Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

First Range Trip = No anxiety and comfortable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

walla2

Jul 15, 2012
I took my first real range trip in my P85 from Walla Walla to Portland, and it was both easy and comfortable. I started my journey with a max range charge and drove 65 mph for 255 miles over moderately hilly roads using 80 kWh and averaging 303 wh/mi. The temperature was in the 55-70 range outside with head winds. I made the first leg with 5 kWh left in the tank (No less than 9 miles rated/projected) and dropped the car off at service. Even with 9 miles, I had no range anxiety as I had reached Portland where level 2 charging stations are commonplace. I made the return trip with again at 100% range charge (Firm 4.5) and drove 260 miles back this time with a light tailwind. I did stop and charge on a level 2 charger for 1.5 hours on the way back and added 22 mi/hr for free to solidify my chance of return. I made it back driving slightly faster over the same landscape with 38 miles of range remaining averaging 308 wh/mi and using 80.1 kWh.

The car was comfortable to drive, and the lack of range issues really made me wonder about Broder. I made the trip without superchargers and few chargers of any kind along the way. I had no range anxiety over more diverse landscape. It was warmer, but even so, a rational person could easily make these long drives in this fantastic car. While I couldn't have made 300 miles at 65 mph, I could have gotten very close. All along the way, people would approach, see the car slow down and do double takes and I got about 10 thumb ups. I was thinking how awesome it is to prove that the car can do more than just drive in the city. The trip proved it to me and likely to many others.

On a final note, I don't normally take pictures of anything I see along the way, but I saw a complete double rainbow on the way back and had to take this photo:

rainbow_b.jpg

I took my first real range trip in my P85 from Walla Walla to Portland, and it was both easy and comfortable. I started my journey with a max range charge and drove 65 mph for 255 miles over moderately hilly roads using 80 kWh and averaging 303 wh/mi. The temperature was in the 55-70 range outside with head winds. I made the first leg with 5 kWh left in the tank (No less than 9 miles rated/projected) and dropped the car off at service. Even with 9 miles, I had no range anxiety as I had reached Portland where level 2 charging stations are commonplace. I made the return trip with again at 100% range charge (Firm 4.5) and drove 260 miles back this time with a light tailwind. I did stop and charge on a level 2 charger for 1.5 hours on the way back and added 22 mi/hr for free to solidify my chance of return. I made it back driving slightly faster over the same landscape with 38 miles of range remaining averaging 308 wh/mi and using 80.1 kWh.

The car was comfortable to drive, and the lack of range issues really made me wonder about Broder. I made the trip without superchargers and few chargers of any kind along the way. I had no range anxiety over more diverse landscape. It was warmer, but even so, a rational person could easily make these long drives in this fantastic car. While I couldn't have made 300 miles at 65 mph, I could have gotten very close. All along the way, people would approach, see the car slow down and do double takes and I got about 10 thumb ups. I was thinking how awesome it is to prove that the car can do more than just drive in the city. The trip proved it to me and likely to many others.

Anxiously awaiting the Supercharger announcement in the hopes that I can get from Napa to Portland, then over to Walla Walla later this summer. I've done two 1K trips but haven't been able to match your 303 wh/m for any extended periods. Mostly end up at about 315-320 wh/m. And I never go over 65! But my previous routes had fairly significant elevation changes.