Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New New England Supercharger Locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RDoc

2021 Prerefresh Model S
Aug 24, 2012
Boston North Shore
It looks like they're building one at 95 and 195 near Providence by the fall. An another somewhere on the Mass Pike by end 2013, possibly in Auburn.
IMHO, there still is a hole in Eastern MA for people going to the Cape from the north, or people going up to Maine from the south. One at the intersection of the Mass Pike and 128 would be good I think. Hopefully, the'll continue building more in the future.

It looks like they're building one at 95 and 195 near Providence by the fall. An another somewhere on the Mass Pike by end 2013, possibly in Auburn.
IMHO, there still is a hole in Eastern MA for people going to the Cape from the north, or people going up to Maine from the south. One at the intersection of the Mass Pike and 128 would be good I think. Hopefully, the'll continue building more in the future.

And in Maine some time in 2014, looking like Portland first and then Bangor that should make Robert happy.

It would allow Model Sers to get to Bar Harbor, although not so good if you want to take the more scenic route up Route 1.

The Fall will be big - the Pike one, perhaps at the Charlton rest area near I-84; one in south/central NH, near Concord and the I-89/I-93 interchange; Albany, near I-90 and I-87; and the Maine one near Portland.

Concord makes skiing in NH and even VT possible, but I'm looking forward to Winter when they add West Lebanon/White River Junction near I-89/I-91. Enough to get to Montreal, Robert - or need to wait until next year?

Next year they add what looks to be north of Burlington VT, somewhere on I-87 Northway near Plattsburgh NY, further west on the Pike near Springfield, and further north in Maine.

I'm pretty happy about the map as proposed:

- Maine is getting better-than-hoped-for coverage. The Portland-area SC is probably going to be the Kennebunk rest area on I-95, given what we've seen about SC placement so far. It's 154 miles from there to Bangor on Interstate. Bangor is a savvy place for an SC because it's the only place downeast where both I-95 and US 1 come together.

- NH/VT are pretty good, eventually. Montreal is out of reach (using SCs alone) until the WRJct SC is in place, and the Burlington-area one is a nice top-up point (and useful on its own, especially for going to UVM.

- It looks like Stamford CT is getting two SCs: one on I-95 and another on the Merritt. This is fantastic, as I strongly prefer taking the Merritt. It's 175 miles between Boston and Stamford, which is fine in most conditions. With the extra SC in Charlton MA, this will be my preferred route.

In the best of all worlds I would have liked to see:

- an SC on Cape Cod, along Rte 6 near Sandwich. Charging infrastructure on the cape is abysmal.

- an SC near St Johnsbury (I-91/I-93 intersection) to improve access to eastern Quebec (Sherbrooke) and White Mountains.

- an SC on I-84 between Danbury CT and Newburgh NY, to support traffic between Hartford and points west.

Still, a lot of good news for New Englanders in this announcement.

In today's Globe article on Tesla:
On the Hot Seat with TeslaConnell - Business - The Boston Globe

Diarmuid O'Connell is quoted on MA Supercharger:

"How long does it take to charge?
It really depends. If you’re using your household circuit it takes several hours. If you use one of our superchargers, which we’re installing on major interstates and arteries — we’ll be doing one here on I-90 in Sturbridge — you can recover 150 miles in 30 minutes or less."

Sounds like Charlton Service Area to me.

Last edited:
In today's Globe article on Tesla:
On the Hot Seat with TeslaConnell - Business - The Boston Globe

Diarmuid O'Connell is quoted on MA Supercharger:

"How long does it take to charge?
It really depends. If you’re using your household circuit it takes several hours. If you use one of our superchargers, which we’re installing on major interstates and arteries — we’ll be doing one here on I-90 in Sturbridge — you can recover 150 miles in 30 minutes or less."

Sounds like Charlton Service Area to me.

Posted this in the Future Supercharger Thread but thought folks here might have more insight:

Glad to hear another is going in but Sturbridge? Why not Springfield/Chicopee? Captures the NYC to VT traffic. Unless they prefer to do southern VT for that.

I'm pretty happy about the map as proposed:

- Maine is getting better-than-hoped-for coverage. The Portland-area SC is probably going to be the Kennebunk rest area on I-95, given what we've seen about SC placement so far. It's 154 miles from there to Bangor on Interstate. Bangor is a savvy place for an SC because it's the only place downeast where both I-95 and US 1 come together.

Kennebunkport makes sense, although the blob on the map suggests a bit farther north. Wanting a 24 hour stop, and space, that's the only reasonable place. The Maine Mall isn't 24 hour and the Amtrak/Concord Coachlines transportation center off I295 exit 5 just has a vending machine.

For Bangor, the obvious place is Dysart's truck stop/restaurant off exit 180. It's 24 hours. Then you can either head up to 182A and take the connector to 1A-N, which meets US-1 in Ellsworth, or not get back on I95 and take a more scenic route through Winterport and Frankfort, turn onto 174 and rejoin US1 to take the Penobscot Narrows Bridge (possibly stopping at Fort Knox or the bridge observatory). The scenic route is still only 60-odd miles to Bar Harbor, which should leave plenty of spare charge for a drive up Cadillac mtn or through the park.

So, come 2015, if you ever feel like doing a run to get some fresh Maine lobster and clams cooked properly in seawater, followed by some Mt Desert Island sight-seeing (and/or mini-golf) feel free shoot me a PM. I'd be happy to pay for your gas. ;)

Posted this in the Future Supercharger Thread but thought folks here might have more insight:

Glad to hear another is going in but Sturbridge? Why not Springfield/Chicopee? Captures the NYC to VT traffic. Unless they prefer to do southern VT for that.

