Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michigan Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Aphysician

Member, Michigan Chapter
May 3, 2013
Metro Detroit, MI
Michigan Superchargers

Michigan will have 10 supercharger locations in the state, 11 if you include Toledo :wink: [For people unfamiliar to this matter, see Michigan-Ohio War]. Below is the link which overlays US map on Tesla's blank map to get some idea on where superchargers will be in Michigan. Below is the list of all locations where superchargers are expected. We will keep it updated as new locations open up. Update us with your experience at a supercharger and we will change the list accordingly.

Supercharger Overlay 2015 (Large - 5145 x 3308))
Tesla Supercharger network - Page 142
Tesla Supercharger network - Page 141

image.jpg

Last edited:
Michigan Superchargers

The list above has basic information, however to make supercharging a great experience we will need more information about the location. esp. food, things to do in nearby area, amenities etc. Please feel free to share your experience and update this wiki post for individual supercharger location.

St. Joseph Supercharger
- located in a small strip behind Moe's and Panera
- lighting is poor
- no facilities between 10:00 pm to 6:00 am
Amenities: Restrooms
Food:
(1) Moe's Southwest Grilll
(2) Panera Bread,
(3) Nye's Apple Barn(Summers only) - Across from the gas station on the other side of the highway is Nye's apple barn. It has all sorts of local fruit, lots of jams and pickles, cider and some baked goods. They have some big colorful structures in the front lawn. It sort of looks like they were designed to amuse kids (and maybe kids could climb on them but I would ask first). It has limited hours and closed for certain periods in the winter.
Things To Do: Riverview Park

Maumee Supercharger
:
- It is almost at the end of the Meijer parking lot.
- Meijer (24 hours) is little away from the supercharger, but these places are very close to it.
(1) Steak Express Sandwich
(2) Deet's BBQ
(3) Tropical Smoothies
(4) Sakura Sushi Express
(5) Chipotle

Last edited by a moderator:
looking at http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=295135

It seems like there should have been a supercharger in the middle of Ann arbor/Livonia/Detroit Area. The above map shows people owning a tesla in that area. Detroit would make more sense to me. If going to Canada charge at Detroit and then cross the border. People who have work in Detroit would benefit as well.

I am sure they have all the data and must have used it to decide where to put the stations, the zeemaps is just partial data.

I did not get the supercharger hardware. I guess i will get it when superchargers station comes to Jackson as I am in the Ann Arbor area. I've heard its $2500, to enable supercharging in the car after delivery.

@ Ohaq

I see just 9 days to go. Must be excited and getting crazy by now. Mine hasnt even started. I agree there should have been one at Ann Arbor/Livonia/Detroit area. Having 3 nearby locations in Jackson, Lansing and Battle Creek doesnt make sense. I have a theory about how Tesla decides supercharger locations (1) It has to be on frequently traveled route (2) It should be at an area where you would like to stop and take a nice break for an hour and not in middle of nowhere (3) Also a little further from major population center and not in the center of the town. Last option makes sense, as they would like to avoid hogging by local population. As Elon puts it supercharger is mainly for long road trips. Locals should just charge it at home, If locals start using it then there will be long wait times at the station as people will just plug it, be gone and wait at home. However I seriously doubt who would go to those lengths to save 3 $. People who buy model S are busy people, and not likely to engage in such behavior. So I agree leaving Detroit was surprising, in fact that was the only location I was sure of.

You will not need any new hardware. All model S now ship with the hardware, It just requires activation of 2500 $. You may end up buying that right away, as all signs point that Jackson will be the first supercharger. Good thing it is only 500 $ more expensive to activate after delivery. Twin charger is another matter, 1500 $ if you get it before, but 3500 $ for a retrofit. I am now debating, whether to go for 60 kWh or pay 10 K more for 80 kWh, as it will have free supercharging. It seems Michigan is getting a lot of supercharger locations, I did not think that was going to be the case.

It seems like there should have been a supercharger in the middle of Ann arbor/Livonia/Detroit Area. The above map shows people owning a tesla in that area. Detroit would make more sense to me. If going to Canada charge at Detroit and then cross the border. People who have work in Detroit would benefit as well.

