Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" Turbine Wheel Solutions...and a question or two

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bakoplan

Supporting Member
May 20, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
So though I hear rumors of 19" turbine wheels being offered soon by Tesla as a factory build alternative, they still disclaim and my car is now in production. So...looking through the great comments on this site and others, I have located two possible after market solutions:

Rial offered through Tunershop and Wolfrace offered on their own site both have Lugano (Turbine) style allow wheels. They appear almost exactly alike, and so my guess is they may both be from same manufacturer (sorry uncertain). Therefore price including shipping and tax may be my ultimate guide as to which to order.

My questions involve concerns regarding what to do once I get them, and are there any additional items I need to get to make sure they fit the Tesla S correctly. I thought a wheel was a wheel, but as I read more, I'm hearing that perhaps the Wolfrace needs a "centering ring and 3mm offset"...

No comments found re the Rial, but if these are really one and the same manufactured wheel, I'm in a quandry as to which is best. Also to complicate the issue, I live in the United States, and it appears the Wolfrace is much more prevalent in Europe, while Rial through Tunershop is easier to obtain here in the US.

Is there someone out there that can bring clarity amidst all this myriad choice and confusion???

I got the Rial Lugano wheels through Tunershop for winter use. I received many compliments on the looks, and they performed admirably. Most of the information I have about ordering them is set forth in the string Odenator pointed to, and particularly in post #59: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/11271-19-quot-Turbine-Wheel-Solution/page6
I am pretty sure that the Wolfrace and Rial wheels are the same, although I was never able to determine that to a certainty. Good luck!
Please feel free to PM me if you have any more specific questions.

Solved… In a roundabout way. Wanted the black 19 inch Lugunos from Turnershop. For this winter. They weren't available till April 2014. Settled for the silver. Ordered them this morning. Later this evening had a shock. Found the same wheels in gunmetal titanium at Tirerack!!! Release, shipping late October. Much preferred them, and ordered them the same night.

Have tried to cancel the silver 19 inch. If I cannot, they're for sale to whoever wants them at a reasonable price.

Just received the 19" RiAL wheels and Michelin MXM4 SL tires from Tire Rack ( 21" Continentals worn out 15k miles)
The lug nuts provided are quite a bit smaller which raises a bit of concern. Anyone just re-use the nuts from the 21" turbines or must the smaller nuts be used ?

BTW, the tires are much quieter also because I'm guessing that worn tires make more noise.

Lug Nuts.jpg

Just received the 19" RiAL wheels and Michelin MXM4 SL tires from Tire Rack ( 21" Continentals worn out 15k miles)
The lug nuts provided are quite a bit smaller which raises a bit of concern. Anyone just re-use the nuts from the 21" turbines or must the smaller nuts be used ?

You can't use the Tesla nuts with those wheels, the seating area isn't right. See the warped rotor thread.

BTW, the tires are much quieter also because I'm guessing that worn tires make more noise.

Correct. Worn tires make more noise than new tires. Note that some worn tires make less noise than some other new tires.