Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rewriting History??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/video/1708-60-minutes-race-electric-car.html

"Launched Tesla..."?!

I rarely post here anymore, but had to express my disgust that nobody else has objected to the statement that Musk "launched Tesla five years ago." Just imagine what Martin and Marc must feel to hear that reported on national TV. I would have expected better of 60 Minutes, a program that supposedly prides itself on truthful reporting.

At this point, I can only hope that Justine ends up with Tesla in the divorce settlement. Maybe she would be open to inviting "Steve Jobs" back, a la Apple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Yanquetino

Personally I'm not going to let myself get worked up every time Elon mentions the "f" word ("Founder", that is). I'm waiting to see what he does with Model S. That car is his one big opportunity to match and maybe surpass the Roadster.

If he can do that in the likely economic climate and in the face of some great rival products which will also appear in 2010 then he will deserve a lot more respect in the EV world.

And who knows, maybe he can learn to drop his obsession with status and go for aimiability?

But I wouldn't wish divorce on anyone. I'm sorry to hear that he and Justine and the boys are going through that.

Last edited:
As I predicted over a year ago, history has been rewritten. At that time, members of this forum assured me that I was over reacting, and people would always know who really founded Tesla. I am quite disappointed that members of this forum have chosen to "not get worked up" about this. Maybe if this had happened to you, your opinions would be different.

Carolyn

I am sure that many of this forum's members were as shocked and disappointed as I was that Elon has taken so much of the credit for Martin's idea. I know my jaw dropped open when I heard that part of the 60 minutes segment. But unfortunately, most if not all of us aren't journalists, and don't have the wherewithal to dilute the impact of those words. Venting here on this forum doesn't reach even a tiny fraction of the ears that were reached on Sunday.

Those of us who were customers or followers of Tesla early on know the truth. What's unfortunate is that more and more, as the company continues to grow and new customers are attracted, our numbers will become more and more a minority, even on this board (assuming it continues). If there are any suggestions on how to keep Elon from re-writing history, let's hear them. But sadly, what is more likely is that you are right.

TEG, please explain why I should accept a lie.

I understand why people have chosen to exclude Martin and Marc from the history of Tesla, but I see no reason for me to accept the lie. I think that our children deserve to have the truth known.

I'm not suggesting what you or anyone else should do. I am just saying that I have stopped agonizing over what happened. It doesn't make it right, but at some point it could be healthier to try to move on.

SteveF pretty well summed up my feelings.

I am outraged. And I tell those who think the car was Elon's idea (and anyone else who will listen) who the actual originator is.

But to keep posting here is adding a drop of water to a raging stream.

Outside these walls, if it's important to someone to keep up the defense and dispute every misstatement then then they certainly have a full time job!

TEG, please explain why I should accept a lie.

I understand why people have chosen to exclude Martin and Marc from the history of Tesla, but I see no reason for me to accept the lie. I think that our children deserve to have the truth known.
To paraphrase the X-Files: "The truth will always be out there". No matter the future, the facts of the past cannot be changed. Anyone who wants to find the truth will find out that Martin was the founder.

I am happy to mention Martin whenever possible, but I just don't want to be stuck in an endless pit of trying to lambaste every news story that fails to mention him. Things shoud-have, could-have been different, but the situation is what it is now.

As I predicted over a year ago, history has been rewritten. At that time, members of this forum assured me that I was over reacting, and people would always know who really founded Tesla. I am quite disappointed that members of this forum have chosen to "not get worked up" about this. Maybe if this had happened to you, your opinions would be different.

Carolyn

I am disappointed that my repeated attempts (here & Tesla Founders Blog), to encourage Martin to use video-blogging

[ as an iTunes syndication..HUGE reach via iPod/iTouch/iPhone mobile media solutions, AppleTV, & even Blip.tv based embedded Flash video ]

as a citizen Journalism tool, have gone unheeded:

Tesla Roadster

You can easily setup a special iTunes video-podcast RSS feed (for your Tesla Founders Wordpress blog), submit it to iTunes as a video-podcast, have it accepted within 24 hrs (or less), & start a video-campaign. Who are the true Tesla Motors founders, a day in the life of a Roadster owner, etc. Blip.tv is an ideal video-hosting solution, they have embedded Flash video code for Wordpress, Blogger, et al blogs.

teslaroadster on blip.tv

Think Content/Distribution model, that's how you can fight back against EM's media campaign (using MSM/Mainstream Media like Foxnews, CBSnews, various print/online publications, etc). I run into the same "wall", for the offroad racing & HEP/High Energy Physics niche-markets. They have a "bunker mentality", which sticks with the status-quo.

I find it mind-blowing that Martin (who started Nuvomedia, for the Rocketbook ebook) isn't leveraging the latest/greatest in Multimedia technologies for Outreach. He does have an iPhone, so how cool would it be to pull out the iPhone, & show people Tesla Roadster videos? (especially of his own). Going back to Tesla Motors, they were only using text-blogs (& still are!?). I ran into a VR guy at SIGGRAPH 2008 (where I made it a point to network with researchers, who might be interested in a Tesla Roadster related project), who told me he had called up TM about doing a VR thing for the Roadster. He was told that they were busy. Kinda the response I get when I call & left message (no reply). However, when I recently called Ed Davidson (Martin's old EE prof & mentor @UIUC), he called me back promptly. When he tried to contact Martin @TM, he was told "Martin is no longer here".

