Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost Effective Option for Dashcam and Rear Jump Seat Camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scheduled for my radar detector/laser jammer install next weekend-will follow artsci's lead and mount all the brains and switches in the cubby woth a custom template. ordered the following mirror from China for $180.

http://www.chinavasion.com/china/wh...in_5_Inch_Monitor_-_Bluetooth_720p_recording/

Just received yesterday. Pics below. Quality is good. The mirror is solid as a clamp-on with no shake. Plan on putting a circular Tesla sticker on the back of the dashcam head for cosmetic purposes. Although the Tesla mirror is stylish, this gives a larger viewing area of sideview and back seat. Most importantly, it allows my a combined HD dashcam option and rear seat monitor. Youtube video attached. Will put a switch for the mirror monitor in the cubby faceplate. Will incorporate the install of this next week when we do the rear jammers. Install seems straightforward, noninvasive, and fully reversible. Not as slick as the more expensive Dashcam options but not bad for less than $200. Thought and comments welcome!

20130531_155516.jpg
20130531_161518.jpg
20130531_161613.jpg
20130531_161629.jpg
20130531_183818.jpg
20130601_141509.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
-------------Most importantly, it allows my a combined HD dashcam option and rear seat monitor. Youtube video attached. Will put a switch for the mirror monitor in the cubby faceplate. Will incorporate the install of this next week when we do the rear jammers. Install seems straightforward, noninvasive, and fully reversible. Not as slick as the more expensive Dashcam options but not bad for less than $200. Thought and comments welcome!

Does it interfere with your visors?

That's a nice camera as well but I opted for the larger image display (5"). You can tap into an auxillary wire (I think it is yellow but search the radar detector install forums) in the driver side kick panel. I have a 6 lead junction box tapped to this wire and placed behind the cubby/center display with 2 open leads for additional accessories. Much easier for future installs. Hope that helps-good luck!