Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

17" Monitor Not Switching from Night to Day Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
17" Monitor Not Switching from Night to Day Mode

OK, I've had this problem for a while and Service is aware but they haven't offered a fix. My center console 17" monitor in my MS does not automatically switch from night mode to day mode unless I let the map scroll to reload portions of the map no previously displayed or I change the zoom settings on the map. BTW, the dash does switch automatically.

IMG_1454.JPG
IMG_1459.jpg
IMG_1463.jpg
IMG_1469.jpg

Any suggestions would be helpful. I have sent these to service and all they say is bring the car in, so it's scheduled to go into Fremont Service Center on June 6th.

- - - Updated - - -

I couldn't figure out how to edit my post so I'm replying to myself to provide more info.

I'm running Version 4.4 ending in.25, the monitor has distinct day and night intensities and is set to auto. I've rebooted several times and it doesn't help. This all started after version 4.4 updated. OBTW, the car will switch to night mode when driving while the sun is still shining, late in the day but its still bright outside and since I have the monitor set for low illumination for night it all but disappears when that happens. When it goes into night mode early both the monitor and the dash change to night time mode.

The display switches from day to night mode but the navigation screen doesn't redraw automatically when the mode changes. Simply toggle the traffic button and it will force a redraw rather than you haven't to wait for a tile by tile redraw. Note that if you had another app displayed (say, energy usage) you would see the mode change. It appears to just be the nav app.

Agree that a mode switch should immediately force a redraw.

Not to hijack your thread, but can night mode be disabled? I always prefer the brighter mode.

It can, see under "controls/displays..." However, the screen defaults back to "auto" for safety reasons when you start the car; the day screen reflects a lot of light inside the car at night potentially reducing your visibility.

- - - Updated - - -

The display switches from day to night mode but the navigation screen doesn't redraw automatically when the mode changes.

Agree with everything you said, also worth noting that the map redraw goes faster as you move outside its current zoom. IOW, a full screen, zoomed out map will take longer to redraw than a half screen, zoomed in one does.

(That last description sounds odd but hopefully you get what I'm saying.)

This is a known issue and there are several other threads where it is discussed. But you have the gist of it. Maps dont switch unless you force it to redownload the tiles, either by driving out of the original area, toggling it off/on the screen, or zooming. Perhaps it will be fixed when the MS switches to use vector-based maps (now offered by Google maps).

The problem seems to be a bad light sensor in my opinion.

Here's a simple test:
* Park the S in dark place
* Take a bright flashlight and point it at the light sensor.
* If your screen switches to day mode then you can eliminate a light sensor being bad. If not then the sensor is most likely the culprit.

If the trouble continues then TM needs to find a solution rather quickly or replace the screen.

My car does the same thing. It is annoying because it thinks it is night mode in my garage, but when I drive out, it switches to day mode, and then the nav app is half day half night. Looks like a pure software bug, and if there is a major google app update available, they were probably waiting for that before fixing the problem.

Does the "rest" of the console change to night mode? In other words if you have media and energy screens up, do they switch?

If so, then it sounds like what you are reporting in your thread title isn't actually occurring.. .and as other folks have pointed out, it's stale map tiles. Probably an easy software fix by having the nav HTML window force a refresh on state change...

Let's separate the issue. To scaesare's point, it appears the 17" screen is in "night" mode in your picture, because the border surrounding it is dark. It's just the maps app that hasn't reloaded black-background tiles instead of white-background tiles. Known problem, especially when you're at low zoom levels. Toggle the button as mentioned earlier and it will reload.

The problem's known.

Thanks for the comments. Since my dash changes when it should and it's only the maps I believe the sensor is OK, where is the light sensor?

I guess what I'm looking for is how prevalent the issue is and who, other than myself, has reported this to TM. Also this started after version 4.4 was uploaded. Is that when you guys noticed the problem?
I've found that when we as a group find a problem and report it, squeaky wheel, there is more urgency within TM for a solution.

Thanks.

I'm having an issue with my display switching incorrectly as well. The screen won't switch to night mode at night and stays bright unless i go to controls and switch it from auto to night. I also get random switches to night mode during daylight. It's rather annoying and i'm scheduled for service in Fremont 6/4

Glad to hear 4.5 fixes the issue. Been waiting but I guess I'm not tall enough to have gotten the update.

With that said I had an interesting experience this morning. The map screen was in night mode but my radio screen was in daylight. So I went to full map screen mode and the dam screen that was night got moved to the middle of the screen and the top and bottom where in day mode:eek:. I did a traffic off then on and it all corrected but it was weird.:wink: