nervous, have been extremely happy. It uses 2 gallons of water (I use the 2 bucket approach, getting the dirt off the rag in the first bucket.) Follow that with a wipedown of Optiseal, and the car looks brand new. Have not had a single swirl since - I have signature red, and its fairly dark, making any swirls noticeable.

I decided to buy/try a waterless car wash product. I've always washed "by hand" at a car wash but the brush still leaves swirls on my black paint. I decided that since I already have some swirls, I would try this waterless product. After reading reviews I felt somewhat comfortable but still skeptical. I am a believer now and a full "convert". The wash is easy, produces beautiful results, and I don't find it does any damage to my paint at all.

Today I took a short road trip and encountered snow/sleet and the car got quite dirty so I thought I would experiment (after @Footbag asked how dirty the car can be for this stuff to work). Here's the answer... your car CAN be very dirty and this still works but you go through more product and cloths. Also next time I would give the car a rinse first to get the heavy sand off. Here are some before/after photos (sorry for the strange rotations... iPhone upload):

Attachments

• IMG_1377.JPG
    IMG_1377.JPG
    382.4 KB · Views: 740
  • IMG_1379.JPG
    IMG_1379.JPG
    298 KB · Views: 708
  • IMG_1382.JPG
    IMG_1382.JPG
    283.2 KB · Views: 688
  • IMG_1393.JPG
    IMG_1393.JPG
    228.3 KB · Views: 699
  • IMG_1396.JPG
    IMG_1396.JPG
    318.2 KB · Views: 704
  • IMG_1401.JPG
    IMG_1401.JPG
    274.4 KB · Views: 695
  • IMG_1403.JPG
    IMG_1403.JPG
    247.2 KB · Views: 711
I've never done the waterless stuff. I can't see rubbing all that dirt into the paint! Just seems bad to me. I have no problem driving a dirty car IF I didn't have the time to PROPERLY wash it. Not saying anyone isn't doing a good job with the waterless stuff, and everyone has their own opinions. Mine is simply that I drive it until I get time to wash it with water and get the BIG dirt off the car before rubbing it in to the paint.

For the past year I've been using this for when my car is moderately dirty Amazon.com: Chemical Guys WAC707RU EcoSmart-RU Ready to Use Waterless Car Wash and Wax - 1 gal.: Automotive

And this when it's just dusty Amazon.com: Meguiars D15601 Synthetic X-Press Spray Wax - 1 Gallon: Automotive

Both seem to work well and cannot see any scratches developing in the paint. Of course my car is silver, which hides fine scratches and my black roof is covered with a protective film. And I live in a mild climate so my car doesn't get coated with grime like cars do where it snows.

I started doing this to use less water. The multi-year drought in California shows no sign of abating. But I find a "waterless" wash takes less time than a traditional wash and the car looks just as good.

I've never done the waterless stuff. I can't see rubbing all that dirt into the paint! Just seems bad to me. I have no problem driving a dirty car IF I didn't have the time to PROPERLY wash it. Not saying anyone isn't doing a good job with the waterless stuff, and everyone has their own opinions. Mine is simply that I drive it until I get time to wash it with water and get the BIG dirt off the car before rubbing it in to the paint.

Remarkably, they don't. The waterless products contain significant amounts of lubricants and emulsafiers, which dissolve the dirt and lift it off the paint. The solution then gets sucked up into your towel, pulling the dirt away from the surface. Anything left is slick from the lubricants and won't scratch the paint. Not unlike what soap does, just no soapy residue that requires rinsing.

They really do work, and work well. Folks over at autopia.org, a car detailing forum, highly recommend them. And if you thought _this_ was an obsessive forum, you've not seen anything yet compared to autopia!

Have not done the full waterless route, but do use Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax with great results (have an MC Red S85 with Opti-Coat). I use multiple microfiber cloths so I am always washing with a clean and can do the complete car with 2 gal of water and about 5 MF cloths for the chassis and other 4-6 for the wheels (I have large dedicated cloths for the body and smaller ones dedicated for the wheels).