Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking Sensor Prototype/Early Look

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ryanjm

Tesla Podcast Host
Oct 10, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I was at Tesla HQ in Palo Alto today returning my P85 test car (I'll be doing a review for the Tech channel of the website I work for -- and P.S. Photographs simply do not do the multi-coat red justice. It is STUNNING in person, namely when it is out in the sunshine!), and spotted this Sig red parked in the front row where all the company cars go. It's certainly possible that this is an employee's personal car that he/she has had fitted with custom aftermarket parking sensors, but more likely than not this is a company car with a prototype or test version of the parking sensors before they roll out to production models. I snapped a couple of quick pics figuring you guys would be interested.

parkingsensorfront.JPG

parkingsensorrear.JPG

P.S. Mods, I wasn't sure if this thread was better placed here, but since it's just photos of the cosmetic look of the parking sensors I chose this forum. Feel free to move it if you prefer.

I posted these before. These are my aftermarket sensors - Sound Innovations in Hayward, CA did a much better match with the paint. You can almost not see the second front sensor which is in the black - it is in a straight line down from the hood line.
Tesla Parking Sensor Front.JPG
Tesla Parking Sensor Back.JPG

It may be asking too much and I'll take those rather than no parking sensors at all any day, but I fully expect Tesla's production version of their parking sensors to be completely invisible under the skin of the car.

I agree with those that say you don't need parking sensors.

I watched my girlfriend parallel park her Honda CR-V into a tiny space last night. No sensors, no rear cam and she did it with 2 moves (backing in, centering car in the spot). 2 feet on either end. 6" from curb that she never touched. No spotting or help from anyone else. She's a keeper! Now I feel like a sissie using my side view mirror and backup cam.

I was at Tesla HQ in Palo Alto today returning my P85 test car (I'll be doing a review for the Tech channel of the website I work for -- and P.S. Photographs simply do not do the multi-coat red justice. It is STUNNING in person, namely when it is out in the sunshine!), and spotted this Sig red parked in the front row where all the company cars go. It's certainly possible that this is an employee's personal car that he/she has had fitted with custom aftermarket parking sensors, but more likely than not this is a company car with a prototype or test version of the parking sensors before they roll out to production models. I snapped a couple of quick pics figuring you guys would be interested.

The first row is where the charging stations are and used by anyone who needs to charge. I've parked my Roadster next to Elon's on more than one occasion (and I'm def not an employee). The employee lot is the next lot over.

My point being that it might be a Tesla-owned car with experimental mods, or it's equally likely that it is a visitor to hq who parked in front.