That is coming later. The "Sturbridge" site picks up the Boston/NYC traffic, allowing you to skip the Milford SC and use the Merritt Parkway for its whole length. Sturbridge also spans the gap from Milford to Portland, so New Yorkers can ski in Maine.

Did a long trip earlier in the week using the Milford Supercharger, so thought I'd post to share my range experience. I had an all-day meeting in Armonk, NY (IBM HQ) Monday. Did the same trip a month ago, but I had a little more time on the way so stopped at Milford. But I got stuck in commuter traffic on the Merritt so this time I decided to stay on 84 to 684 and then charge only on the way home.

I left Cambridge at 5:30am after a range charge (I think it showed 270 or so). I had climate control on range mode (Eco) at 70 degrees, which was comfortable in outside temps that quickly got to the low 90s. I set the cruise control at 65 on the Mass Pike but in CT started to inch it up bit by bit to 70 and then 72 on 684 as I got more comfortable with my remaining range. Made it to Armonk (186 miles) in 3 hours 10 minutes or so after hitting some traffic on 84 and 684, with about 70 rated miles left and 46 miles to get to Milford.

At about 4:45 I left Armonk and took some local roads (King St., Cliffdale Rd., Riverville Rd., Porchuk Rd., Round Hill Rd.) to get to the Merritt Parkway. Hit a lot of traffic after a while so bailed and took CT 7 south to 95 north which was a little better. Reached Milford at 6pm with 18 miles to go, and am pleased to state that the entire trip averaged 299 wh/mi - just barely better than EPA rated. I drove smoothly with few sudden accelerations at reasonable speeds, and covered 236.5 miles. Adding in the 18 rated remaining gets to 254.5 miles, so not sure where the extra 15 went from my starting 270... Charged for 50 min over dinner and emails and then headed home with plenty of range to spare - drove at 70-75 on the way home except for during a few heavy downpours when dropped to 50-55, and overall maintained on or a little above EPA rated.

Anyway the trip is doable in warm temperatures, and will be more so when we get Darien (I-95) and Greenwich (Merritt) Superchargers this summer, and Sturbridge/Charlton in the fall.

uhu4egu9.jpg

eze6u5ed.jpg

Last edited:
The i91 corridor would still be under served by the planned SC locations. They should put one on i91 in northern MA or as far north as the VT welcome center.

It looks like there's one by the I91/90 interchange (though if on the Pike it's a bit problematic to access), and another at West Lebanon/White River Junction. That doesn't work?

Anyway the trip is doable in warm temperatures, and will be more so when we get Darien (I-95) and Greenwich (Merritt) Superchargers this summer, and Sturbridge/Charlton in the fall.

The distance between the Darien Supercharger location and Greenwich Supercharger location is less than 11 miles!

Is there a logical reason for having 2 Supercharger locations that close to each other?

Not that I mind them being that close (I am actually in favour of little distance inbetween 2 Supercharger locations), but I just had not expected 2 Supercharger locations being that close to each other.

The distance between the Darien Supercharger location and Greenwich Supercharger location is less than 11 miles!

Is there a logical reason for having 2 Supercharger locations that close to each other?

Not that I mind them being that close (I am actually in favour of little distance inbetween 2 Supercharger locations), but I just had not expected 2 Supercharger locations being that close to each other.
The Darien SC is on the Merritt, while the Greenwich SC is on I-95, yes? So even though they're only 11 miles apart, they're on very different routes. It would be a total PITA to flip down from the Merritt (=pleasure to drive) to I-95 (=painful to drive) because of charging. I've had to do this a couple of times to pick up the Milford SC, and I look forward to being able to stay on the Merritt.

If anything, it's the Greenwich SC that's redundant, given that Tesla will be installing an SC in northern NJ sometime soon. If you're heading west on I-80, though, that NJ SC may not be convenient.

Overall, I think it's great that Tesla is saturating routes. This bodes well for the future. While the timing may seem odd, my guess is that Tesla found the Connecticut Highway Department to be very cooperative. The main cause for delays in adding SCs at this point has to be regulatory/siting/interconnection.

Darien is definitely on 95, not sure about Greenwich. Could it be that the rest stop on the NY / CT line by King St is where they are putting it? It is under construction at the moment.

I am hoping Darien opens soon, as I've been doing a lot of trips up and down 95, and around NYC lately, and got home with 11 miles to spare last night. A quick top off (had to stop there anyway for a bio-break) would have made my life much easier.

The Darien SC is on the Merritt, while the Greenwich SC is on I-95, yes? So even though they're only 11 miles apart, they're on very different routes. It would be a total PITA to flip down from the Merritt (=pleasure to drive) to I-95 (=painful to drive) because of charging. I've had to do this a couple of times to pick up the Milford SC, and I look forward to being able to stay on the Merritt.

If anything, it's the Greenwich SC that's redundant, given that Tesla will be installing an SC in northern NJ sometime soon. If you're heading west on I-80, though, that NJ SC may not be convenient.

Overall, I think it's great that Tesla is saturating routes. This bodes well for the future. While the timing may seem odd, my guess is that Tesla found the Connecticut Highway Department to be very cooperative. The main cause for delays in adding SCs at this point has to be regulatory/siting/interconnection.