Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Location Requests

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a process to suggest / request Supercharger locations?

I'm sure if there was that Tesla would be inundated with people asking for locations, but perhaps they would fine the info useful.

Personally, I was somewhat disappointed not to see a location between Cincinnati and Indianapolis, and Cincinnati and Columbus on the roadmap. My specific use-case is that these are cities I need to travel to and back on the same day on a weekly basis and it is JUST out of range of my P85. It is really annoying not to be able to make these day trips in my new car, and I was hoping for a Supercharger along those routes at some point. It's gonna stink if that never happens.

- Dave

I went ahead and submitted one anyway -- just picked "other" and in business name I put "Model S owner" (cheating by a couple days -- delivery isn't until Wed...)

The request was for one in Flagstaff, AZ -- which is conspicuously absent from the new map (even in 2015...). It makes a bunch of sense for multiple reasons:
  • There is a nearly 6,000 foot elevation increase from Phoenix to Flagstaff. Combined with summer temps over 105 in Phoenix (dropping to ~90 by Flagstaff -- but well over 100 for 2/3 of the trip), that puts Flagstaff near the edge of a 60 kWh range -- even though its only ~140 miles away...
  • Flagstaff is ~140 miles east of Kingman, where the map does show a SC spot -- so Flagstaff opens up E-W traffic on I-40. Flagstaff is also ~4,000 feet higher than Kingman, so east-bound traffic will also have to deal with elevation range loss.
  • Flagstaff is ~78 miles to the Grand Canyon -- so a SC in Flagstaff opens up a major National Park. There's also skiing in Flagstaff and the cooler summer temps make it a great place for us Phoenicians to go to get a bit of relief from the summer heat...

I wonder if Flagstaff's dot is not just misplaced. There is a dot in the Sitgreaves National Forest between Payson & Show Low and that seems incongruous with the surrounding dots.

Possible. There's not much between Payson and Show Low -- other than the Mogollon Rim, which is a ~2000 ft climb. The town by the dot is called Heber, but its very small -- although it would be nearly ideal heading out of Phoenix to eastern AZ -- its ~140 miles from my house and 4,000 feet higher...

The other odd thing in AZ is the I-8 corridor from El Centro, CA to Casa Grande, AZ -- where they show 4 dots over 240 miles. Its almost like they took a bunch of different starting points -- San Diego, Tucson, and Phoenix and decided they needed SC's x miles from the start point...

Don't put too much weight on the particular location a dot. The original map showed a supercharger in Connecticut somewhere 50 or 60 miles east of New Haven. In the end, they installed chargers a little bit west of New Haven. It is worthwhile, however, letting Tesla know where their prospective sites differ from where you, as real-life drivers, need them to be.

Elon noted that Gilroy is one of the two busiest. Why? The location is right on a major commute route. Instead of owners charging at home they stop and top-off thus clogging the site for travelers. That defeats the whole purpose of superchargers to allow owners to travel unimpeded. Pulling in to Gilroy fully jammed with three or four waiting, most of whom live in the area is really frustrating when I'm on an LA to SF trip.

Elon noted that Gilroy is one of the two busiest. Why? The location is right on a major commute route. Instead of owners charging at home they stop and top-off thus clogging the site for travelers. That defeats the whole purpose of superchargers to allow owners to travel unimpeded. Pulling in to Gilroy fully jammed with three or four waiting, most of whom live in the area is really frustrating when I'm on an LA to SF trip.

They are adding more bays to Gilroy, just don't know when. I wasn't aware that it was a major problem other than on weekends. How many folks living in Gilroy own Teslas and use the SC before going to work every day?

I know it's a bit of a dark perspective but...

When people were worried about supercharging causing battery degradation, I'm pretty sure they didn't abuse them instead of charging at home.

They are adding more bays to Gilroy, just don't know when. I wasn't aware that it was a major problem other than on weekends. How many folks living in Gilroy own Teslas and use the SC before going to work every day?

I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't a fair amount commuting from Los Banos, Hollister, Salinas and the Monterey Peninsula. The MS is a great commuter car.

I do believe the problem is on weekends, not weekdays. Also, I don't know anybody who would willingly add even 15 minutes to their commute on a daily basis. The problem with Gilroy is people shopping at the outlet mall.

I do believe the problem is on weekends, not weekdays. Also, I don't know anybody who would willingly add even 15 minutes to their commute on a daily basis. The problem with Gilroy is people shopping at the outlet mall.

I stopped off at Gilroy on a Friday afternoon in late March and at one point there were six MS's there: Paso Robles road trip- our first multi-day EV experience so it's not just a weekend issue. I've made a total of six stops at Gilroy and I've noticed that a lot of people using the Gilroy superchargers are either on their way home from a factory pickup or were testing out supercharging prior to an actual road trip. If my anecdotal observations about much of the traffic coming from new owners are correct, a few more bays should fix the problem (at least until they add another shift at the factory and increase output).