Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volkswagen Lupo 3L 1.2 TDI (FANTASTIC fuel economy)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you guys know about the Volkswagen Lupo 3L? It is supposed to be the most fuel efficient highway capable car in the world. I just bought it :) VW produced the volkswagen between 1999 - 2005. This little sucker is not big...but you can still sit 4-5 adults in it and have somewhat of luggage-space :) It has 2 airbags and is supposed to be pretty safe even if it's very small. Now the interesting part....you can actually achieve about 85 MPG with this car, something I bet people in the states would be interested in aswell as Europe and the rest of the world. I will link a video from a couple in the Netherlands driving 100 KM with 3 litres of diesel. (!!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ene7P7-cwZo

.../It has 2 airbags and is supposed to be pretty safe even if it's very small./...

It sure is fuel-efficient. It’s probably one of the most resource efficient cars out there, since it’s also so small. And you already bought it… But thought I could post this anyway, if only just to make sure that you’ll be extra careful out there when driving it.

Especially interesting action between 1:12-1:22, 1:33-2:09 & 2:19-2:34, saving the ‘most spectacular’ for the last six seconds (albeit a 2009 Smart and a 2009 Toyota Yaris, but I don’t think a VW Lupo would handle a similar experience that much differently):

Additional source:
IIHS news release

Last edited by a moderator:
It sure is fuel-efficient. It’s probably one of the most resource efficient cars out there, since it’s also so small. And you already bought it… But thought I could post this anyway, if only just to make sure that you’ll be extra careful out there when driving it.

Especially interesting action between 1:12-1:22, 1:33-2:09 & 2:19-2:34, saving the ‘most spectacular’ for the last six seconds (albeit a 2009 Smart and a 2009 Toyota Yaris, but I don’t think a VW Lupo would handle a similar experience that much differently):

Additional source:
IIHS news release

Nice to meet other swedes on the forum :)

Lots of small cars are pretty unsafe...but some small cars are better than others :) Check this youtube video with a Lupo 3L crashtest:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had to add a picture of me and my new little darling...I call her the "Pearl Blue".......
IMG_0279.jpeg

Servicing costs

Hi Nichen,

Im really curious how you find the servicing costs of running a Lupo 3L. We had one from 06 to 011. Loved it - but the cost of servicing wasn't so good. (relative to my current Ford flexi)

Especially when it comes to replace the timing belt.

Still - considering buying another ... interested to know if you've found a good mechanic for 3L's and doesnt charge the earth like the VW dealerships and a good source for parts? (import maybe)

A.

Hi Nichen,

Im really curious how you find the servicing costs of running a Lupo 3L. We had one from 06 to 011. Loved it - but the cost of servicing wasn't so good. (relative to my current Ford flexi)

Especially when it comes to replace the timing belt.

Still - considering buying another ... interested to know if you've found a good mechanic for 3L's and doesnt charge the earth like the VW dealerships and a good source for parts? (import maybe)

A.

Hello there! (Tjena!)

Well I love this car! It's absolutely fantastic and the fuel-milage just can't be any better. It is a special car and it is fun to drive, and it's remarkable how good suspension it has and how good it feels even for long trips. You can also use RME for the car here at OKQ8 Sundsvall in Skönsberg! It cost about 1 krona less than regular diesel. And the fuelconsumption is somewhat the same!! Well you should definately try this forum where most of your questions can be answered:

http://www.lupo3lclub.se/

Eko-bilar in Uppsala has a fantastic mechanic, specialized in Audi A2 3L and VW Lupo 3L. He is the one to go to if there are major problems. If its only service or smaller repairs most workshops should be able to fix it. You can find info at the forum about that. Do you know the car Audi A2 3L? it also gets fantastic mileage...about 0.33 to 0.36 litres of diesel per 10 km. The forum is good also if you wanna buy used Lupos for sale...recently there was a car for sale for about 25 000 kronor (!!)

I dunno about servicing the car...haven't done it yet because I bought the car in April but you can read about what others have said about it at the forum! Just don't go to Volkswagen, go to an independent workshop which knows how to deal with Lupo 3L. Volkswagen cost a fortune and they don't know anything about Lupo 3L. The forum is great for Lupo 3L owners in Sweden.

Best regards from Nicholas in Sundsvall

Last edited: