Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass Roadster Top - New Group buy (May 2013)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

adiggs

Sep 25, 2012
Portland, OR
Who else is inspired by the recent information about the glass tops, and suddenly finds that they NEED the glass top? I mean - besides me and my wife :)

Looks like eeenmachine might be looking. My wife and I decided today that this is the top for us, so I plan to order solo or as part of a group buy in the next week, 2 at the most. Of course, I like saving money when there's an option to do so.

ipdamages - could you toss us some details about how we setup the group buy? Do we each contact David at Mr. Fiat to handle payment details? Do we need to assemble some sort of list ahead of time of who will be participating in the buy?

If you are ready to buy now, or thinking about it now with a decision by the end of May, let me know if you want in on this group buy.

Last edited:
You need three. You can call or email David and he will wait to place the order until he has credit card numbers for three. You can do the organizing and get everyone's info, but it is best IMO if everyone has their own dialogue with him so people don't have to go through you to get a status update. Once you have three who are really in and reply to emails you are in good shape. That is the hardest part - getting three who are really in.

You need three. You can call or email David and he will wait to place the order until he has credit card numbers for three. You can do the organizing and get everyone's info, but it is best IMO if everyone has their own dialogue with him so people don't have to go through you to get a status update. Once you have three who are really in and reply to emails you are in good shape. That is the hardest part - getting three who are really in.

Thanks ip - that makes sense, and I like that approach; keeps my personal effort to a minimum :)

- - - Updated - - -

I just emailed them for a price as a single buyer since it seemed like the last group buy fell apart?

Good morning eeenmachine - looks like you and me make two. It appears we just need a third and we reach the first discount. It's worth it to me to invest a little bit of effort in finding other(s) that are ready to act now.

If you're interested in joining a group buy that would happen within the next week or 2 (max), reply in the thread or send me a private message. We will take ipdamages advice - we'll each have our own dialogue with David @ MrFiat, but we'll also let him know we're trying to setup a group purchase to happen in the next week or two to get the discount.

Awesome 7racer. Once we have confirmation with eeenmachine that he also is in, then that makes 3 of us.

I think ipdamages mentioned the discount grows if we get to 5 of us - I'm willing to wait another day or 3 to see who else is in. The first group buyers are going to start a trend - all of the "in" Roadster owners will drive under glass :biggrin:

Awesome 7racer. Once we have confirmation with eeenmachine that he also is in, then that makes 3 of us.

I think ipdamages mentioned the discount grows if we get to 5 of us - I'm willing to wait another day or 3 to see who else is in. The first group buyers are going to start a trend - all of the "in" Roadster owners will drive under glass :biggrin:

I'll wait to see if we can get to 5 as well. I'm in So Cal, didn't all the tops need to be shipped to a single location?

That makes 3 of us that are in - eeenmachine, 7racer, adiggs.

My understanding eeenmachine, from ipdamages, is that we will each speak individually with David at MrFiat, provide credit card or other payment and shipping information individually. When we have the numbers and say go, he (David at MrFiat) places one order, and then ships each of our tops directly to us group buyers when they get here from Italy.

The tops get shipped to Atlanta and then David sends them out to each of you... Sssooooooooo .... Contact him individually and he will get your contact info and let you know what's up. The guys that make them are craftsmen and on Italian time. It's worth the wait!!!

These things are really cool!

photo-1.JPG
photo-2.JPG

as i said beautiful!

Yes, I agree, Bot! Excellent.

Here is mine, for those on the fence. Also, the exchange rate is better now by about 4% since we ordered in February, so that should help.

Looks beautiful! How does it feel on a hot day? Can you feel the sun beating down, or does it still provide some protection as it is tinted on the outside. Also, what would the cost be today if five people went in?

jbadger - I'll be talking to David at MrFiat today about what the group buy price will actually be, as well as asking about discounts at different volume levels. Five of us is starting to look pretty reasonable - I wonder if we could get all the way to 10? :)

jbadger - I'll be talking to David at MrFiat today about what the group buy price will actually be, as well as asking about discounts at different volume levels. Five of us is starting to look pretty reasonable - I wonder if we could get all the way to 10? :)

Just get current glass owners to keep posting beautiful pics in this thread and others!

Hi all,

I'm the other owner of 969. I've been lurking here for a while but this is my first post. I mostly get my info from Asoka (adiggs). Those glass tops are so nice looking I just had to put in my 2 cents. Here they are - WANT! We've got a soft top only right now. I'd LOVE one of those clear tops for . . . well, every day actually. Rain, shine, cold, hot, whatever. OK, we don't get a lot of hot here. Practically none. I can put the clear top on, park the car in the sun, and pretend it's hot. :)

Looks like we've got 4 people in on a group buy, and I'm hoping Mr. Fiat has someone waiting for a group to join that he can add to ours.

Thanks to everyone who posted pics. That made the decision so very easy.

Now I get to practice being patient. I seem to be getting a lot of that lately.

eeenmachine, 7racer, adiggs, gary1m

Good news everybody - the group buy order is now started with David at MrFiat.com. You can call him at 678-637-5103. I have given him my information (shipping address and credit card). He is ready to take your information (shipping and payment details) for the rest of you who've indicated you are in. You can mention that you're in on the group buy for the Tesla Roadster glass top with "Asoka" (pronounced ashoka). Please contact him before Monday June 3 with your details, as I plan to have the final count and get everything moving on that day.

Our price is $3,000 + $100 shipping ($3100 total). He indicates roughly 4-6 weeks for delivery.

David is going ahead today and placing the order with the factory for 4 tops. He can expand that if more join in the fun. We're not limited to only 4 tops, so if others are interested, you still have time to decide. (And this way, it's like we've already placed the order as far as actual delivery on the back end goes).

Any questions, please let me know.

Thanks!
Asoka

- - - Updated - - -

Hi all,

I'm the other owner of 969. I've been lurking here for a while but this is my first post. I mostly get my info from Asoka (adiggs). Those glass tops are so nice looking I just had to put in my 2 cents. Here they are - WANT! We've got a soft top only right now. I'd LOVE one of those clear tops for . . . well, every day actually. Rain, shine, cold, hot, whatever. OK, we don't get a lot of hot here. Practically none. I can put the clear top on, park the car in the sun, and pretend it's hot. :)

Looks like we've got 4 people in on a group buy, and I'm hoping Mr. Fiat has someone waiting for a group to join that he can add to ours.

Thanks to everyone who posted pics. That made the decision so very easy.

Now I get to practice being patient. I seem to be getting a lot of that lately.

Happy birthday to you.

Happy birthday to you.

Happy birthday my darlin'

Happy birthday to you

:love: