Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reus audio upgrade so cal group buy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone interested in upgraded audio from Reus in Orange County? A few guys in NorCal have a group buy gong saving them up to 500 on an upgrade (about 3.5k instead of 4k). I've heard of good reviews about the system. For the studio sound, they ad a 10 inch sub, active and passive crossovers, additional center channel, and replace tweeters.

Anyone interested in upgraded audio from Reus in Orange County? A few guys in NorCal have a group buy gong saving them up to 500 on an upgrade (about 3.5k instead of 4k). I've heard of good reviews about the system. For the studio sound, they ad a 10 inch sub, active and passive crossovers, additional center channel, and replace tweeters.

I'd be interested but live in Dallas. )-:

Is the Reus audio system totally integrated with the Model S interface? And if Telsa makes software changes to their interface/audio system would it impact the Reus system?

Is the cost of the Reus system (in SoCal) $3500 whether you have the upgraded system or regular system? And is there a further discount if they get a group of folks buying it?

I had the upgrade done, and can describe it. In general terms, they add a new speaker system on top of the existing Tesla system. Both systems are tied together, so they both play at the same time. They don't really interact with each other from a user point of view. They are both fed from the same source (memory stick, radio, etc.), so EQ changes and other changes on the Tesla display are fed to both systems. As part of the Reus upgrade, the existing Tesla system is tuned both frequency-wise and volume-wise (crossover caps alter the frequency response, and resistors provide volume reduction), so that the new Reus system is what you're primarily listening to in the car.

The new system consists of a tweeter on the center rear view mirror pointing at the windshield, they replace the two A-pillar Tesla tweeters with more mid-range drivers that have a wider dispersion, and they also have a couple of different subwoofer options that you can choose from.

I suppose if you had the Tesla audio upgrade as an original option, the finished product after the Reus upgrade might sound a bit better than if you just had the regular Tesla audio. But, like I said, you're really listening to the Reus upgrade in the car and not the Tesla system so much.

There are a few options on price (subwoofers mostly , whether you have the 3rd row seats dictates spacing and placement of the sub(s)). You can choose to leave the Tesla subwoofer alone and augment it (as I did), or replace it with a Reus sub.

They did give a 15% discount off the list price of their upgrade to this "group buy" in the SD/OC area with the work done at their shop. Not sure if the pricing is still in effect. You'd have to contact Reus for that info...

I hope that information helps...

Last edited:
zax123, I am happy with the sound of the upgrade. Blown away is such a subjective term, I don't know if I would use that...The thing for me is that this is more expensive than any other stereo upgrade I've ever performed or paid to have someone do on a car...I thought about doing something myself, but don't have a service manual or know much about the existing wiring, etc., and wasn't interested in doing exploratory surgery. Then I thought about taking the car to a local shop that might be cheaper. While they may do fine work, I was just reluctant to have someone tear into the car that might not know that much about it.

I ultimately chose Reus because of the fact that they have upgraded many different cars over several years, including many Model S's. As I saw when I took my car in to be upgraded, a good portion of the cost of the upgrade is paying for their knowledge and experience. Good car stereo equipment isn't really that expensive, and Reus doesn't appear to use "name brands" (I didn't see the drivers, but the amps not not marked with a brand). However, since sound performance is really what we're looking for, the brand doesn't matter. Reus has done the research, they have chosen the components to use, know exactly which trim panels to remove, which wires to tap in the car, and how to do the upgrade while minimizing the invasiveness, etc. You're not going to end up with anything broken or any rattles after they get done. And, that, in my opinion, is what you're paying Reus for with this upgrade. Along with improved sound, of course :)

So, yes, I am happy with the upgrade; it sounds good. I wish it was less expensive, but I believe you get what you pay for...

I hope that answers your questions...

Randy, thanks for the detailed response. It definitely answers my questions. I love good sounding audio and I've always felt the system in the S lacks a bit of punch and clarity. Of course it's very dependent on the source quality... Maybe when I have some money to throw around I'll consider Reus. Thanks again!