Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New CO fees for EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if Tesla owners are really participating in this. What happens to out of state electric vehicles? If I visit CO from out of state and need to charge and I do not have one of these stickers am I likely to be ticketed? With all of these different state implementations, what happens for interstate travel? Do I have to pay CO to visit? That seems like a constitutional problem.

You want fairness? Tax trucks at a level that would be consistent with the relative amount of damage they do to highway infrastructure. They would pay 1000X more than cars.

That's an oversimplification. There are two cost elements: volume and use. Volume pays for having enough road to handle traffic volume and weathering, the other is based on the pounding the roads take. I have no idea how the costs should be divided into the two, but I wish they were.

I have no problem paying a fee to upkeep roads, and love the allocation for improving charging infrastructure. But I hate having stickers and crap on my car. I'm going to keep it in the frunk w my front license plate until I get a ticket.

Last edited:
Wow, I don't think it applies to out of state visitors since it will be billed to the owner of record in CO. I hope CA doesn't try that, I already paid $673.00 :eek: for vehicle registration. It might go down $30 bucks next year, I think that pays for my infrastructure contribution.

This seems like a reasonable approach.

I do hate when ICE drivers complain that EVs are not paying their share of road taxes. ICE cars do even come close to paying their fare share of the detrimental effects on health and global climate change due to the emissions produced.

Yeah, except that only means EVERYONE pays more for EVERYTHING shipped on those trucks. You don't actually think trucking companies will pay, do you?

Rail transport would be far more efficient; instead there are enormous hidden subsidies like these for the trucking industry. Without those subsidies biasing the market we might have a much more extensive and efficiently run railroad system.

I have no problem with jets and trucks for things that need to be delivered overnight... but people should pay the real costs.