Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Flat Bed - Bad for Public Image

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this was discussed earlier, but was diverted into a conversation about other issues with open flat-beding.

My wife just sent me a pic of a Model S on a flat bed and said "uh oh, I saw a Tesla being towed..."

Are they still doing this for deliveries and service work? Or only when really needed? It's terrible for public image. Its like "hey look everyone, here's a Model S that broke down and had to be towed!"

Do you think Tesla is aware of the negative attention and perception it creates? Open towing should be avoided in my opinion, even if the alternative is a little more costly. Will save them millions in public image...

I know this was discussed earlier, but was diverted into a conversation about other issues with open flat-beding.

My wife just sent me a pic of a Model S on a flat bed and said "uh oh, I saw a Tesla being towed..."

I was involved in an accident on Friday and had to be towed away on a flatbed

Here is my car; no damage aft of this picture:
Tesla Side.jpeg

Here is the other car:

M5 Pax side.jpeg
M5 Wheel.jpeg

Other cars (ICEs) get towed all the time in the same manner so people may have to get used to it but they do treat EVs differently. If they can it probably is a good idea for a covered trailer anyway but that might not always be possible.

I think they are trying to minimize the towing on flatbeds, but not all service centers have their full suite of trailers purchased and gophers hired yet. As a result, they have to send towing trucks now and then. I think perception is a bit overloaded when someone sees a flatbed, but then again perception is reality in public relations.

Unfortunately, with all the bias against EVs, they cant be treated the same, at least not at this critical juncture. Telling people "ICE cars get towed all the time" (which is true of course) wont help at all... I wish it was that simple, but people don't want to be bothered with the facts...

This, on the other hand, is great Open-Towing for public image:
http://jalopnik.com/this-is-what-a-truck-full-of-teslas-looks-like-510140988

k-bigpic.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I was involved in an accident on Friday and had to be towed away on a flatbed

Here is my car; no damage aft of this picture:

GasDoc: I read your thread on the accident. So sorry to hear, glad everyone is doing ok. Your situation is clearly different. The problem is when they are towed for something minor and everyone thinks the car is bricked...

The perception people will have can never been perfect. When working at a BMW dealership for seven years, I met quite a few tow truck drivers. One day I asked, "What is the most towed car?" Very quickly I received a response "Honda". "There are way more of them on the road than BMW, so I tow plenty more of them."

So even if you see BMWs or Teslas being towed, it doesnt prove they all need to be towed. It just so happens thats what you saw on the truck.

People have a predisposition to think EVs brick or run out of range and need to be towed. So? So we don't want to feed this perception, even if its not what it seems. Its as they say "dont confuse me with the facts". You have to step back, from your well informed position, and look at it like 95% of Americans would. And its not a matter of just one. Thats my whole point. Its no big deal if its once and a while when its really needed. However, its a problem if its all the time because thats how they do deliveries or pickup for small service work. As someone said above, they need a big sign that reads "Delivery to Happy Customer" if they continue to use open towing all the time.

Ditto. I've often been asked about where I charge, in two years nobody ever mentioned bricking to me (except on the forums).

I've had the same experience with the exception that people ask what happens when you run out. I always answer, "What happens when you run out in a gas car? You walk, no difference except that instead of the gauge going from F to E, there is a counter that counts down the miles."