You are sitting by passively, while EM has an active media campaign (using MSM), & moaning about the results. By being pro-active, say with

1) video blog, syndicated as 2)..see below

2) an iTunes video-podcast
distributed over iPod/iTouch/iPhone, or AppleTV (living room set top box)

3) embedded Flash video player (which can be hosted by ANY website, including TMC)

you can use the "Viral medium" capability of above solutions to "infect" the world with your message: "Martin & Marc are the Tesla Motors founders".

PM me so I can get you going on this!!

SteveF pretty well summed up my feelings.

I am outraged. And I tell those who think the car was Elon's idea (and anyone else who will listen) who the actual originator is.

If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.
-- Joseph Goebbels

So, by getting the Truth out there (via viral media solutions like iTunes, et al..see above post), Martin/Marc (probably with egging on from Carolyn) can win out in the long-run.

But to keep posting here is adding a drop of water to a raging stream.

Outside these walls, if it's important to someone to keep up the defense and dispute every misstatement then then they certainly have a full time job!

Think BIG. Try using iTunes as a viral medium solution, & the message will spread like a freaking VIRUS. Say, like a wildfire out-of-control. Unfortunately, your opponent might use the same strategy as well.

"The early bird gets the worm"

Somebody needs to "get busy".

Carolyn

"In a time of Need, YOU KNOW WHO YOUR REAL FRIENDS ARE"

I've spent a LOT of time/energy to figure out a solution, based on last years TM crisis with the Roadster (transmission). I've found the pieces to the puzzle, & am trying to round people up to make a proposal. Man, is it like pulling teeth!!

In the end, you can only count on yourself (along with some REAL FRIENDS) to fight that battle. Everyone (incl me) have been screwed, are getting screwed, & will get screwed. I have to talk to lawyers to get my thing squared away, the payout could be in the millions (or tens of millions). Yeah, I got screwed like Martin did by a scoundrel/shark, but there's that famous saying "Cheaters never Prosper". They engaged in lies/deceipt (infringing on a DoD/Dept of Defense contractor, thereby getting the attention of the Feds!), committed crimes (copyright infringement, consumer fraud, etc), got sued for 300K, spent 700K, & failed..SPECTACULARLY!! (banktruptcy). What will happen to TM..who knows. But, I know one thing, they are not doing the following:

"If you put yourself in a position to Win, YOU HAVE A SHOT AT WINNING"
-- Jim Valvano, NC State basketball coach, '83 NCAA champ

Lying about the true TM founders, is just "poisoning the well".

from News Flash: Con men will screw you over - crapwagon.com

timmay said:
It's auto racing, folks. Well known haven of narcissists, cheats, liars, and scoundrels. And those are the ones that succeed. The grossly incompetent don't last very long. I'm surprised the Four Bumbling Idiots [ Champcar ownership ] lasted as long as they have. I blame the "four brothers" for this giant debacle, no one else. Not Tony George, not Robin Miller, not the France family, not cynical internet posters, or any other black helicopter you wish to assign. Just those four owners of the [ Champcar ] series who well and truly screwed it into the ground.

"If you S H I T on the road, you will see flies on your return"
-- S. African proverb

I guarantee you, EM is "reaping what seeds he has sewn". Ruminations of a divorce, & crises at TM (last year) & SpaceX are ominous. I don't doubt his passion/motives, but he engaging in some pretty self-destructive behavior.

I just got off the phone with my NREL PV researcher friend (some Alternative Energy ideas related to Roadster), & he is task-slammed with his "vertical silo": everyone has their own personal hell to deal with. Martin must be in the same position, Re: next step. It's hard to get people to drop their stuff, & rally to your defense.

Last edited:

Carolyn

I was in the MP store today. There was a tour group, and I heard the guide saying that TM was founded by Martin and Marc.

....history has been rewritten...

Carolyn

WHAT?

Elon gets another one under the wire and you're like "this time it's game over" and "where was the team"?

Maybe if this had happened to you, your opinions would be different.

I'm sure that's true. I confess that I have found it hard to stay angry on Martin's behalf, not because I'm calous and don't care but because his experiences are far beyond mine. It's a different world, and I don't always connect.

I do apologise that my lack of support on this occasion (and possibly others) has let you down.

Best wishes to you and Martin.

(And please Chimpanzee, lay off the fans and TRUE FANS schtick. It's not helping. All colours of opinion are welcome here. This is just a forum, not a shrine.)

Last edited:
I confess that I have found it hard to stay angry on Martin's behalf, not because I'm calous and don't care but because his experiences are far beyond mine. It's a different world, and I don't always connect.

I do apologize that my lack of support on this occasion (and possibly others) has let you down.

Best wishes to you and Martin.

Yeah, that about sums up how I feel too.

These days I am agonizing more about what has happened to my 401K and IRA than what reporters are supposed to be saying.

Besides, I suspect Martin is moving on to something new by now.

History

Over time history will sort it all out properly. If Tesla goes on to become a highly successful company, then Martin will become the "Father of the Electric Automobile" If Tesla fails, it becomes a mere footnote and people won't care.

For now, we all have to hope that Elon has the ability to keep Tesla growing and can turn it into a successful company. In my opinion, that is the only way Martin can truly get the recognition he richly deserves.

GO TESLA....!!!!!