Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Barnstable level 2 charger - ICEd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RDoc

2021 Prerefresh Model S
Aug 24, 2012
Boston North Shore
I just stopped to check out the Barnstable, MA charger location. It's at the Barnstable County Complex just off 6A on the Cape.

Barnstable location.jpg

Unfortunately, although there's a sigh saying non-EV's will be towed, there were other free spots, and it's right beside the Police Station, both bays were ICEd. With so few charging spots on the Cape, ICEing is going to be a very big problem I'm afraid.

Barnstable charger crop.jpg

Much less of a problem, but my Kendall Square office's parking garage has about 20 spaces on the ground floor dedicated to "Low Emissions Vehicles Only", with a green-lettered official metal sign on each. I often have to park my S on a different level, because the designation is so vague and there is no enforcement so that pretty much anyone with a relatively small car, hybrid or not - or this morning, a several year old BMW 5 series! - parks there. I've asked the building to change the signage to hybrids/EVs and do something about violators. While they acknowledge the problem they haven't done anything about it.

Had to attend a wedding in Hyannis this weekend and decided to take the Tesla. Stayed at the Hyannis Courtyeard Marriott and had called Belise Nissan which is right next to the Cape Cod Mall and half mile from the hotel (walking distance) to see if I can use the charger. They were super nice and said no problem. We got back from the wedding, I dropped off my wife in the hotel, and hooked it up at the dealership, walked back to the hotel and next morning we were fully charged. May be the best option for Cape Cod/Hyannis area. Super convenient.

Apparently there are several charging stations in Hyannis, unfortunately there are remarkably few elsewhere on the Cape. We go to Provincetown several times a year and there's nothing available there at all AFAIK. The lack of stations plus the ICE problem really makes traveling to the Cape by EV pretty fraught. I suspect it will be much worse in the summer too as parking is always a problem during the season, so ICEing will likely get much worse.

On Sunday afternoon when I got to the Milford Southbound Supercharger one of the spots was blocked by an ICE. I pulled into the open spot and was considering phoning it in when I saw that the car had a handicapped tag and all of the adjacent handicapped spaces were full, though one then opened up. While inside the building I was pleased to hear an announcement come over the speakers warning the driver he/she was going to be towed - and when we came out the car had been moved to the open handicapped space. No other S had pulled in, so I assume the service area staff is on the ball - good to see.

Apparently there are several charging stations in Hyannis, unfortunately there are remarkably few elsewhere on the Cape. We go to Provincetown several times a year and there's nothing available there at all AFAIK. The lack of stations plus the ICE problem really makes traveling to the Cape by EV pretty fraught. I suspect it will be much worse in the summer too as parking is always a problem during the season, so ICEing will likely get much worse.

If people just post online about this problem and don't actually do something about it, this problem will get worse. You should have walked over to the police station and asked to have them ticketed and towed as per the clear signage.

On Sunday afternoon when I got to the Milford Southbound Supercharger one of the spots was blocked by an ICE. I pulled into the open spot and was considering phoning it in when I saw that the car had a handicapped tag and all of the adjacent handicapped spaces were full, though one then opened up. While inside the building I was pleased to hear an announcement come over the speakers warning the driver he/she was going to be towed - and when we came out the car had been moved to the open handicapped space. No other S had pulled in, so I assume the service area staff is on the ball - good to see.

Good to hear - I was at the milford stop a few weeks ago and one of the spots was ICE'd.

I'm in the area on vaca and scoping out stations. There are some not even on the map so I'm adding them. Main st Hyannis area has several and there's PLENTY to do here so it's great. Would like to see more on rte 6 but this isn't too far off the path.

Yeah I added two sets of stations to plugshare in Hyannis, checked into another one, and checked out the one on Rt 6 which is currently busted (which I checked in and noted what they said). I can't believe these stations weren't on plugshare... Some of them did show up on carstations.com like this one tho: North St. Comfort Station EVCS Hyannis, MA | Electric Car Stations

- - - Updated - - -

I sat outside, had a couple beers & a salad at Prova Brazil while I charged ... very close by (you can see below). And there's a ton more in the immediate area. Probably the most convenient setup. This was around 4-6pm or so today and there was plenty of parking in that lot and the spots weren't exactly convenient so I don't imagine they'll get ICEd.
IMG_1144[1].PNG

Looks like I'm going to be in Brewster MA on the Cape next week for a couple days. Like everyone has said, there's a dearth of charging stations in that area. We'll be staying at a condo so the ubiquitous dryer outlet will probably not be an option. Anybody know someone near Brewster who would trade their dryer outlet for a pint of Vermont maple syrup? Or maybe a 6-pack of VT craft beer? You know, different strokes for different... outlets!