Remember, the Superchargers are intended to expand electric driving range, not give you a fast charge on the way home from work. There's no reason to put one in metro Detroit because there is a concentration of drivers here. You are supposed to charge at home. The planned locations make perfect sense, since you'll be able to travel east to Toronto, west to Chicago, or up north by this fall. They're also building a network for Chicago-area drivers to get to northern Michigan along the western shore.

I was shocked to see Tesla building out Michigan so soon, but glad they see this as a strong market. It's going to be tough waiting for Gen III!

@ timf

Well said. I agree that is the case here. I was also surprised to see this heavy deployment in Michigan. I was hoping for 4 supercharger at most, as in every other midwest state, and we got 10-11. They now need a store and service station, which could save bucks on ranger service.

It seems I missed you while discussing Michigan Tesla Group, please see the links below for a group on TMC and Facebook page. These have been started by wmgill. Join if you are interested. I was also aiming for Gen III, but 3 years is a long wait. I am going out on a limb and then some for Model S. See you soon.

Last edited:
I see just 9 days to go. Must be excited and getting crazy by now.

I was going crazy since i finalized the order. Then I was checking online every day couple of times for the VIN, then the app, then the delivery window, then the exact day. When i got the exact day june 10 then all the excitement was gone for a week. Now the excitement is back. Hoping that i will get the car before June 10 as they said that i will get the car no later than june 10.

I will get the car registration on June3rd. Already got the temporary registration which was used to get the DTE incentive, June 5th getting wiring done for the NEMA plug.

Remember, the Superchargers are intended to expand electric driving range, not give you a fast charge on the way home from work. There's no reason to put one in metro Detroit because there is a concentration of drivers here. You are supposed to charge at home. The planned locations make perfect sense, since you'll be able to travel east to Toronto, west to Chicago, or up north by this fall. They're also building a network for Chicago-area drivers to get to northern Michigan along the western shore.
I was shocked to see Tesla building out Michigan so soon, but glad they see this as a strong market. It's going to be tough waiting for Gen III!

I was also shocked to see that many superchargers. Sometimes you need a quick charge with the 60kwh battery, when your work involves going multiple places and to avoid range anxiety. Detroit would have been a place where i could take my friends and show them the supercharger, I guess need to go to jackson.

I wish they also had normal NEMA 50amp plugs on the charging stations, but that would mean that more parking spots are needed.

Cant wait for my car, I had told my DS that getting the plug installed on June 5th would be great if i get the car on June 5th. The car was scheduled to be delivered in ohio service center on May 30th so hoping to see tesla on my drive way on June 5th......

Michigan Electric Vehicle Rate and DTE Energy $2,500 incentive

Get Plug-In Ready

I am just getting the NEMA 50amp plug and for that the cost of wiring panel etc was 1700 (my garage and panel are pretty far away), so i wont have to pay anything from pocket. They also have level 1,2 chargers which cost another 1000-2000. I dont know if they would cover the HPWC, but they might.

Once the wiring is done which will be june 5th then DTE will install a separate meter that should only be used for EV. Basically charge at night and weekends and only pay 7 cents/kwh.

Rates
On-Peak**
9:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.
Mon - Fri
$0.18195 per kwh

Off-Peak**
M-F 11:00 p.m. - 9:00 a.m.
All Day Sat. and Sun.
$0.07695 per kwh

This info should probably go on the facebook page.

Last edited:
@ wmgill, @ ohaq

I agree info regarding DTE incentive should go on the club's page. It is not that easy to find on DTE's page. I spoke with them, and seems really nice. I was really surprised by the willingness to help. I have asked them about HPWC. Basically they would cover the wiring and the L2 charging stations sold on the website. They wont cover Tesla charger. Now, in most cases the wiring costs for NEMA 14-50 is close to 2000$, so everybody will only be eligible for that. However if an electrician gives an estimate of less then 2500 $ for HPWC line, then DTE will cover that line, you would just need to buy HPWC on your own and ask an electrician to install it at the time you get the line. Confusing, but the short answer is 2500 $ for line and L2 station except HPWC. DTE rates are amazing. I should be getting mine after I get the registration.

got my car and plug installed today. currently its on the same meter but in a month will get the new meter and will be paying only 7 cents. I'll post soem pics in the delivery thread and 60kwh owner thread later maybe on the weekend, right now just need to drive it as much as i can.

