Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major accident for me tonight (5/26) (New P85 arrives 7/8)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE: Pictures in this post.
UPDATE: Story with pics and link to dashcam video posted to Tesla Customer Stories.

----------------------------------------
I was hit in my Model S tonight. Clearly the other party is at fault.

My airbags deployed and my center screen went dead after I manually put on the parking break and turned the car off.

All four of us are ok. If the car was another 4 or 5 feet forward, I and the rear passenger on my side would likely be dead.

I have a dash cam. Will give more details to the forum after things have settled.

But the car took the impact well. The police and fire department were great and the Tesla service person answered the phone around midnight.

Only problem is that the center screen was dead so I couldn't put the car in tow mode. The tow truck driver says that my car looks totalled.

Last edited:
I was hit in my Model S tonight. Clearly the other party is at fault.

My airbags deployed and my center screen went dead after I manually put on the parking break and turned the car off.

All four of us are ok. If the car was another 4 or 5 feet forward, I and the rear passenger on my side would likely be dead.

I have a dash cam. Will give more details to the forum after things have settled.

But the car took the impact well. The police and fire department were great and the Tesla service person answered the phone around midnight.

Only problem is that the center screen was dead so I couldn't put the car in tow mode. The tow truck driver says that my car looks totalled.

Wow. Glad everyone is ok.

My airbags deployed and my center screen went dead

If the airbags deployed, that must have been pretty serious - I think the car would automatically shut off the power completely to prevent an electrical fire which would probably explain why your screen went dead. Don't worry about it I suppose since your life is definitely more important than the replaceable car and if you have video evidence of the other party at fault then I hope that gets you covered for your new car.

I think the car did a fine job of protecting you and your passengers.

Haven't been able to sleep all night. So many different emotions going through my head. Mostly gratitude that everyone is ok. But plenty of anger at the complete lack of judgement of the other driver and sadness at what has become of my beautiful car.

I keep imagining a different world where my car was a second or two ahead and took the full impact, and it was a LOT of impact, as a "T Bone". Who would take care of my kids in that world?

Haven't been able to sleep all night. So many different emotions going through my head. Mostly gratitude that everyone is ok. But plenty of anger at the complete lack of judgement of the other driver and sadness at what has become of my beautiful car.

I keep imagining a different world where my car was a second or two ahead and took the full impact, and it was a LOT of impact, as a "T Bone". Who would take care of my kids in that world?

GasDoc, so glad you and your passengers are ok. While not as important as the safety of everyone involved, at least you'll get another new Model S.

GasDoc, thank goodness everyone's OK. Make sure you all get checked out for soft tissue damage and joint issues: at best you'll be sore for a while, but there could be other, lingering problems.

Just a thought, but you might contact Tesla directly and see if they'll buy the car from you instead of negotiating with the insurance company after it's totaled (I'm assuming TM's engineering team will want to examine the car to validate their crash modeling). Maybe you can even negotiate for a new Model S in lieu of payment, avoiding much hassle.

Having survived a head-on accident many years ago ending with the other driver's bumper on my steering column, I can tell you that the 'what if's' take a long time to go away. In my case (and obviously yours), the point at which I could have avoided the accident was several seconds before I could have actually seen the car. And knowing I had no control over what had happened left me feeling helpless and vulnerable on the road. Because it was clear it could happen again.

But the 'what if's' do go away, with time. What if you hadn't had the good judgment to wear a seat belt? What if you hadn't had the good judgment to buy a car with a 5 star safety rating?

I'm really glad that you and your passengers are unhurt. The car can be replaced. Be glad you were in it. :)

I am so very glad to hear everyone is ok. Do your best to leave what if alone and focus on the fact that you are here because you are meant to me here. That car was meant to save you in that moment. Your next Model S is your long term ownership car... 4768 did its job and did it well.

The nice part is that you got to test drive a Model S for 4 months and now reorder a car with the options you wished you had or didn't have! If it was just right... Then you can order a carbon copy! (Without so much carbon)