Hi,
I live in chicago but I am in the process of buying a house in south west michigan to use a few days a week as my work just went to flex location. It is an older house and it will need new electric wiring. Can you get the incentive in Michigan for the wiring for the Nema 14-50 if you are not a resident?

- - - Updated - - -

I should add that I own a tesla.

Hi,
I live in chicago but I am in the process of buying a house in south west michigan to use a few days a week as my work just went to flex location. It is an older house and it will need new electric wiring. Can you get the incentive in Michigan for the wiring for the Nema 14-50 if you are not a resident?

- - - Updated - - -

I should add that I own a tesla.

I think you should be good, below are the requirements from http://www.dteenergy.com/residentialCustomers/productsPrograms/electricVehicles/getReady.html

1. You must be a DTE Energy electric customer with an active account.
  2. Own your own home or provide written approval from your landlord or property owner.
  3. Vehicle must be SAE J-1772 compliant.
  4. You must have a dedicated parking spot at your residence.
  5. You must take delivery of your vehicle or be able to show proof of ownership of your vehicle.

Tesla Superchargers at CBL Malls

CBL malls just announced that they will partner with Tesla to install superchargers at their malls nationwide. See the links below for the release. It doesn't mention Michigan location, however CBL has locations in Michigan and exactly at the same places where Tesla has announced Superchargers. Coincidence... I don't think so. We may very well have our first break on SC locations in Michigan. Most of these locations are to be in working order by Fall 2013, so combining everything these locations seem high probability. I haven't been to any locations, please feel free to comment about the locations.

Tesla Supercharging Stations at CBL Malls - WSJ.com
Tesla Supercharging Stations at CBL Malls | Business Wire
CBL : Malls & Lifestyle Centers

CBL Malls in Michigan
(1) Fashion Square Mall, Saginaw, MI
(2) The Lakes Mall, Muskegeon, MI
(3) Meridian Mall, Lansing, MI
(4) Midland Mall, Midland, MI (most likely it will be at Saginaw, however locations too close to be sure)

If Tesla follows the same strategy for next batch of SCs, then they may partner with similar business. Rouse properties is one such mall operator, and to my surprise has few properties in Michigan which exists at speculated SC locations.

Our Locations | Rouse Properties | We See Opportunity

Rouse Malls in Michigan
(1) Grand Traverse Mall, Traverse City, MI
(2) Lansing Mall, Lansing, MI (Not sure now, which mall will be selected. Lansing Vs Meridian)
(3) Westwood Mall, Jackson, MI

Last edited:
Consumers Energy has a reimbursement program and time-of-day PEV rates if you are in their service area, however "The last name and address on the registration must match the address of the home where the charging station is being installed" so a second home may not qualify. Let me know if you want more info and I will forward what I have.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are some excerpts from my communication with Consumers Energy:

Plug-In Electric Vehicle Program: Consumers Energy has a reimbursement incentive for up to $2500 for the first 2500 electric residential qualifying customers through the end of December 2014. This incentive reimburses costs incurred through the purchase and installation of a charging station for a plug in electric vehicle. This is a one-time reimbursement for the cost and installation of a 240 volt charging station at your home on our electric residential rate. One of the qualifications is that the vehicle must be in a person’s name (not a business). The last name and address on the registration must match the address of the home where the charging station is being installed. The rates and incentive apply at your residential home in conjunction with the Consumers Energy electric residential meter.

To qualify: (1) home address where the charging station will be installed, (2) a copy of your PEV Application for Registration, or a copy of the Registration for your PEV.

They also have an experimental rate option available to Consumers Energy residential electric customers.

With the PEV Rate 1 – (Your whole house and the charging station would be on a time-of-day meter.)

All Year: Weekends/Holidays/ 11pm-7am are off peak (9 cents per kWH)

“PEV Winter Rates”
October-May (8 months of the year)
Monday-Friday 7am-11pm 13 cents per kWH

“PEV Summer Rates”
June-September
Monday-Friday 7am-2pm and 6pm-11pm 15 cents per kWH
Monday –Friday 2pm-6pm (4 hours out of the day for 5 days of the week) 22 cents per kWH.